Has the game AI been reverted to an older version?

Anything related to the test branch versions
Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Has the game AI been reverted to an older version?

Post by Bansheedragon »

I am unsure if this should be a support question or a gameplay questions, but I'm trying to post it here in the hopes that someone here can provide some insight.

I got the latest modding beta version of the game.(v 1.0.1.112)
I play as Humans.
I play normal version with missions
I play on very easy.

I lost count of the number of games I played by now, and they always end up going to hell, and now I would like to know what is going on here.
Its the same thing in every single game.

Every single time I play, not matter what AI opponents I choose, there is always one AI opponent thats is getting developing at least twice as fast as every other "player" in the game.
Which of the AI opponents does this varies depending on what opponents I choose at game start.

I always have this opponent, sometimes 1 or 2 others as well, start making demands of me, they demand tribute, tech and star system.
If I were to accept all their demands, I would remain in good standing, but I would end up having my empire and income dwindle into nothing in very short time.
As a result I always refuse these demands, except for tech where I ask for tech in return, problem with this is that my relations to them will deteriorate to the point where they will become hostile and eventually declare war on me.

This happens regardless of treaties, and while I can give them gists to appease them , this will only postpone the inevitable, not to mention that I dont think I should be required to give gifts all the time just to avoid war.

This always happens right around the time when I finally start to have an income that allows me to build and support planetary defenses and a fleet, sometime between rounds 200 and 300.
The result of this is that the AI will have the resources to build massive fleets, which they then use to attack me with.
I on the other hand barely have enough resources to build enough ships to withstand the first 2-3 waves of attacks, after which the AI will start to overwhelm me.

It has become extremely frustrating, because I feel that I am now completely unable to progress beyond this point of the game.
I tried slow expansion, I tried fast expansion, but no matter what I do its simply impossible for me to even try to catch up.

I remember this being a problem in an older version of the game.
It was quite some time back, sometime well before the first major update of the game, so I was curious if the game AI has somehow been reverted to that old way again or if something in a recent update is causing the game to give one AI opponent some kind of major advantage that is not intended.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Has the game AI been reverted to an older version?

Post by keller »

Actually, the mission based game will always put you at a disadvantage and it is by design.
Classic mode on the other hand will always start all races at the same tech (equal footing).
Hence, I always play in classic mode and not because I don't like the missions, but because it starts everyone at the same tech level and equal number of planets making it a totally even playground.

When starting a new game hold your mouse over where you choose classic or normal and a more detailed description will appear. You will note that in the normal mode some races are given different amount of planets and also have a higher default tech whereas you start at tech level 0.
keller~

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

I'm not sure you understand the problem here

I dont mind starting at a disadvantage, as long as I have a chance to at least keep pace, not end up as the underdog that everyone will attack every singe time.
My issue is that a randomly selected AI opponent, depending on which I choose to play against, seems to be given an advantage that is impossible to catch up with, not just by me, but the other AI opponents as well.
This AI will always turn hostile and start attacking me just as I'm getting enough resources to start building my own fleet, but before I have enough resources to actually defend myself against said race retaliate.

Personally I prefer the mission based gameplay, as it offers some story based elements that adds more flavor to the game for me.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I dont mind starting at a disadvantage, as long as I have a chance to at least keep pace, not end up as the underdog that everyone will attack every singe time.
It is fairly hard to catch up in the mission mode. You can use diplomacy to trade for a tech that makes your enemies weapons obsolete or useless with a race that you are on good terms with.
keller~

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

The difficulty level reduces the AI starting levels in Normal Scenario mode so it does reduce their tech advantage (many still start with more colonies, although undeveloped). Still, while classic is a viable play option the Normal mode is the default Horizon game play mode and at easy or very easy should not be too difficult for the player.

So I suspect this has something to do with our recent changes. The experimental branch will be updated before the weekend with a more up-to-date version that fixes a few bugs with the AI and introduces command points which will offer a different experience (less ships). Your feedback will be most valuable if you have time to try it out as always. We hope to bring this update live next week to everyone.

Note: Playing with the experimental branch while more up-to-date, these things can potentially happen: whether it's new bugs or balance issues. This is normal in the process of adding or making changes although we test a lot, more play testing is necessary (us and you both) until we feel it's good to go in the main live branch.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf