How long does a game take?

General Discussions
CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

How long does a game take?

Post by CrispyMouse »

I'm just wonder how long it takes other people to finish a game?

Currently I'm working on a 10 race with missions game and I'm on turn 253.
Previously I had played another game that lasted to turn 365, where I restarted since I was just mopping up.

Just looking to get a feel for normal game speed.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: How long does a game take?

Post by Zaimat »

To add to CrispyMouse's topic: It would be good to also know if people find the length satisfying or would like games to last longer.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by CrispyMouse »

I like how long the games are taking, in fact I look forward to having the larger galaxies so that the exploration stage will take longer.

I guess I should mention that I've completed all the missions and explored / surveyed every star system.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

I suspect with more balancing certain parts average games will take a bit longer but it's hard to predict. Definately larger galaxies with more to explore will do that also.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Ashbery76
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Ashbery76 »

Most 4x games have options for slower games.In Civ its called Epic.

Slower tech times,build times,colonising times,ship speeds,etc would all be nice options.

I always feel space 4X games fall down with full map exploration happening much too fast.Civ has unpassable oceans to scale it better until galleon tech.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, i have trouble finishing them to be honest, it gets rather repetative to the point of where i build the exact same thing on every single colony, while the only time it differs is when i get a tourism bonus or not.

I have learnt that at the start you need the industry buildings, but once you get the trade income coming in, you no longer need them, so you can take them down and buy any building you want done, so i just max out research and trade/tourism and one building of the trade or tourism, whichever i do not max out, rinse and repeat.

The game can be fun, but i often tend to avoid the missions and normal game mode because the AI tend to be put around you 90% of the time and they tend to hate your guts because your home is right next to one of their colonies.

I mean several games have had 3-4 races all about me, there were no systems that i could colonize at all, i had to colonize their systems, which led to them hating my guts. I know the randomness of the starting placements are still being worked on and i hope that it gets sorted out to be truely random, not random on which race it is thats placed right by me.

Otherwise, i have yet to finish a game at all.

EisenHammer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by EisenHammer »

I'm at turn 352 in an average galaxy, classic scenario. I have 32 colonies, and a treasury of 11.5 tc with a net income of 231 bc a turn. The tech is around level 5 and 6 and I have way too many spaceships.

The game is fun. But I think it would be better if I had less money, spaceships and maybe colonies.
Also I think the techs level should probably be at a higher level at this point in the game.

mjm800
Voyager
Voyager

Post by mjm800 »

I like big games that take a long time to play....just one more turn, just one more turn.

But options are nice for those that do not. Smaller galaxy's, faster tech research and build times, for those looking to have a quick game.

I will pretty much always play on the biggest or second to biggest map (depending on if the largest lags my PC) For Civ V, I play on huge and even at the end game, there is not too much lag. I play only militaristic civs, so for me it's all about going to war and fighting long bloody campaigns. :twisted:

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

mjm800 wrote:I like big games that take a long time to play....just one more turn, just one more turn.

But options are nice for those that do not. Smaller galaxy's, faster tech research and build times, for those looking to have a quick game.

I will pretty much always play on the biggest or second to biggest map (depending on if the largest lags my PC) For Civ V, I play on huge and even at the end game, there is not too much lag. I play only militaristic civs, so for me it's all about going to war and fighting long bloody campaigns. :twisted:
The problem with Civ 5 is that they never want to agree to any treaties with me, but the next turn suggest the same treaty...it just confuses me to no end.