Non-Steam release?

General Discussions
Tarkh
Voyager
Voyager

Non-Steam release?

Post by Tarkh »

Hi to all.

I'd want to ask devs: don't you plan release Horizon on any non-Steam platform? I'd buy it immediately if it appears on GOG.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Non-Steam release?

Post by Zaimat »

Hi Tarkh!

Appreciate the feedback. We have no immediate plans with regards to making the game available on GOG but we're certainly not against it and would like to see it happen at some point. It's been mostly due to convenience, as we update the game often and GoG forces us to maintain separate game content delivery depots and other administrative overhead.

The game is available through different sources though (green man gaming, gamersgate, humble store amazon and many others) but they all use Steam keys for the delivery of the game files through the Steam client.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Tarkh
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Tarkh »

Zaimat wrote:as we update the game often and GoG forces us to maintain separate game content delivery depots and other administrative overhead.
Well, there are many fresh-released games on GOG that show no problem with regular updating :wink:
Zaimat wrote:The game is available through different sources though... but they all use Steam keys for the delivery of the game files through the Steam client.
This IS a stop-sign for me. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned but I loathe to give my money to various digital easy riders :P When possible I try to buy games directly from devs. But your button STORE makes me sad... :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Out of curiosity do you dislike Steam in particular? If for example we setup our own shop and used Steam for actual delivery of files via Steam key? As far as Gog is concerned I don't believe they offer delivery of files in the same manner if not sold direct from their own store so they can always get their cut.
This IS a stop-sign for me. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned but I loathe to give my money to various digital easy riders :P When possible I try to buy games directly from devs. But your button STORE makes me sad... :)
I understand the good intent and much appreciate it. We can hopefully have these options available in the future.

Tarkh
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Tarkh »

Zaimat wrote:Out of curiosity do you dislike Steam in particular? If for example we setup our own shop and used Steam for actual delivery of files via Steam key?
First: I absolutely dislike the need to have some little crappy soft installed on my PC just to play my favourite games!
Second: Steam EULA tells me clearly that they just sell me the access to play games they store. Gentlemen, I thought sincerely that the age of videogame slot machines is over! I'm a brontosaurus from those times when people had their own copy of a game for their money. So I'm rather ever ready to have some "troubles" with patching (not so big troubles, you know) than to feed all kinds of nimble idlers that sell me "access" to play :)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I was just about to ask this and seen this topic. I like steam, but I would love to have a non steam version of horizon that does not require me to log into steam or mess with another game client. If I can get a game on gog.com or gamersgate.com then that is where I go but sometimes steam has games that I can't get anywhere else (as in the case of Horizon)
keller~

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

keller wrote:I was just about to ask this and seen this topic. I like steam, but I would love to have a non steam version of horizon that does not require me to log into steam or mess with another game client. If I can get a game on gog.com or gamersgate.com then that is where I go but sometimes steam has games that I can't get anywhere else (as in the case of Horizon)
Its actually available on gamersgate, but its the steam version.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-HORIZO/horizon

For some reason though its still listed as early access.

And I havent seen a game on gamergate that is not a Steam, Ubisoft or similar game, that requires a 3rd party client to download and play such as Steam or Uplay.
They used to offer downloads and older games are still available as such, but new games seems to be only keys for 3rd party services like Steam.

And I'm not too sure about GOG anymore either, they seem to be in the process of launching something similar.
I'm not entirely sure, but from rumors I heard it sounds like they are moving in that direction.
Just got an email with a key to an Alpha test of something they call GOG Galaxy.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

And I'm not too sure about GOG anymore either, they seem to be in the process of launching something similar.
I'm not entirely sure, but from rumors I heard it sounds like they are moving in that direction.
Just got an email with a key to an Alpha test of something they call GOG Galaxy.
I sure hope they don't go that route. I'm a strong believer that if something is not broke you don't try and fix it.
keller~

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

keller wrote:
I sure hope they don't go that route. I'm a strong believer that if something is not broke you don't try and fix it.
Figured I would find out a little more about it.
From what I have read it seems it basically works the same way steam does, with 2 significant differences.

1. Its optional to use.
2. Its still DRM free games as before.

So you get the library with the ease of installation and auto-updates(optional) of steam, with the DRM free games of GOG,, but there is more.

You will get a rollback option.
what this does is allow you to roll back to a previously working version of the game if it turns out an update has broken the game, something steam does not have.
And you can download a backup of the installer as well if you so choose.

For more information you can check it out here.
http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Sraytho
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Sraytho »

Yay GoG. I always check them before buying from Steam, but sometimes you have to wait for updates. Even so, if Horizon ended up on Gog, I would probably buy it again there.

Vissavald
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Vissavald »

Hi.

I dislike Steam too, and I use it only if there's no other way to get a game I like AND only if I can play this game WITHOUT Steam.
Thus I've got a couple of Illwinter Games titles on Steam (Dominions 4 and Conquest of Elysium 4) but I need Steam client ONLY to download the distributive. As soon as Steam install the game, I cut it from /steamapps folder, paste it wherever I want (e.g. C:\Games\Dominions 4) and just play like DRM-free games (as they indeed are). These both games do have steamapi.dll in their folders but they DO NOT need the Steam itself, using it only as downloader.
These two aforementioned games tend to be patched often but I have no trouble to download the new distributive again via Steam, burn it to flashcard and install on my gaming PC that has no Internet connection (and never will).

So the question is, can I buy Horizon on Steam and play it WITHOUT Steam, is having the Steam-clent running (or having it installed and being offline) needed for playing?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Vissavald wrote:So the question is, can I buy Horizon on Steam and play it WITHOUT Steam, is having the Steam-clent running (or having it installed and being offline) needed for playing?
Hi Vissavald, you can play Horizon without the Steam client. You only need it to download any future updates.

Vissavald
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Vissavald »

Zaimat wrote:Hi Vissavald, you can play Horizon without the Steam client. You only need it to download any future updates.
Ho-ho, I guess I know how to spend my hidden stash on the weekend... ;)