Late game steam rolling?

General Discussions
jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Late game steam rolling?

Post by jorgen_cab »

Just a question about how the late game will be handled in Horizon.

I must first confess that I hardly ever play the late game in strategy games because I find them boring. It's all about steam rolling all the existing opposition and are usually just tedious repetitive work, no real challenge involved.

So, how is this handled in Horizon?

Are there measures in place to simulate how hard it is to span over vast empires? I mean, it's pretty hard to control areas on earth today, how about multiple planets with millions if not billions of people in the future. Military might can not control vast populations for a very long time, especially if they are very hostile towards a central government.

Are there any internal politics system in the game or are there just a central government that control all colonies directly?

I would just like to know more about the economical and political system of Horizon, there doesn't seem to be much information of this so far.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Late game steam rolling?

Post by Zaimat »

A really good point! I also have done the same with some strategy games (like MOO) where upon reaching a certain point usually in technology and fleet size there is no longer a challenge to finish the game.

It's a really tough nut to crack. I think it has to do with game balance and also requires a really smart AI system that plays to adjust in circumstances to make allies, identify player weaknesses and make bold moves.

The ideal is a challenging game that still allows the player to win after a long hard fought struggle. But eventually there will and should come a point the player reaches that point (right?).

We are continuously improving these systems but that is just one part of it. Currently there are in place ways to 'control and convert' conquered planets after a successful invasion, more could be done given time toward what you are suggesting. The costs are also a significant drain on your economy if a colony is not producing.

We are also trying to expand the discovery phase so you can explore not just early on but throughout the game. The experience of the journey should culminate before the point where you decide there is no point to continue playing and enough incentives to continue.

Beside the usual victory conditions we have an expanded (up to 3-way voting) galactic council in classic mode that gives an option to end the game in different ways. While the mainstay (standard mode) game starts with different levels of Alien races and story missions (not required to win but helpful) which will give more choices and challenges all the way to the end-game (with additional endings).
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Late game steam rolling?

Post by jorgen_cab »

It at least sound as if you put a great deal of thought into this. That makes me happy... ;)