Firro's First Impressions

General Discussions
FirroSeranel
Explorer
Explorer

Firro's First Impressions

Post by FirroSeranel »

I'll update this as I play my first game, and just kind of... blather, I guess.

Love the intro music, and the intro stargate sequence, very cool! The robot in the opening menu is adorably quirky and cute.

Bad screen tearing during the intro video, but I think that's already been addressed with upcoming V-Sync flag.

Also, low resolution in the intro video. Hopefully that'll be improved as the game gets closer to release (package multiple rendered resolutions, or a high one and let the video player artificially lower it to fit smaller screens if need be?)

Minor typo in the intro text (which could stand to be sped up a smidge, I think, especially since much of it is a review of the video). "Portions of the data uncovered has lead to..." should be "Portions of the data uncovered have lead to..."

Zooming behavior on the galaxy map is very erratic. Zooming in behaves reasonably as expected though feels... just a bit off somehow. But zooming out is very confusing. Depending on where my cursor is on the screen (for example, in the lower left, when zoomed in on the lower left portion of the galaxy, each zoom out bounces the view alternatively to the top-right, then back to the bottom left). I would just have zoom out be centered on the center of the screen, and only have zoom in be cursor-determined.

Camera snap-to-grid in system view is jarring and immersion-breaking. Is there any specific reason for this, or can it be smoothed out?

Definitely not a fan of the slow scroll text reveal in the tutorial screens. Either present it all at once and let people read at their own pace, or present it a paragraph at a time, with clicks in between, please. It's actually not too slow for me... it's just about right. But I'm a slow reader, and even then, the text crawl is distracting and detracting from the depth of my reading.

Love the animated pictures in the buttons on the colony management screen! But they're running at a very low FPS (5-ish?). Can this be boosted?

Agree that the spinning of the planet selected in the colony management screen is frenetic and distracting. Maybe a more subtle highlight and slow spin animation instead? Something like one revolution per 5-10 seconds?

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Firro's First Impressions

Post by Grogger »

Hi Firro, thank you very much for the feedback, it's most helpful!

A small note on the scrolling text in the dialogue, you can click to have it display completely and immediately