Diplomacy, Victory Conditions, Combat ?

General Discussions
Ashbery76
Vanguard
Vanguard

Diplomacy, Victory Conditions, Combat ?

Post by Ashbery76 »

What is the diplomacy model? The typical Civ model or more sophisticated like the Paradox EU series with consequence to choices and various treaty types.A Babylon5 style indepth political game would be nice.

Sandbox story campaign.How do you win the game.I see you only play humans and meet stronger Vorlon type races so I presume you could not conquer them.I like the idea of a new race on the block meeting advanced races and an imperium galactica 2 style campaign.

Invasion.Can you exterminate,enslave,eat or assimilate aliens populations.These options are important to immersion.

Tactical combat.I am aware it's turn based but would like to see it in action or some screenshots.

Espionage,Political leaders and admirals.I see nothing about them in the screenshots so I expect the answer.Maybe include them in a future expansion.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Diplomacy, Victory Conditions, Combat ?

Post by Zaimat »

Diplomacy Model:
Interaction with alien ambassadors is done with a series of choices that lead you to specific options based on your choice, current relations and tolerance.

Some of these options are:
. Different levels of trade agreements that facilitate trade
. Intelligence and research sharing
. Drawing up an armistice, peace pact, non-agression, alliance
. Co-ordinated actions between allies (embargo, blockade, attacks, defense, invasions)
. Making tributes
. Demands and threats
. Counter offers with bribes, techs and planets

Diplomacy has a big impact on your chances of survival and will define how the game progresses at different stages. It also has a direct impact on the Galactic Council.

Sandbox story campaign:
Horizon currently has two scenario modes: Normal vs Classic
In the Normal mode humans are one of the young races in an advanced galaxy with various levels of advanced civilizations and "powers". The Babylon 5 model of the humans...
In classic mode, all races begin at the same technological level with one world. The classic style of play for 4x strategy games.

There isn't a scripted campaign mode in Horizon (it wouldn't be sandbox). You make your own campaign each game. The story and lore of the galaxy is active in either mode, so the game remains a sandbox game but with a galaxy full of life. The game does have open-based missions that tie in to the story and facilitate certain victory paths, this adds to the fun but is also optional.

Possible (not always probable) victory conditions:
- Galactic Council vote
- Military Conquest (destroy or subjugate all races)
- Alliance Victory through Diplomacy
- Storyline Victory (2 different paths)

Military victory against very advanced races IS possible but improbable on your own, so you will need to make allies and also learn or find their weaknesses. All races have strengths and weaknesses (or can be made more vulnerable through certain discoveries, actions).

Invasion options: We currently have it working with assimilation since us Humans are "enlightened intelligent and decent" race :mrgreen: but we're planning all of the rest in a possible expansion where you could play other races. Except the 'eat' part I'm not so sure, perhaps if we had a cannibalistic race which finds earthlings tasty..

Tactical combat preview :) It's coming in our next update!
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Ashbery76
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Ashbery76 »

Nice and I will be playing normal mode.Hopefully future expansions will add racial polices,admirals,etc.

What kind of Galactic Council does the game have.An interactive council like AlphaCentauri with various treaties or just a voting block ala MOO2.

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Martok »

Nice, Zaimat. Can't wait to see this in action. 8)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Ashbery76 wrote:What kind of Galactic Council does the game have.An interactive council like AlphaCentauri with various treaties or just a voting block ala MOO2.
The galactic council is similar to MOO2 with a twist. Instead of two choices of leaders you can also nominate yourself for galactic leader (if you so choose) and divide the votes and the galaxy between 3 blocs. This adds another dynamic to the game in the mid-latter stages.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf