"There's no such thing as security in this world; there is only opportunity." -- General Douglas McArthur







It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


 Post subject: Re: When can we expect some news?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 am 
Vanguard
Advisor
Advisor
User avatar
Vanguard
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:04 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Gananjia
Offline
Zaimat wrote:
Borders are based on influence, a colony or space installation can generate influence (based on various local factors) and that influence has a range and decay (curve) over distance. If two different factions have influence in the same region (border friction) the strongest prevails.

Movement and Path-finding for units respects borders and when traveling will go around other factions borders. There are of course the usual exceptions such as certain treaties or when they are attacking you, etc.

The thing that's different with how Borders are implemented in "H2" is they precisely demarcate territory and we have seamless open space travel/path-finding unlike others. In the games you mention as far as I know the shape and size of borders are visual approximations but have very limited (or non-existent) interaction with actual travel/path-finding which is point-to-point or star-to-star.

In "H1" we actually had the units travel in open-space (tactical view) but it was limited in that we didn't have a seamless map (tactical and strategic), so you couldn't zoom-in/out as they were moving, and the fact that all units moved at the end-of-turn like in MOO/MOO2. Now units move *during* the turn immediately when they receive an order. This makes it so much better in so many ways both visually and gameplay.

For colonization, the rules are that if another faction controls the system or if there are hostiles/threats in the system you cannot colonize until you remove those threats or take control over the system from the other faction. Borders affect movement, relations and influence but they don't dictate where you can and cannot colonize on their own. I think this is the right approach, what do you think?

The terrain and path-finding system is much more complex and robust in H2 so it's going to make a big difference having the different engine modifiers. Traveling through Nebulae, Asteroid fields, etc has a HUGE impact now, and your ships will path around to find the quickest route with their equipped engines.

One of the things we are improving with Weapons and Armor is resistances, weapons now deal a damage (or multiple damage) type(s) and armor resistances will only stop damage of that type (e.g: Physical, Energy, etc). There is a lot more to say about weapons, but that's for another time :)

Thanks for the long post. Can't wait to finally see some screenshots or the like. The new game sounds great.

So you mean that it's possible to colonize even if it's in the territory of the other nation? I guess a human player will think about it before doing it but will the AI nations do it as well or just keep on colonizing everywhere?

Cheers

Pascal

_________________
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: When can we expect some news?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm 
Dev. Team
Horizon
Horizon
User avatar
Dev. Team
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:04 pm
Posts: 1360
Location: Toronto, Canada
Offline
Anguille wrote:
So you mean that it's possible to colonize even if it's in the territory of the other nation? I guess a human player will think about it before doing it but will the AI nations do it as well or just keep on colonizing everywhere?


By default, Ai players respect borders and will not enter or colonize in another factions territory without the appropriate treaty. But since this is not a hard rule, it is technically allowed, so a player can do it but it will incur a diplomatic and perhaps a military response.

The only hard rule is that no one can colonize in a system where another faction has a colony or there are hostile forces. All threats have to be taken care and the system "safe" before anyone can colonize or even survey (which is required before colonizing).

_________________
Horizon - Lead Designer


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: When can we expect some news?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:56 am 
Vanguard
Advisor
Advisor
User avatar
Vanguard
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:04 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Gananjia
Offline
Zaimat wrote:
Anguille wrote:
So you mean that it's possible to colonize even if it's in the territory of the other nation? I guess a human player will think about it before doing it but will the AI nations do it as well or just keep on colonizing everywhere?


By default, Ai players respect borders and will not enter or colonize in another factions territory without the appropriate treaty. But since this is not a hard rule, it is technically allowed, so a player can do it but it will incur a diplomatic and perhaps a military response.

The only hard rule is that no one can colonize in a system where another faction has a colony or there are hostile forces. All threats have to be taken care and the system "safe" before anyone can colonize or even survey (which is required before colonizing).


Makes sense. I wonder if an aggressive AI empire will do it because they don't care (the Federation wouldn't do it but the Cardassians would surely do it).

_________________
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: When can we expect some news?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:07 pm 
Dev. Team
Horizon
Horizon
User avatar
Dev. Team
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:04 pm
Posts: 1360
Location: Toronto, Canada
Offline
Anguille wrote:
Makes sense. I wonder if an aggressive AI empire will do it because they don't care (the Federation wouldn't do it but the Cardassians would surely do it).


Definitely, this will be accounted for in the relations system. If they are hostile to you or don't respect you, they can ignore your borders.

The new relations system is now defined largely by disposition (which is how one faction views and feels of another), approval and power differential are big factors in how they will react and interact.

_________________
Horizon - Lead Designer


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: When can we expect some news?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 am 
Vanguard
Advisor
Advisor
User avatar
Vanguard
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:04 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Gananjia
Offline
So, any news? Do you have any idea when the game may be released? 2020 or 2021?

Thanks

_________________
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group