Feedback, comment and suggestion

General Discussions
RedMorgana
Voyager
Voyager

Feedback, comment and suggestion

Post by RedMorgana »

hi, i am italian, i am sorry for my english, non too good, i hope is understendable.
i have many feedback , and suggestion.
i dont have see bug, Horizon is very good game, for graphic, sound, structure, innovative reserch system.

Suggestion, for developers.

1) about esploration of system

a) in the middle of game, if you have many system 60 or more, waste many time for understend what you have explored and what no, i need clic system for system for see if is explored or not.
Possible solution:
adopt a symbol or a graphical method that the galactic screen, allow with a look, to see, which explored and which are not.
example:
provide the same system of a shade darker, for systems not identified.

b) screen of the selected system, if you have chosen to make the planets special rare, it is often difficult to understand, if entire system has been surveyed to be seen whether the side of the planet, there is written, poor, rich, monument, view, gold mine , or gem, etc..
but it often happens that there is nothing of this.
Possible Solution:
i think is simple in system screen, put a "S" at side of any planet is surveyed.

2) about simluator of fight
in many space game, i dont write a name here is not correct, but i can say in private, if the developer are interested, is present a simulator for test a different design of ship, befor real fight, i know is substatial additions of game, require a lot of work.
Possible Solution:
add 1 botton for open the simulator, in the design screen, and add a new screen for setup a simulation, for semplify not need a tattical screen of simulation, similar at engage system, i think is enough, next turn, in event screen, can see the esult of simulation.

3) about serch system
i think game miss the tech tree, i cant know, what i need reserch and at level, for unlock the other tecnologi.

Explanation and example:
take for esemple the tecnologi of personal shield and terraformation, i have a idea for, dont make this to similar to another game, but create a original and innovative tech tree, new i do 2 example for explane better!

Example 1
what i need reserch for unloock "Terraformation":
lifesystem lv 3, robotic, lv 4, graviton generator lv 2 (2 or 3 tecnologi, at deterinate level)

Example 2
What i need reserc for unlock "personal shield":
Fusion generator lv 2, and shild lv 3 this tecnologi we dont have, and we dont know how to unlock but we know another race have, you need ask for this tecnologi, or hope you discover in the future, or build a max level of scentific bulding, on planet , whit ancent race, or abbandoned alien base
(this make more possibiliti and give diplomatic more importance and impres at game another original element)

4) about design element

a) i dont see in descrition, of cargo hold, if is need for suppy the ship or nothing, in my first game, i have removed from alla ship, for make more space, for wepon and special element.
After i have see my ship realy slow, and i have understend, is need.
i think is good idea, write in descrition.

b) the engines and generator, are too similar, not sufficent difference, currently when i play, i take from other race or unlock fusion engine and generator, and upgrade only this.
Possible solution for example:
can do so that a engine and a generator have a greater advantage in a sense, example 2 movement points in more in combat, and 2 less in galattic viev, and another opposite.

Conclusion:
the game is very beautifull and great.
i know many of my suggestion, require hard work, and havy modify of game, but are only suggestion
but this make a better game.

For player:
for all players have problem for win a game, I tell you that the game is not as difficult as it seems to start, if you need some suggestions to win in 3 finals from me unlocked until now, ask me.

Redmorgana (-:

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Feedback, comment and suggestion

Post by Zaimat »

Welcome Redmorgana and thanks for taking the time to write the feedback in English!

For explored systems, you can tell on the Galaxy Map if a star is not explored it won't have a name.

For surveyed planet, good idea and we plan to add an easy way to see it from the planet list on galaxy map. And we like to add previously found special quest items and so on as well. This is easy to do.

We have no plan for simulator at this time, not a bad idea though but maybe we can add things like asteroids you can test weapons on ;) We will add to nice-to-have list.

We opted to not have traditional tech trees which are very linear. But I see some players who want more control over what techs they discover and we have a few ideas how to enhance the current system in the future by allowing to set a third focus on potential discoveries.

We have renamed cargo hold to supply bays in the next update to make it easier to understand what it does which is increase ship supplies. We will also look to add more tooltips there. We will also keep improving techs and their effects to make them more distinct.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Bolter
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Bolter »

Heya folks,

I'm a long time 4Xer going back to the original MoO. I figured I'd give you my 2 creds.

I got to say I love the classic feel of the game. It plays fine on my machine and I haven't had any game-stopping bugs so far. Good job!

I've only played the game in normal mode with missions on so far so I can't comment on open gameplay, but I do have some feedback for the Devs. They got a winner here, but it needs some help to be more playable.

The Har'Kan got to get toned down a bit, in the early storymode game at least. They inevitably spawn right next to you, kill your scouts on-sight, declare war shortly after, and invade you with 20+ ship superior tech armadas. That prety much takes 3 out of the Xs in the genre, and leaves you on the wrong side of the 4th. If you eXplore, eXpand and eXploit, the Har'Kan will eXterminate you.

I've restarted several times, and by staying at home building and teching up for many rounds before going out I've managed to get a decent fleet while there are still some worlds to be colonized nearby. Not long into my expansion the Har'Kan will do their thing, and war will ensue. No problem, I got ships too!

That's where the real trouble begins. In strategic move your fleets can become separated for some reason even though they have the same engines. Simply responding to an enemy incursion may disperse your forces. When you finally arrive into tactical combat you're seldom near the enemy, and then you have to risk CTS to come to grips with them. Auto only seeks piece-meal self immolation, so if you want any sort of battle you have to manually click for it. To quote Radioactive Man, "The Spaahce bah does nohthing!" Devs, if you allow fleets, please allow fleet movement. By that, I mean all together at the best speed of the slowest vessel.

As far as combat itself, missiles are not very useful in their current form. They just sit there after they're deployed and simply draw fire. I think I've may have seen one actually move and hit an enemy, but I could've imagined too. You could call them decoy missiles and leave them as they are too.

You cannot board ships with a working engine, even if they're stationary. I thought that was what the engines in assault shuttles were for Xb

There are starbase and shipyard icons by planets in the game. Please add icons for specials, or add a log for specials. Clicking all over for them is tedious, specially the mission ones. Also, a planet finder for explored systems that you haven't colonized, please.

Finally, I respect that you're not going with a set tech tree progression, but researchers could give some hints as to what tech choices are more promising to pursue, as related techs are researched.

Fun game guys. Good luck with development ;b

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Thanks for the great feedback Bolter, we're looking at all the points you brought up and we will keep improving those areas. We're happy to hear you had fun!

Pilgrim
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Pilgrim »

1) I agree about the benefits of graphic symbols. Especially to designate a surveyed planet.
2) A simulator would be cool. Already sorta have have one in the tactical.
3) I also would like to see the tech tree, be nice to know for example how to get to shields.
4) I have left my cargo holds in the spirit of a beta. But no more than 1...
5) Agree the engines etc are too close in specs. Would especially like some trade offs, for example; faster interstellar speeds, maneuver,, system speed...
6) Fleet commands would be very helpful. Selecting multiple friendlies, creating tactical groups, giving group commands. Make combat smoother.
7) Upgrading shipyards & starbases would be cool.
8) More lists! All stars, planets & sortable?
9)Tech trading, not just demanding?
10) Um...bigger maps? Bigger umm...multi-player? How about thoughts about government types, economic strategies etc.?

As someone that may still have the old floppy discs for Civ 1 & MoO...this game is simply amazing. The mix of strategic & tactical is a nice balance. It has so far (a week) worked smoothly on my Dell. Been waiting for this game...for quite some time.

Verak
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Verak »

1.) I am sorry if this has been discussed; but all terran planets appear to be the same (they all look like earth in the sector view screen). Will there be a variety of topographical planetary terran maps and unique topographic home world maps? Color coding quadrants (a small screen similar to the sector map (galaxy map)) bottom of the screen?
2.) The Varaians, Har'kan, and Kortahz races are suppose to be ancient and the Kortahz supposedly created the other younger races shouldn't they have more advance technology (maybe unique only to them), and more powerful ships.
3.) creating a spy network (spies for offensive and defense missions); new tech tree for spy tech?
4.) Race territory: the empty space between the sectors around sectors colonized -will there be territorial maps for each race and any incursion into the region trigger war or open com channel; having a buffered zones on sectors with a star system that is in dispute between a race.
5.) under ship design will fighters be added as a separate design; scouts get more space added to allow shielding and cloaking -my scout keep getting destroyed
6.) when sending an assault team to a ship can the ship be acquired when the enemy is eliminated from the ship and then reverse engineer so any useful tech can be added to new ships.
7.) Building stargates (one per sector) to allow instantaneously travel one turn; can be operational without a second one built; however, will have negative consequences throwing the ship anywhere in the galaxy (thrown into a star, blackhole or planet destroying the ship) or lost in the universe.
8.) increasing the tech levels up to 15-20?
9.) option to have an auto governing system of a planet (assigning economical, agricultural, scientific or military development); possibility of revolting and separating from the empire.
10.) encyclopedia for technologies, weaponry, armor, etc.

The game has been and continues to be fun and addictive. Thank you to the developers for creating this game. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a 4x space strategy game (last ones was Birth of the Federation and Galactic Civilizations II).

Madbiologist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Madbiologist »

Verak wrote:2.) The Varaians, Har'kan, and Kortahz races are suppose to be ancient and the Kortahz supposedly created the other younger races shouldn't they have more advance technology (maybe unique only to them), and more powerful ships.
3.) creating a spy network (spies for offensive and defense missions); new tech tree for spy tech?
4.) Race territory: the empty space between the sectors around sectors colonized -will there be territorial maps for each race and any incursion into the region trigger war or open com channel; having a buffered zones on sectors with a star system that is in dispute between a race.
6.) when sending an assault team to a ship can the ship be acquired when the enemy is eliminated from the ship and then reverse engineer so any useful tech can be added to new ships.
7.) Building stargates (one per sector) to allow instantaneously travel one turn; can be operational without a second one built; however, will have negative consequences throwing the ship anywhere in the galaxy (thrown into a star, blackhole or planet destroying the ship) or lost in the universe.
8.) increasing the tech levels up to 15-20?
I can give some feedback about some of your points and suggestions:

2) If you play Normal they are. First each race has different starting techs (which are unique and some are superior to others even at level 1), but at Normal they will start at different levels and will start with more than 1 colony as well. So they increased tech level, different starting tech (giving even more benefits), and starting with more worlds from the get go make that actually quite more advanced. It should have been enabled in the latest version I think.

3) Espionage was suppose to be in the in game, but I think it might get implemented post release. The standing view is it should be awesome to have, but it needs to be awesome on its own too (as in the devs don't want to shoehorn something that feels like an afterthought). So it is indeed being considered to be added into the game.

4) Already in, They are those little bubbles you see around systems. Personally I would like it if they did grow as a race progressed (as in have a stronger projection of influence), that might be something to consider.

6) Already in, when you scrap a captured ship you have a chance of learning the secrets of the tech that was in it, effectively reverse engineering it. I do agree with the process though, it is hard to reverse engineer something you do not even have a clue about it when it is still in use. There is only so much you can learn about it while watching it in action. You need your eggheads to rip the thing apart and see the little parts inside of it to know how to build it yourself, and you can only do that if you rip the ship apart. Most 4X games that have reverse engineering always required the ship to be salvaged first to learn the tech, so this process is not new.

7) Already in, it is an archeotech (something you can discover via an archeology dig); I think you can unlock randomly while researching but I am not sure, also there will be other ways to acquire it in game (perhaps via story missions). From what I saw, it does seem to be a rather rare tech.

8 ) The current attempt at balance is intending to have level 10 hard to reach and you probably wouldn't be able to research too many techs to reach that level by the time the game ends. What will more levels give you?
-Do you want a higher plateau (as in things can get even better... not sure about that one because the level 10 of many techs are scary as is, have 2-3 that stack... and you get some massive bonuses, and the weapons and armours are quite powerful at those ranges)?
-Or you would it rather be more gradual, like each level gives a little less (so the plateau stays the same), but it becomes easier to research each level?
-Or both, more gradual and easier per level, but also still have an increased plateau (though not as much as it would with just the first one)?
Verak wrote:1.) I am sorry if this has been discussed; but all terran planets appear to be the same (they all look like earth in the sector view screen). Will there be a variety of topographical planetary terran maps and unique topographic home world maps?
5.) under ship design will fighters be added as a separate design; scouts get more space added to allow shielding and cloaking -my scout keep getting destroyed
9.) option to have an auto governing system of a planet (assigning economical, agricultural, scientific or military development); possibility of revolting and separating from the empire.
I do agree with your (1), I wish Terran worlds had a little more random generation. At the moment most look like Earth with the continents Lego-ed. Though it is a purely cosmetic change, I still think it will help with immersion. I'd still rather see gameplay features, modifications, balancing, and other slightly more pressing cosmetic effects get handled first (this would be a low priority for me but in the end I would still like to see this get addressed, and hopefully if it is easy to implement done sooner if it doesn't take priority from something else).

I can get behind customisable fighters (5), they it should be limited what they can have it be interesting to be able to decide if it will have 2 guns, or 1 gun and a shield (or replace the shield with stealth or cloak) and be able to select different armour and weapon type it has equipped (something people have asked for Starbases actually).

I believe (9) was discussed elsewhere. Some people did ask for the option to have governors assigned. Though the game is easy to Micromanage so it was not heavily requested but I think it has been considered.

As for the second part, that be interesting. I think the game could benefit from a morale/happiness system (with an order mechanic to help). Entertainment Centers could have other uses besides just making money (tax rate might be adjustable even), and obviously maintaining fleets just to keep a system in check would be a burden on your economy. You can have revolting planets then, which I do think would add to the game and to your management considerations.

This said, I suspect something like that will be a significant change in the game and probably won't happen easily, also it will significantly increase micromanagement as well (also code the AI not to kill itself on it either). That said, if it is a feature we want we should ask (though I suspect such matters will be discussed post launch though, though I may be wrong on this). Personally I would like it if we did have this layer of management in the game.

tykemalcolm
Voyager
Voyager

Post by tykemalcolm »

Just started playing the game and I must say that I do like it - I'm enjoying playing. Getting up to speed without reading the manual first is not easy. However, after reviewing the manual, the interface was easy to use. I have noticed that some users have complained that the interface is clunky - I personally don't think so - it's funtional.

I would like to see a way of listing systems that have been visited, with filter(s) that can be used to view habitable planets within the system(s). Also, when listing the colonized planets, how about a list of what each planet is constucting? Having to look at each planet individually is time consuming.

As suggested by others, a sandbox would also be great as it would provide almost infinite replayablility.

I don't have any other suggestions or requests at this time. Keep enhancing the game and it will turn into a great game.

tykemalcolm
Voyager
Voyager

Post by tykemalcolm »

After playing a little more, I have another requst/suggestion - on the planet screen, display the maximum population as well as the current population and growth.

Drew
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Drew »

Hi folks,

I've only been playing the game for a couple of days, so some initial thoughts; apologies if these have already been suggested, but it's hard to catch up on all the threads. These thoughts are not in any particular order, so they jump around a bit:

1) Starting with something simple, can we have some colours on the legend, rather than just an on/off switch? It would help to see what is actually being turned on and off on the galaxy map.

2) In the Sector View (I think I have this right), there are times when the yellow grid, showing the possible moves of a ship, overlaps the sun and in these circumstances you can't see where you can go; don't pilots have Raybans in this universe?

3) The starbase is shown in the ship list as available to receive orders, though as far as I understand things, startbases don't move and shouldn't really be in the list? I know if you go to the combat view they can take part in battles.

4) A way of searching for a star system in the galaxy would be helpful; panning around looking for a name is a bit of a pain. Likewise manually searching for a co-ordinate is awkward, a search tool would be better.

5) Sometimes when hovering the mouse pointer over the icons that provide the costs to complete a build project doesn't show the cost - seems a bit intermittent.

6) The auto functions on the battles is a little too quick, it would be nice to read what is actually happening; likewise the small text in the upper light box describing ship damage is a bit basic.

7) Even with full shields, ships seem to lose weapons very quickly to enemy fire?

8) In the galaxy view, when you have a system highlighted and the ships in that system are shown - if you are giving a given ship orders, then can that same ship be highlighted in the list of ships (assuming that window is open). There is useful information on the ship list that is not otherwise present.

9) Can the ship and colony windows both be open at then same time? Can the size of these windows be changed (it's easy to forget that you can scroll down and ships get forgotten about). Perhaps even combine both windows?

10) The drop down window that occurs at the end of every turn becomes superfluous after you get use to the game; I find myself stepping through each colony and each ship every turn. Perhaps prevent the window from appearing, unless a major event occurs, like a change in status with a race, or tech. advances?

11) How about adding some tech. that allows colony ships to automatically return to the nearest starbase to restock? Perhaps also add colony managers (I may be stealing this idea from Endless Space).

12) I may be only into the early stages of the game so far, but it would be nice to see tech. advances offering new facilities at the bases, say increase in the number of buildings, or completely new facilities. I assume the ability to colonise some non-terran worlds appears at some point.

Just some first thoughts.

Cheers,
Andrew

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Drew wrote:3) The starbase is shown in the ship list as available to receive orders, though as far as I understand things, starbases don't move and shouldn't really be in the list? I know if you go to the combat view they can take part in battles.
It's listed to show info about it, even though you can't give orders to it currently. It would be easy to exclude it from the list.
Drew wrote:7) Even with full shields, ships seem to lose weapons very quickly to enemy fire?
This should only happen if they have shield piercing weapons (Particle cannons for example).
Drew wrote:11) How about adding some tech. that allows colony ships to automatically return to the nearest starbase to restock? Perhaps also add colony managers (I may be stealing this idea from Endless Space).
Currently if you move a ship to a system with a starbase/shipyard/colony they will automatically move to orbit and dock for repairs/refits/upgrades or to replenish troops. But you have to move them to the system first as the game can't tell if the player wants to move a ship or not. This would have to be like a checkbox option.
Drew wrote:12) I may be only into the early stages of the game so far, but it would be nice to see tech. advances offering new facilities at the bases, say increase in the number of buildings, or completely new facilities. I assume the ability to colonise some non-terran worlds appears at some point.
Once you discover terraforming you can build colonies on other types. We're in the process of enhancing terraforming.

Thanks Andrew, for these and the other suggestions to enhance things.

tykemalcolm
Voyager
Voyager

Post by tykemalcolm »

I'm a realtively new player to Horizon. However, having a number of hours invested in the game as well as having read quite a few threads here in the forum, I must agree with the following suggestions from various contributors....

1) Terraforming can have a major impact on the game depending on how it is implemented.

2) The home planet (Earth) and colonies need a way to grow beyond the current limitations of 9 buildings for a colony and 12 for earth. I realize that terraforming will allow a larger population, but there needs to be more buildings such as in Endless Space. This would give more opportunities to grow a colony into a city. After all, would earth always be the largest planet in its empire - maybe, but other cities on other planets would grow differently, and so some would be way bigger than others.

3) Would also be nice to have more ship classes (sizes).

4) I would like to see a wider/deeper tech tree that not all races have acess to, as in Sword of the Stars, which has a variable tech tree each game, for each empire. Certain techs are fixed, but the tree is mostly randomly generated at the start of the game. The missing techs can be found/researched by capturing enemy ships.

5) The planets need more variety in what they generate resource wise. Generic values of abundant; poor; etc. are too generic. A really poor planet should probably not ever be able to gow to the size of earth without some serious terraforming. Small and poor planets should not ever be able to grow to the size of earth, or any other planet with a better baseline.

Anyway, that's all for now until I find something that jumps out at me, or the next serious version.

boxoffrogs
Voyager
Voyager

Post by boxoffrogs »

Can we upgrade anywhere there is a shipyard? Does not seem to be working. Is there a specific upgrade command?
One test is worth a thousand opinions.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

boxoffrogs wrote:Can we upgrade anywhere there is a shipyard? Does not seem to be working. Is there a specific upgrade command?
Yes, ships dock for automatic upgrades (components will be upgraded to the current tech level) if there is a shipyards or station.

You can order them to orbit the planet or if they are awaiting orders (and need an upgrade) they will move automatically on their own at the nearest shipyard/station within the system.

Manual refitting (re-designing an existing ships components) is not currently possible but it's on the list of future things to do.