Can only build in an order?

General Discussions
Davor
Voyager
Voyager

Can only build in an order?

Post by Davor »

Learning how the game works. I know it's the beginning so I could be wrong in my thinking here but want to make sure.

For example, I destroyed my farms to see what would happen. All I can see is, instead of upgrading them, I can only build my farms. This would make sense since I need farms first to be upgraded.

But lest say I can build farm 1 and farm 2. Do I have to build farm 1 in order to build farm 2 or would I be given the option to build farm 2 before building farm 1?

Maybe that is not a good option. Say we can build a hockey arena and a baseball field to boost happiness. I know it's not in the game but trying to get my point across. So will it give me the option to pick hockey arena or baseball field, or do I have to say build the hockey arena first since it's the first option and only once that is completed (or upgraded) then and only then I can build the baseball field.

The reason I am asking, is I want options. I don't want to just build in an order that will never change.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can only build in an order?

Post by Bansheedragon »

I'm not sure how to explain this, but I will try.

The way things work is like this.
Farm 2 is not actually a farm you can build, its additions to or expansion of Farm one.
First you build the farm, then you add buildings and other things to make it more productive.

Basically Farm 2 is a direct upgrade of Farm 1.

I agree it would be more interesting if you could have more options, but this is how things are.
The game is not so much about building the actual colonies, its more about expanding into space, building your own empire and defending it against those who want to destroy it.

Davor
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Davor »

Thanks for explaining it Bansheedragon. Maybe in DLC or expansion we can have the extras then.

More diversity would make the game more varied and not the same each time we play, so it's not the same old same old.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Certainly we take a different approach than what most 4x games do. Adding more building types is something we can consider in the future.

Your choices affect the type of colony you build and there is a cap displayed on the government building (this cap is based on planet size, homeworlds get a bonus). The order of your build would be determined on what the planet could be good at and also what your needs are.

For example: If your colony is in a system in a prime location, it will generate more trade. Or if the planet has some specials, you will want to make it a research or other type of colony. There are other considerations of course like how much money you have etc. And whether you build industry first and so on.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

hazelmike
Voyager
Voyager

Post by hazelmike »

The behaviour you describe here is implemented in Endless Space.

PS: I don't like this artificial limitation. It's like having star lanes on the "eXpand"part of 4X.
Unlike scam 98-361 exam dumps and test king dumps training program, our best loyola and www.cambridgecollege.edu online training courses provide you quick success in Tabor College

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

More diversity would make the game more varied and not the same each time we play, so it's not the same old same old.
What mode are you playing the game in ?
keller~