What is in a Name?

General Discussions
FlyMario
Voyager
Voyager

What is in a Name?

Post by FlyMario »

So listen, I bought the game and am really excited by it.

I did want to make an observation however. Before buying a game I usually scan YouTube for videos to find out what it is and perhaps watch some game play. This helps me decide if it is really for me.

The issue I found was the world Horizon is so generic that anything regarding this game is lost in the noise. Knowing that a lot of people including myself have a very short span of time searching for things that we will just give up. Which I did.

I guess I would suggest that you rename Horizon to something else that isn't so common. Even my insurance company is called horizon.

Perhaps its too late to rename it. I plan on making some YouTube videos on the game and likely Twitch it (if twitch adds you to the game list).

Anyways... its a concern. I think the game has potential and hate it to loose sales just because it can't be found.

FlyMario

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: What is in a Name?

Post by Zalthun »

FlyMario wrote:So listen, I bought the game and am really excited by it.

I did want to make an observation however. Before buying a game I usually scan YouTube for videos to find out what it is and perhaps watch some game play. This helps me decide if it is really for me.

The issue I found was the world Horizon is so generic that anything regarding this game is lost in the noise. Knowing that a lot of people including myself have a very short span of time searching for things that we will just give up. Which I did.

I guess I would suggest that you rename Horizon to something else that isn't so common. Even my insurance company is called horizon.

Perhaps its too late to rename it. I plan on making some YouTube videos on the game and likely Twitch it (if twitch adds you to the game list).

Anyways... its a concern. I think the game has potential and hate it to loose sales just because it can't be found.

FlyMario

What would you call it? Last Horizon? Horizon: The Future of Mankind? Horizon: Pissing off Aliens and Buying Their Love Back?
Emperor PayPatine out!

Xenotron
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Xenotron »

Well, actually he is right.
Horizon was almost the last game in a list on the biggest Russian game related site when I tried to search in its database by "horizon".
Horizon doesn't deserve such fate...

So far I haven't seen any game content related to the word "horizon". So, it'll not harm if the game will be renamed to something else. Even "New horizons" would be much better. Or "Master of Horizon" :mrgreen:

FlyMario
Voyager
Voyager

Post by FlyMario »

LOL Master of Horizon! Nice.

The game could be called "Migrating Coconut" or anything. It doesn't change the game itself. I would like to just see the game more visible. That's all.

FlyMario

Xenotron
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Xenotron »

Well, in case of MOO it would be strange to call that game "Migrating coconut" as that game's story line was about conquering of Orion :lol:
But in Horizon I haven't met anything related to any Horizon thing, so it could be changed to some other name :)
BTW, it's called now Horizon: Alpha :mrgreen:

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

It plays both ways, we also show up first in some catalogs that matter like on Steam (english) etc. search engines will find us easy if you type horizon game. So it's a bit of a toss-up. Also as we get more known, word-of-mouth, previews, our own wiki and so it should be easier to find info about Horizon the game.

But I appreciate the concern and it is also good to know how we're appearing (or not) on other language sites. We have considered adding a sub-title to the game so we may yet do that before the full release.

For the moment, we certainly can benefit from more exposure (our publisher is helping with this) but also (when appropriate) spreading the word by all of you who like what we're doing with the game on social media/blogs/forums and so forth the word that we exist! :mrgreen:
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf