Please make the screens easy to see and text readable

General Discussions
sgcsg1
Voyager
Voyager

Please make the screens easy to see and text readable

Post by sgcsg1 »

I've pretty much lost interest in strategy games. Why? You read about all the cool features and how great it's going to be.

Then the game comes out and.....

You need a magnifying glass to see it. The GUI is complicated with tiny little icons you have to strain to see and font you can barely read.

Seriously, this is a huge problem and people are really tired of it.

Part of the appeal of old games is.... they were easier to play. Part of that is you could look at a screen and QUICKLY tell what was going on. Why do you think there are so many 'retro-gamers'?????

Please make 'Horizon' a 'new retro' game.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Please make the screens easy to see and text readable

Post by Zaimat »

I think there is some confusion with some developers who think in order for UI to be good and modern everything needs to be iconized, small or hidden.. While there is a good argument for less clutter, I think we also want to see well laid out pertinent information at a quick glance.

A more balanced approach if you will. 4x games are already inherently complex beasts and I wanted the UI to not only look simple but also show you what your options are for managing your empire when you are starting and don't know what they are. It is a challenge and it's been an iterative process to find a good balance and there are always room for improvements.

I am glad you found the font size good. We are very conscious of the text readability and we had just tweaked some last week.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf