What is your standing on gameplay footage and let's plays?

General Discussions
AccidentalPsychopath
Voyager
Voyager

What is your standing on gameplay footage and let's plays?

Post by AccidentalPsychopath »

As the title asks, what is your standing on gameplay footage and let's play videos?
Are you for or against videos posted by independent gameplay footage makers?
Also if you are pro game footage are there any stipulations that you do or would have for said footage.
Thank you for any and all responses.

Soilwork595
Voyager
Voyager

Re: What is your standing on gameplay footage and let's play

Post by Soilwork595 »

I'm all for seeing "Let's Plays" or "First Impression" videos. As a consumer I believe we should see what we are going to be spending our money on. Those videos also inspire, or motive me to play that game, if its something good of course. I have bought countless games based off watching other gameplays. I was able to get a better understanding of what the game was. I don't have any requirements from the video maker, just as long as they explain the game and play though it(so I can see how the game is like). The only bad thing I can think of from gameplays is a bad game hurting the company. You make a game, you want people to buy it obviously. You make a bad game, people are able to watch videos of "said" bad game and not buy it. So I guess don't make a bad game and you wont have a problem

StoneCold822
Voyager
Voyager

Post by StoneCold822 »

I personally have not purchased a game without first checking it out on the 'Let's Play' circuit. Thanks to all who 'boldly go where no one has gone before'. Bring them on! :mrgreen:

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

I rarely watch them.
If I do, it's with the sound turned off and I skip to the parts I want to check.

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

I appreciate Let's Plays' and I often view them before purchasing, though I can never take away from it a strong sense for the game, only a small hint of what it's like. I think this only makes sense, since gameplay styles are personal, and different styles of play can change an aweful game into a great game (...sometimes)

Gliese
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Gliese »

It can be nice to see footage of a game 'in motion' but I tend not to be very fond of listening to people make unfunny jokes over gameplay. Sure, they're rarely blocking plot, but - if I could somehow mute the voices, I'd still rather listen to the in-game effects then someone talking.

That being said, I don't think they're going anywhere, and I don't really see any harm by them - just not really my thing.