Love the new screenshots

General Discussions
CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Love the new screenshots

Post by CrispyMouse »

Really love the new screenshots available on Steam. Especially the one showing the research screen. I like that you are forcing us to research one thing at a time. It drives me crazy that we are a hilghly advanced race (after all we have space travel) but we can only research in one area at a time?

Looking forward to the game, everything I've seen seems to be showing my dream game.

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Love the new screenshots

Post by Grogger »

That's great to hear! I personally feel that this system is going to be hit or miss with each individual player, but I definitely like it.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

CrispyMouse wrote:Really love the new screenshots available on Steam. Especially the one showing the research screen. I like that you are not forcing us to research one thing at a time. It drives me crazy that we are a hilghly advanced race (after all we have space travel) but we can only research in one area at a time?
Exactly my thoughts as well, it feels a lot more realistic. In fact, Master of Orion I - allowed this as well, where you could develop 6 technologies (one from each category) at the same time.

We go a little further, you research all areas (but can set a major focus to a chosen tech field, eg: electronics). And then can also set a specific focus on a tech within each tech field (eg: 1 in propulsion, 1 in electronics, and so on).
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Martok
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Martok »

That's awesome, Zaimat! It's pretty much exactly how I like research to work in 4x games. :D
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

FAdmiral
Explorer
Explorer

Post by FAdmiral »

All the info screens look very easy to understand. My favorite screen is the one about the surface of the planet.
I hope this game will allow you to land on the surface, explore it and then build what you want for development.
The planets have long been neglected in all of these 4X space games. They are just as important as the space
travel and exploration.....

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by CrispyMouse »

I'm going to have to disagree with FAdmiral about landing on the surface, exploring it and then build what you want. That is a lot of micromanagement that I don't want to have to deal with.

At the moment, it seems just about right: You survey the system. It the survey picks up anything interesting you "Dig" on that planet (send an away team without me having to control each and every step). Colonize the planets you want. And then develop the five areas relevant.

Only thing at the moment is that I have to manual track which planets are fully upgraded and which are not, or go through all of them to check. An icon in the colony list would be nice.

FAdmiral
Explorer
Explorer

Post by FAdmiral »

Its all about FUN options for the players. Not everyone thinks the same things are fun.
That's why "options" are such a good thing for new games being constructed. The more
I can decide on what I want to do, the better I like the game. I actually like exploring and
discovering better than I like combat (combat outcome is optional) so the ability to make the
decision myself to either do it or relegate it to the AI should be there to choose. We ALL like
this kind of game but certain parts are more interesting than others to different players.
Lets give everyone the option to decide !!!