Game distribution

General Discussions
Vissavald
Voyager
Voyager

Game distribution

Post by Vissavald »

Hi to all.

Sorry if I missed the appropriate topic.

I'd want to ask: are there plans to distribute Horizon through some other ways than Steam (Desura, GOG or something else)?

I'm an avid long-time Steam-hater (let's omit the discussion why) and I see more and more people around the Net that drift step by step towards the similar feeling about Steam. The main argument that I hear here and there is that Steam is perfect for updates. I think Desura has all the same and one more plus - you are free to install Desura client or not. GOG too has now some inclination for more of new games, including games from independent developers, I have few of them and never experienced difficulties updating them.

So maybe it could widen Horizon's potential horizons... :)

Thanks.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Game distribution

Post by Zaimat »

Hi Vissavald and welcome,

Short answer: Not for launch, but I'll explain why below.

Horizon is available also on Gamersgate and GreenManGaming. At launch the game will be available on other stores as well. Though these will all use Steam client.

We're not against adding to Desura or GOG but it's basically extra work for us (which is considerable for a small team and takes away from dev. time) to maintain separate distribution files if they don't use Steam client. Then there are other things to consider like Achievements, etc.

We would actually prefer to allow direct sales from our site as well, but for same reason as noted we're currently limiting to just Steam. Post launch we will re-evaluate the situation. Cheers!
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf