Rename ships and fleets with retrofitting

Feature requests or ideas
Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Rename ships and fleets with retrofitting

Post by Xyquas »

I actually have two requests here but they belong together closely I think.

When I retrofit a ship with another design of the same size, the ship's name is not changed. While this is fine for user defined names it is dull for auto generated names especially because manually renaming the ship allows less letters then the actual design name.

My request is that ships are renamed automatically when I retrofit them with another design of their class. Currently (1.0.0.92) renaming already occurs if the current design is renamed and the ship is retrofitted afterward.

Examples:
1. Transport design 1 is named Lynx. I alter the design renaming it to Lynx II. Then I retrofit my Lynx ship on a starbase to update it to Lynx II. The ship is renamed to Lynx II.
2. Transport design 2 is named Troops, transport design 3 is named Colony Ship. I retrofit one of my Colony Ship to a Troops. The ship keeps it's name. Now I have a troop transport named Colony Ship. I have to rename it myself and if I forget, I'm wondering why my colony ship won't colonize that nice looking oceanic planet I sent it to :(

The same goes with fleets. When I retrofit a ship which is the only member of a fleet, the fleet should be renamed to the ship's name when retrofitting is complete.
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)