newbie review on gamersgate and some feedback/suggestions

General Discussions
eidolad
Ambassador
Ambassador

newbie review on gamersgate and some feedback/suggestions

Post by eidolad »

I posted for gamersgate a review based on my vast (three games played into mid-game) experience with Horizon:

*game is out of early access and is fully featured/playable*

Interested in turn-based space empires games? If so, this is an automatic buy.

Taking a bit from games Master of Orion 2, Pax Imperia, Space Empires IV etc. we fast forward to 2014 and here we have a dev patching/enhancing a game very similar to Moo2 with a dash of Pax Imperia. What's not to like?

Potential for a 5-star 4x game here if the dev can keep going to sharpen up the stability, AI, and features. In this early release version (feb 2014) I am getting "out of memory" crashes after @20 turns. So recommended to save/quit/restart after 15 turns or so once you have a pretty developed galaxy and large empire of your own.

Newbie tips: first, design your starbase and use max space. don't go crazy and spend into a deficit while colonizing and building ships. Then do try to get a starbase early...you need the starbase in order to refit a colonizer to be able to colonize another planet (the colonizer must re-enter orbit of the planet *with* the starbase in order to refit). Otherwise you have to scrap/build new colonizer ships for each and every planet...which is not sustainable.

There are a ton of features, some of which are not readily apparent. For example: it is very important and easy to terraform a planet. a) customize your starting race and ensure you have the terraforming tech b) level terraforming up a few levels and c) now when you establish an outpost on "poor, desert" Mars...you can immediately begin terraforming process *while it is still only an outpost*. Another is pollution: I found that my home planet had accumulated a "medium" level of pollution only by chance...when I moused over the relevant statistic in the planet window. Setting my planet to "clean" for few turns did wonderful things for productivity. Once the pollution was back to "low" I could set my planet back to normal.

The game is still in active development..which is why I give it 4 stars...quests, stability, and features are still being worked on. Join us! and get on the forums to add your input to how the game develops!

_________

Definitely am excited about this project and really would love to see this game continue to develop. I've already bought the expansion :) at least in my head.

Some quibbles. Apologies in advance if these are already known/to-be-addressed. Perhaps we need a "suggestions" thread:

a. an AI empire should never send an explorer to a system which has more than one scout, or may the gods forfend, a planet with a missile base. While at war with an enemy empire, I watched the AI send five consecutive one-ship explorers straight at the same planet....which happened to be mine, which also happened to have a missile base.

The AI planet in question that appeared to be sending this 1-ship armada was the AI homeworld...which was two sectors away from my planet's sector. I'm not sure if the AI was trying to send a scout to a sector *beyond* where my planet was located or not...

This effectively creates a resource sink *and* a blockade. A possible solution would be to establish a "warp ingress" bubble concept around systems: ships will be able to "pass by unengaged/unengage-able" to systems without being able to "drop warp" into that system. Ships can only enter the edge of a system after dropping from warp.

b. Custom race get a slight boost to initial ship designs: I choose a custom race, which changes the size of the core components usually...the result is that the initial "scout" build designs are usually -2 space. I.e. that nice bio-energy armor I swapped in is larger than the default build. Thus I get 1 regular, and 2 light weapons and should only be able to fit 1 regular, and 1 light weapon.

c. An auto-cleanup routine for moderate levels of pollution would nice...or least, a warning in the turn summary to alert the player to do something.

d. Much as I love the easy early terraforming...is this realistic? I get to start, with little cost, terraforming on my military outpost immediately after stepping foot upon the planet (since I chose terraforming in my custom race build). It pains me to mention this as I think it is a bit unbalancing...that is, unless the AI is doing the exact same thing and having a universe full of full-terraformed planets was the expected mid-game/end-game configuration?

e. I request a "Honey Badgers" alien race. "Cause they don't give a damn and take what they want.

f. no offense to the songwriter...but the title music is beginning to drive me insane.
Last edited by eidolad on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: newbie review on gamersgate and some feedback/suggestion

Post by Bansheedragon »

The out of memory error you mention is a known issue.
There is a thread about it in the support section, and the devs are looking into it.

I have encountered it myself, though not as early as 20 turns.
Having auto save turned on should be helpful in this regard.

Its a great game, and reminds me allot of the good old MOO games, some of the best 4x games I have ever played.

No game is perfect on release, some bugs and issues has to be expected.
However, compared to many other games this is a refreshingly stable and bug free game.

eidolad
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: newbie review on gamersgate and some feedback/suggestion

Post by eidolad »

Good to hear the out-of-memory error is being addressed!