Fairin's NEW list of testing for devs =(^.-.^)=

Anything related to the test branch versions
Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Fairin's NEW list of testing for devs =(^.-.^)=

Post by Fairin »

Alpha version 3.37 (0.0.3.37)

uploaded 2 saves depicting a war on 4 fronts with 4 simultaneously with 40 ships ending up a horrid click fest not even sure which system i was in (too zoomed in for me) or which ship to go next, ships getting turns skipped.

loosing the ability to auto bombard made bombing a planet to submission a ~NIGHTMARE

switched to troop transports, took me FOREVER to find what the tooltip told me to do to refill my troop pods "use the arrows!" my first reponse was arrow keys =) not the tiny up and down arrows on the side of the planets interface

also all 10 of my ships had 1 pod on them each, for unitys sake. only 4 were allowed to put troops on when i told them to orbit earth (the conga line) so i told them to orbit mars. the first 4 lined up nicely to mars while the rest loaded up troops from venus (when they all had the orbit mars command) - might be saved on the autosave - however its just how the auto ai handles ship movement and the range to deploy troops to ships.

- in a save provided (auto 2415) one of my colonies got attacked by a fleet (no warning of a fleet incomming ><) *granted i did declare war on the galaxy* i bought a mother ship to defend hte planet, and for whatever reason the ai did not attack the ships - even as they attacked it! manually controlling it i was able to stomp them flat. but thats something the auto combat should have handled.

requesting a "these ships are moving toward your star system(s)" with a little colored flag complete with bells and whistles =)

Also i have been testing some "min maxing" of my economy - and "generally" the last rank of entertainment (planetary coliseum) isnt worth it because of the maintence cost *EARLY GAME Late game its rediclious, but the balancing probably isnt in the books yet which brings me to ask, what are you guys focusing on right meow? so i can devote some time to it?
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

Madbiologist
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fairin's NEW list of testing for devs =(^.-.^)=

Post by Madbiologist »

Solid Battery of feedback Fairin, as always. ;). I would like to add a bit to it (and counter-point, sort of) one of them.

Troop Pod is indeed not as intuitive as it should be. Also, I feel the direction of the arrows are even more so unintuitive. Down arrows puts troops 'up' orbit in the ship, and the up arrow puts troops 'down' on the planet; feels like it should be the other way around, up to load onto ship, and down to place them on a planet.

The one I have to disagree with is I prefer the new bombard mechanic a million times over the old one. Still room for improvement though (expanded later).

Now, yes if you do want to extra soften-up a planet or glass it from orbit it becomes monotonous and is a nightmare if you need to do it a lot... but before.... Before you fleets would 'accidentally' glass worlds before you can even land troops, a large enough fleet would do so in one turn (strategic turn) even before you can give the invade command. Even a small fleet would if your troop transports were a few turns behind (a common tactic to bring in troops ships after the main battle fleets). It made conventional invasion nigh impossible. You had to manually control your fleet for 20 turns (and with 10+ ships this was hell), for several turns (heck even for 1 turn it was hell), to pull off a normal invasion. Now -THAT- was a nightmare.

Also, in the old system fleets would... argoe planet like a Raid Boss from an MMO. Once it found a planet, it would bombard it to glass... give it orbit another planet order, give it a move to another system order... nothing worked... say hello to glassing every planet of that star system no matter what. Practical when you wanted that, completely painfully frustrating when you wanted to invade or just de-militarise the enemy. Nothing short of manual control or scrapping your fleet would work (which was also the solution for the previous problem).

So I will take the new system over the old system a million time over.

Alright, how to improve it all. Perhaps have a command in the Strategic Phase along with invade called "Bombard" or something more overt, when selected and selected a planet, your ships would bombard the planet till all is destroyed. Like it did in the old system, but only for the designated planet. Otherwise fleets only destroy defenses and then move on (making invasions possible).

This way, you don't accidentally vitrify planets, and still have the option to glass a world and be able to have that happen via auto-combat... best of both worlds. The other way of doing this is having a sort of planet attack stance in the tactical mode. Default would be set to only weaken planets (like the new system, and to avoid accidentally glassing), but you can switch to complete bombardment mode, which will let your fleets glass a world even in auto (similar to the old system).

Also, I think when you vitrify a world from orbit, it should incur the same diplomatic penalty as if you invaded and did genocide. Effectively it is the same result when it comes to your populace. It should be a ruthless action used by those that don't mind it (declare war on the whole galaxy and stuff like that). Either case, I do agree, we should have the option to have this done even on auto, but it still needs to be a decision to do so... it shouldn't happen on its own or accidentally like it did in the old system.

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

hehe, i wasn't nessarily screaming omg revert back to old mechanics!! =P

my highest hope is the horizonized version of the moo2 invasion screen.

another hope is the disregard to where your ship is in the system at the time so you can invade with all 10 ships if all 10 ships were givin the invasion order and the "conga line" they formed makes 6 of them out of range. =)
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

assimiliating a colony - 0% workers 0% farmers 0% scientists - (moderately high techs - mid to late game)

*barsig homeworld*
7b barsig's about to become Fairinites, er humans
total research per turn 0
total food per turn -17.5bc (food imported)
goods produced 0u
goods trade +0mc
trader traffic +6.65bc
planetary coliseum +5.4bc
industury cap 99
(all planetary structures at max level)

colony can produce buildings. and space craft like a normal colony with "0%" workers

colony net income -8.95bc

a planet being assimiliated should be the biggest cost for the most loyal citizens, and produce nothing includeing trade (even as traders bring food.. from where exactly? vending machines? hehe - probably to be addressed later im assuming.

a subjugated planet should have an option to assimiliate at a later time (perhaps at a steep penalty credit or time wise or just the same . put the whole planet in assimiliate mode) are there any current penalties for enslaved population over normal? (wasn't able to find any difference at all)

an eradicated planet is the ideal choice so far, since your population will flood a new planet like hungry puppies hearing a bag of kibble being shaken. usually comes with some buildings already built and has an instant economy

i belive eradicating a planet should infuriate the galaxy of your genocide (bring it!), subjugateing a planet should really piss off its holder (and any allies they have) while an assimiliated colony would carry the least diplomatic penalities.

in the saves i already sent i enslaved the tantik homeworld(yergat system). and have a fleet positioned to bombard the Barsig Homeworld (Raskan I)

also please observe how redicliously op shields are (i know its not balanced yet) but still a station + all the missles dont even get a quadrant down? =)

Missles

missles i tested against had 20 hp my light lasers did 10 dmg per shot meaning 6 pt lasers broke 3 missles out of 9 while invading a planet (solo mothership)

the theroy, please correct me if im wrong Zai

1 lt laser vs 9 missles = 8 missles left
1 hv laser vs 9 missles = 8 missles left
9 lt lasers vs 9 missles = 8 missles left
1 lt laser in 8 hardpoints vs 9 missles = 1 missle left
9 hv lasers vs 9 missles = 8 missles left
1 squardon of fighters vs 9 missles = 8 missles left

makes shipdesign to incorporate light lasers all the way around the ships hardpoints, fighters loose some missle hunting glory. or /ignore missles since they dont even dent the motherships shields anymoar (mid to late game)

in moo2 it did the same, however each weapon fired individually i.e. 99 shield piercing autofiring + ignores armor + double dmg to shots that penetrate shields = 1 phaser fires per missles blowing 3 up, (also blows battleships in one "triple" shot hehe.) leaving 98 phasers unfired if taking down 3 missles.

Horizonize it please ! >:)
=(^.-.^)=

Madbiologist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Madbiologist »

I haven't had a chance to do a lot of fleet battles (especially the big ones), so does it do the conga line formation and lock-up still?

I tested that a lot in .34 a lot, what causes it and how bad it can get.

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

try invading a system with 50 motherships >:)
=(^.-.^)=

Zalthun
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Zalthun »

Fairin, I love your enthusiasm and your effort, but...you warmonger! A war on 4 fronts?! I've only been able to diplomatically piss off two factions. Did you open relations by shooting their ambassadors?

(All meant in jest for good fun.)
Emperor PayPatine out!

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

"He (Fairin) rules the Greatest Empire in living history, his soldiers bravery at his command."

"His army is undefeatable, his ships patrol the skys, of every planet and Galaxy. This Galaxy. heh heh"

"What other challanges Await?" - Fairin (via Moo2)

i should have sent 3 motherships to each homeworld and demand their surrender (after TAKING it of course glass has a wonderfull surface color on planets...)

for grins load up moo2, get these tech's. phaser (research max weaponry to autofire/shield pierce) load achillies targeting unit, structural analizer, phaseing cloak and time warp thingy and the energy weapon thingy that allows you to shoot twice in one turn. but next turn you get no shots =) the ship is undefeatable except by a specific ship, the same ship without a time warp =) *save space, shields are not nessary*

*undefeatable was tested in a huge galaxy playing only on my home system and i let them ally and declare war on me >:) the entire galaxy's armada couldnt touch my home planet due to "one" ship >:)
=(^.-.^)=

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

Alpha 3.38

saves sent with the issues i had with bombardment - not exactly sure what the problem was but ordering to bombard made my fleets return home (tested with different types of ship weapons on board)

Invasions need to be tweaked to happen sooner (perferably at end of combat - do you want to invade? y/n)
had an issue with a planet able to rebuild its missle defenses before i could do anything about it even as the bombs dropped i couldnt invade cause it was "always" defended, secured the sector with 17 motherships (10 laser barges 5 missles and 2 bombers)

Weapons shrinking in size = Fantastic. feels like the computer doesnt capalize as much as i do on this however. was able to fit 9x1 missles or bombs on a ship to test really well =) heres how it went.

new Aegis styled Avatar class Battleships included 14 (2x7) frontal mount heavy lasers (rk10) 2x2 light lasers on each side, and 1x1 lt lasers in the rear quadrant. once shields were researched they rocked the galaxy. as getting a little frigate come up and pop a cap in your frontal mounted lasers makes the ship loose a ton of bite. comes with 4 cargo holds for its own supply

Missle Barge - 5 cargo holds 1 shield, missles on side quadrants, first generation was 1 missle with 9 ammo, second generation was 9 missles with 1 ammo, in 4 quadrants did around 600 dmg per missle to a planet from extreme range (2400 per ship!) so 5 would take out a planets missle base (in theroy) from very very long range.

Bomb Boats - same as above cept bombs instead of missles, getting in close requires some coverfire but just 2 salvos from 9x4 bombs takes out the entire planetary defense, 2 ships rendering a quick planet bombardment

in the end the revisions of my ships would probably end up with missles being 1 with 9 ammo for sustainabilitys sake. bombs however 1 shot wonderships, i think i'll call them "the boys" next time.

also 9x4 missles that mirv blow up -anything- so far 1 shot a space station for giggles.

i was under attack by the kamzeks while not at war with them, i even took one of their primary planets from them (sparta with fifteen billion people!) and still did not declare war on me, (which made my ships act stupid in combat when they came around) now that i think about it - might have caused the issue with bombardment.

Combat refinement request(s)

Fleet positions and Group move for "distance travel"

a BOX around planets to indicate "in range for invasion"

the ablity to "group" ships up in a formation and move and fire them as one.

ships with Orbit commands "get in" the new Box around a planet, instead of forming a conga line.

Reload troops automatically please?

*galaxy map*
please turn squares RED with enemy ships with their predicted couse in BRIGHT red if heading toward one of my colonies, i noticed some ships heading sometimes. but not all the time, im pritty sure i could detect them as they were passing my frontline to get at alanis system. neutral ships and your ships could use some love that way too.

the option to turn off the graphics for "Trade routes" cause it gets a little out of hand once you disco the entire map, i end up declareing war on everyone just to make them go away.

when i double click on a star it zooms me into tactical mode, sometimes i feel remenicent of moo2 but cant "See" the system just the "too damn close" tactical view, ps scrolling drives me nuts.

would also request a "SEND COLONY SHIP" button.

** Economy

check my planets in my auto saves over for economy refinements. i made a few industry few agricultural and a few research planets . with some basic "does everything" planets thrown in - check out the planet with nearly 500bc profit a turn. (kathros) ("late game" - nearly every tech is researched)

note on pluto the entertainment doesnt pay for its own upkeep, maybe smaller planets should have a little less upkeep ?

** colony**
would like an option to autobuy and "queue" colony enhancements. its a clickfest to get terraforming and decide to colonize a system with 8 planets and 1 gas giant.
=(^.-.^)=

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Fairin wrote:- in a save provided (auto 2415) one of my colonies got attacked by a fleet (no warning of a fleet incomming ><) ... i bought a mother ship to defend hte planet, and for whatever reason the ai did not attack the ships - even as they attacked it!
This has been fixed, the combat AI leveled up a few notches thanks to you. And let me say that now that one mothership cleans their clock without a scratch(shields are too strong!)
Fairin wrote:saves sent with the issues i had with bombardment - not exactly sure what the problem was but ordering to bombard made my fleets return home (tested with different types of ship weapons on board)
Build 3.39/3.40 fixed a lot of the AI issues with Bombard (destroy colony) order including this one. I'll be posting the changelog soon.

Thanks for reporting these and the suggestions. We're working on them :mrgreen:
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

johanwanderer
Voyager
Voyager

Post by johanwanderer »

I just submitted a report with the same inability to invade issue. Basically, it seems that even when I have my fleet orbiting the planet, as long as they have any kind of small (1-turn to build) ships queued, those ships pop out at the end of the tactical turn and render the planet "Defended".

I eventually got fed up and ordered my fleets to bombard the planet. It was really sad to see the population of 20+ billion reduced slowly, shot by shot, down to nothing.

On a separated topic, what is the differences between "Assimilate" and "Subjugate" in this context? As new generations are born, isn't "subjugate" just a slower form of "assimilate"? More importantly, what does the distinction add in this game? I suggest that the choice be cut down to just assimilate or exterminate (with ample details on pro/con of each.)

I also agree that any genocide actions (Exterminate / Glass, etc.) carry heavy diplomatic penalties.

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

assimliate- their morale becomes fanatical, i would assume if the comp took it back they would act like your population

subjugate - their morale becomes enslaved, i have to assume if the comp takes it back they become their citizens again.

again . assumptions.. getting a comp to actually win an invasion against meh... =\ better left for zai =)
=(^.-.^)=

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

johanwanderer wrote:I just submitted a report with the same inability to invade issue. Basically, it seems that even when I have my fleet orbiting the planet, as long as they have any kind of small (1-turn to build) ships queued, those ships pop out at the end of the tactical turn and render the planet "Defended".
I'll check, there is a certain threshold before it's considered defended, one small ship won't pass the threshold. But I'll review it.
On a separated topic, what is the differences between "Assimilate" and "Subjugate" in this context? As new generations are born, isn't "subjugate" just a slower form of "assimilate"? More importantly, what does the distinction add in this game? I suggest that the choice be cut down to just assimilate or exterminate (with ample details on pro/con of each.)

I also agree that any genocide actions (Exterminate / Glass, etc.) carry heavy diplomatic penalties.
Assimilate - Takes a long time before the local population accepts their conquerors, notice their morale starts at zero and they refuse to work (no workforce). Over time though they become normal productive citizens again (the bigger the population, the more costly it is to feed them while they they go through the assimilation)

Subjugate - Enslavement on the other hand doesn't suffer as harsh penalties and immediately produce but the population will never assimilate and thus never become as productive as assimilated populations.

I agree with Exterminate / Diplomatic penalties. It should be working as suggested.

There is also Liberate option if you take back an allied planet.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Fairin wrote:Alpha 3.38

saves sent with the issues i had with bombardment - not exactly sure what the problem was but ordering to bombard made my fleets return home (tested with different types of ship weapons on board)
This is resolved as of 3.40.
Invasions need to be tweaked to happen sooner (perferably at end of combat - do you want to invade? y/n)
had an issue with a planet able to rebuild its missle defenses before i could do anything about it even as the bombs dropped i couldnt invade cause it was "always" defended
I looked at this, it was pumping out enough ships to pass the "defended" threshold (1sml+1med). If you had completely destroyed their grand-scale factories via bombardment it would have crippled their ability for good. But it should have been crippled already even if not fully destroyed, I'll be fixing that so it checks the condition of buildings and not provide the full bonus (in this case ship building capacity) when it's damaged.

Btw, invasions do happen at end of combat but can only be ordered currently from the galaxy map. We can change this but we will leave it for now and consider it later if it still makes sense.
i was under attack by the kamzeks while not at war with them, i even took one of their primary planets from them (sparta with fifteen billion people!) and still did not declare war on me
Do let me know if you come across this again. There are circumstances where the AI may decide it is not to their benefit to declare war (if very weak) and remain hostile. This one shouldn't be one of them though.
the option to turn off the graphics for "Trade routes" cause it gets a little out of hand once you disco the entire map, i end up declareing war on everyone just to make them go away.
You figure out the legend? Will make this more obvious..
when i double click on a star it zooms me into tactical mode, sometimes i feel remenicent of moo2 but cant "See" the system just the "too damn close" tactical view, ps scrolling drives me nuts.
Can you elaborate on what you would expect? What would be your perfect version of previewing it.
How would you like this to function exactly? If it's the refitting colonizers the issue we can change that part without completely automating colonization.
check my planets in my auto saves over for economy refinements. i made a few industry few agricultural and a few research planets . with some basic "does everything" planets thrown in - check out the planet with nearly 500bc profit a turn. (kathros) ("late game" - nearly every tech is researched)
Yes, with every tech researched things are over the top. After the balancing it will not be possible to have all tech researched in this fashion. If that isn't enough we will then reduce the building bonuses a bit but it may not be necessary.
note on pluto the entertainment doesnt pay for its own upkeep, maybe smaller planets should have a little less upkeep ?
Or maybe pluto just isn't as interesting a place to visit! Do we really want every planet to be profitable?
** colony**
would like an option to autobuy and "queue" colony enhancements. its a clickfest to get terraforming and decide to colonize a system with 8 planets and 1 gas giant.
Queue or governor system? How about a governor type you set if you don't want to micro manage. I'm more in favor of this.

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

Zaimat wrote:
Fairin wrote:Alpha 3.38
This is resolved as of 3.40.
excellent
Invasions need to be tweaked to happen sooner (perferably at end of combat - do you want to invade? y/n) had an issue with a planet able to rebuild its missle defenses before i could do anything about it even as the bombs dropped i couldnt invade cause it was "always" defended
I looked at this, it was pumping out enough ships to pass the "defended" threshold (1sml+1med). If you had completely destroyed their grand-scale factories via bombardment it would have crippled their ability for good. But it should have been crippled already even if not fully destroyed, I'll be fixing that so it checks the condition of buildings and not provide the full bonus (in this case ship building capacity) when it's damaged.

