Introduction Thread

General Discussions
DevildogFF
Voyager
Voyager

Introduction Thread

Post by DevildogFF »

With the new publishing deal, I think that L30 will be seeing a bunch of new people on these forums and I thought it'd be a good idea to start this introduction thread!

So hear goes it:

I'm DevildogFF. I've been playing 4X games since I was wee, having played pretty much every single one of them since the Civilization 1 and Master of Orion 1 days. I'm 30 years old and work as a firefighter/paramedic. It's a fantastic job that allows me to stay fit and gives me decent time off (but in return, I have to work 24-hour shifts!). I've been a lurker in pretty much every 4X games' forums for years and have recently started becoming vocal with Iceberg's/Zerosum's Stardrive (check it out if you haven't!!) and realized that I really enjoy interacting with the 4X community.

So here I am, hoping to help contribute with Horizon! I LOVE THIS GENRE! :lol:
I founded and run https://www.eXplorminate.co - a 4X, Strategy, and Tactics Fansite

Saracen
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Introduction Thread

Post by Saracen »

^^^ He's also trouble this one... Watch out :P

OK, let me do this then. The name's Dave. Saracen is the name of my cat, Saracen's are within one of my favourite time periods of History, and a favourite Rugby Team, I once owned a Saracen Bike, and drunk in a pub named the Saracen's head. Mostly coincidental, but that's how the name came about.

I've been Strategy gaming since 1992. I've been mostly active within the Command & Conquer community having made friends with developers of the past and have had the opportunity to go to community summits in LA to meet them and get drunk at 4am in the morning with EA's German Community manager... anyway. Those opportunities have come about due to my extensive gaming career and previously running fansites... which I'm too old to care for nowadays.

I have always dabbled in 4X, playing Civilization, Imperium Galactica 1 & 2, Galactic Civ 1 & 2, Sword of the Stars etc... But only in the last few years has the sub-genre really taken hold and I now consider it, along with grand strategy in general, to be my favourite type of Strategy.

These days, I don't have time for AAA rubbish that gets plastered over magazines every year with how great the next annual update is. I am very much Indie development supportive, and I prefer the ideas, concepts and innovations that come with being involved in that support. I guess it brings me back to the old days of the C64 and Spektrum games where the bedroom programmer was king... They were good old days, and it's great to see that there's a nice large market for such a powerful development arc in the industry to return in earnest.

That makes gaming a very exciting prospect once more, especially with smaller teams taking on big projects such as this!

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Martok »

Welcome aboard, guys! Once the publishing deal was announced, I figured it wouldn't be very long before we saw you two here. ;)

As for myself, my name is Sam, and am a longtime fan of grand strategy games. Space 4x titles are my favorite sub-genre, with historical strategy (such as the EU and Total War series) being a close second. My first 4x game was Birth of the Federation, and I've been hooked on space strategy games ever since! (As my forum name suggests, I'm also a huge Star Trek fan. :D )
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

My name is Pascal. I know Martok from forums for many years now and am a fellow Birth of the Federation player (big Star Trek fan as well). Started with MOO in 1993 and never stopped playing strategy games.

As you can see, i am one of the oldest posters to follow the progress of Horizon...patience can be rewarded :mrgreen:

Really excited about the improved graphics...

Cheers
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Martok »

Ho there, Anguille! :)

Yeah, Horizon looks a heck of a lot better now than it did back when they first started work on it (or least from when they first released screenshots).

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

DevildogFF great idea starting this!

As for a little description about myself:

My first computer was a Commodore 128 and later an Amiga, had some of the best time of my life gaming with those machines. Played Star Control 1+2, later found Master of Orion 1 on PC. I would then mod MOO in a Hex editor to setup different scenarios and races from watching Babylon 5 the TV show. It inspired me enough that I wanted to become a game developer so I could make my own version of a 4x space strategy especially after playing Master of Orion 2.

I am also a big sci-fi fan (Star Trek, SG1, Farscape, etc).
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

29+1 , autistic. gaming since before i can actively remember with my commodore =P

remember unboxing our first nintendo. ect beat link(zelda2 technically) 7 times in succession just to see if it changes (it goes back to easymode after the first win) before 2nd grade >:)

between MOO/ civilization / the first accepted trio RTS (age of empires / warcraft / command n conquer) ((noteable acceptions for the rest not forgotten)) stratedgy games keep my mind sharp.

current loves: Dwarf Fortress, Warframes, Swtor. any and all X-com games/clones/franchises

old loves, eq1/eq2/wow (give me my life back!, then again i'd be different person without them.. 4 gf's and eventually a wife)

long time wish: a real version of Master of Orion 3, not the terrible.. ugh.. /wrist

recent wish: help test horizons ! >:)
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

FAdmiral
Explorer
Explorer

Post by FAdmiral »

Babylon 5, one of my favorite TV shows of all time. I first started my video gaming with the "Starflight" game series.
I still have the original disks & boxes. My first multiplayer experience was on "AOL" (brand new at the time) playing a
game called "VGA planets". Not much to look at but the playability was excellent for its day. BTW, I am 75.....

Jim

Ladd
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Ladd »

Welcome everyone!

I'm Ladd, 17, insomniac gamer!
Prophet Ladd, the chosen one of the universe to carry out religion to distant stars an teach the ways of breatharianism.

Gray Carlyle
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Gray Carlyle »

Hello Everybody, I am Gray and am 33 years old. I love 4x genre ever since MoO1 and played literally every 4x space game since then.

Buyed the steam early access and am very happy so far with the state of the game.

It recalls me sometimes of Babylon 5, which is a good thing, since it is my favorite tv show.

MizzouRah
Voyager
Voyager

Post by MizzouRah »

Love 4x games! I'm going to purchase this one today and give it a go.

Dairuka
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Dairuka »

My name is Dairuka.

I've been a 4x fan since my early days of playing Civilization and Master of Orion. This game interests me deeply, and I look forward to watching it evolve.

Once it's done downloading on Steam, I'll play the hell out of it.

Claude Matteau
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Claude Matteau »

Good luck with your project!
I took the decision to buy the game and support you (Alpha stage).

You'll succeed, I'm sure.

:D

P.S. I remember the old days; Atari 2600, Commodore 64, my God, what a mess !!!! :mrgreen:

Entropy
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Entropy »

Salutations

I'm Michael and I started "gaming" on a TRS-80 model 1 ( 1977-78)
I'm pretty game genre "agnostic" with my only requirement being I have to enjoy playing the game.

Looking forward to seeing if the ultimately in the end falls into the category. I'

Gunther Haldan
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Gunther Haldan »

Greeting fellow Galactic Travelers. I'm an old gamer from way back. I played my first game of Risk over 40 years ago. My first experience with computer gaming was on my brother-in-laws TRS80 in the late 70's. I still have my Commodore 64. (It was working the last time I hooked it up, but that was about 15 years ago.) My first 4X space game was Stars. Since then I've played Space Empires 3, 4 and 5; Reach for the Stars; Star General; Imperium Galacticum II; MoO II; Gal Civ I & II and Sword of the Stars I. I'm currently following the development of Free Orion. I guess you could say I've been at this for a while. This game looks very promising and I'm looking forward to following it's development.

Gunther Haldan
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders I have seen, it seems to me most strange that men should fear, see that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Vaegrant
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Vaegrant »

Hello, I am Vaegrant.
I've been a PC gamer since Labyrinth. Spent a good bit of my childhood playing Wolfenstein 3D. Got into strategy with the Xcom series.
So far this game has been a blast. I look forward to more lore and quest content added.

graybeard
Voyager
Voyager

Post by graybeard »

Hi all,
I'm greybeard, a teacher from Dundee, Scotland. Like most of the posters, I'm a big sci-fi fan and a big fan of strategy games; must be the urge to rule the universe! :) Having a go at Horizon right now.
Cheers,
G

Malkuth
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Malkuth »

Just found this game on Gamergate.. Bought it since Im a huge 4x gamer and Have my own youtube channel that I play 4x games. Im from United States Little State Named Maine.. . Just did a small playthrough.. Im pretty impressed with how solid this game is for an alpha. I Still have a ways to go in the game (the nature of record and stopping).. But so far I likes what I see.. And having a turn based 4x game again... Is a breath of fresh air.. Or old air... Is it new or old to use old methods like turn based? Oh well, anyway its nice to have a turn based game again to mess around with.

:)

Big supporter of the little guy.. Huge fan of Kerbal Space program, Stardrive, and Distant Worlds.. :)

Started the lets play of this game.. First episode is up and running. :)

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Martok »

Welcome aboard, everyone! Good to see you here. :D

aureliustratos
Voyager
Voyager

Post by aureliustratos »

hello everyone,
friends ands foes call me AureliusTratos.
and i have to admit that i do not register very often on the official forums. besides my main games, planetside 2 and EVE.
but i mostly use the forums for gathering input.

but this time something else drove me to register here. i yet have to discover the game and the available features but i have this strange feeling. The feeling that reactivates the memories of the hours and hours i have dived (diven?) into birth of the federation. the masters of orion series could not hit my very special needs of lore, style and gameplay of my taste....
but Botf did it and it is a loong time ago. but it was never forgotten. very few titles could deliver that depth that i need to bring me back every day to it.
EVE is- one big thing and then came the neverending war of planetside. that i found in the second reincarnation of it.
i often have the feelings that i wander around in oneof this fake wild west cities. Wooden fronts of buildings with painted doors and windows.

Finally i got my hands on horizon and saw in the first glimpse the potantial of this title.
i played nearly every iceberg interactive game and some other strategy titles that came after Botf and the MOO series.
and mostly (in my point of view) still these wooden cities everywhere.
When you compare star trek online and EVE online thats exactly the same case. wooden preops of asteroids of spacestations. even theinterrior is wooden in STO.
and im frustrated about it, as you can see.

Horizon. Lets hope that the horizon will be an huge one. i hope for many star systems. ( the galaxy is huge, right?) some cool tactical manuevers and a diverse fleet.
unpredictable enviroment and so on.

im glad that i found Horizon.
Lets see what it will be.

Greetings from Germany

Aure