Btw, invasions do happen at end of combat but can only be ordered currently from the galaxy map. We can change this but we will leave it for now and consider it later if it still makes sense.
ah but, you cannot order an invasion on a planet if its defended... its a vicious cycle.
i was under attack by the kamzeks while not at war with them, i even took one of their primary planets from them (sparta with fifteen billion people!) and still did not declare war on me
Do let me know if you come across this again. There are circumstances where the AI may decide it is not to their benefit to declare war (if very weak) and remain hostile. This one shouldn't be one of them though.
i thought it was odd myself since my ships would not auto attack them without a little nudging at the time.
the option to turn off the graphics for "Trade routes" cause it gets a little out of hand once you disco the entire map, i end up declareing war on everyone just to make them go away. You figure out the legend? Will make this more obvious..
for me, clicking the legends button does nothing. never did. should it?
Can you elaborate on what you would expect? What would be your perfect version of previewing it.
*curiously* have you played moo2? click a star it brings up the overlay of the system, from there you could see all planets in a pritty little interface, clicking a planet brought up the colony menu. as it stands in horizon when i click a star to zoom in it reaaaly zooms in and i immidately get lost in the really zoomed in tactical view. remember populous? that i can only see this tiny window of the world feel? thats what i get from the tactical view in horizon in 0.38
How would you like this to function exactly? If it's the refitting colonizers the issue we can change that part without completely automating colonization.
how about a script that : orders one of your colonyships to the planet (And sets it up with a possible option of govener - see below- ) instead of you manually leading the colonyship by the nose to the planet. =) still managed. but deffinately no auto colonizing via moo3.
Yes, with every tech researched things are over the top. After the balancing it will not be possible to have all tech researched in this fashion. If that isn't enough we will then reduce the building bonuses a bit but it may not be necessary.
- 1 planet should not produce enough "profit" to "buy 30 motherships in one turn" (give or take) lemme know when this level of refinement is nessary for play =)
Or maybe pluto just isn't as interesting a place to visit! Do we really want every planet to be profitable?
not in the hard difficulty... =)
** colony**
Queue or governor system? How about a governor type you set if you don't want to micro manage. I'm more in favor of this.
Governor idea 1, sets aside 50% of planet profit to stimulate growth on planet when it reaches max ranks it all comes home like normal. perfect for starting out after doing your initial colonization efforts of micromanageing. to aid with your "war" effort. instead of clicking on colonies.

governor idea 2, turn it on . forget about it. uses all profits to max planet out over time - (no credit gain for a while) perfect for frontier worlds you just want to collect a paycheck for basically.

queue idea, build a colony, pay up front for grand scale factories and the rest as you like, builds over 5 turns. the "i got too many credits than i know what to do with feature. help me make more without more clicking! (i want it and i want it now!)
=(^.-.^)=

CellNav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CellNav »

Governor Idea ...

Automatic Local Colonization ... The player must first manually colonize a system. Once that colony reaches a certain level, the player can set the governor to "auto-colonize" the remaining planets in that system. This is done through abstraction with local colony ships.

I think this would be a fair rule ... The Player is the King and colonizes Systems, the Governor is the local ruler and if the King (that's you) approves expansion in that system it will happen. If we have Governors, there should be one per system. A good example to follow is our own world history like in the Caribbean with Governors and Viceroys and pirates and maidens and adventures on the high seas! ... ok, well not exactly that in a space game but you guys get the picture.
Don't let me wake up and catch you sleeping !!!

Janster
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Janster »

Fairin wrote:"He (Fairin) rules the Greatest Empire in living history, his soldiers bravery at his command."

"His army is undefeatable, his ships patrol the skys, of every planet and Galaxy. This Galaxy. heh heh"

"What other challanges Await?" - Fairin (via Moo2)

i should have sent 3 motherships to each homeworld and demand their surrender (after TAKING it of course glass has a wonderfull surface color on planets...)

for grins load up moo2, get these tech's. phaser (research max weaponry to autofire/shield pierce) load achillies targeting unit, structural analizer, phaseing cloak and time warp thingy and the energy weapon thingy that allows you to shoot twice in one turn. but next turn you get no shots =) the ship is undefeatable except by a specific ship, the same ship without a time warp =) *save space, shields are not nessary*

*undefeatable was tested in a huge galaxy playing only on my home system and i let them ally and declare war on me >:) the entire galaxy's armada couldnt touch my home planet due to "one" ship >:)
Works fine against AI, but in a MP environment, there is a weapon that will 1 shot your ships when you don't have a shield...
Thus I'd just buy small ships and stick these guns on them, i'll move first, and you'd be dead.