planet and sun destroyer

Feature requests or ideas
keller
Contributor
Contributor

planet and sun destroyer

Post by keller »

In just about every wonderful game of this genre there is a point when a race reaches a certain point to where they have planet destroying weapons and sun destroyers which wipe out entire solar systems.

Would it be possible to include this into the game at some point?
keller~

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: planet and sun destroyer

Post by keller »

Anyone second this ?
keller~

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

There was only one game were I liked the feature of a planet destroyer: MOO2. And this was because I could use the planet destroyer in connection with another tech (I actually forgot it's name but it made planets out of asteroids) to transform an otherwise quite useless toxic planet to a gaia planet in the end.

A star destroyer could be a nice feature if you want to rush through the end phase of the game and want to avoid competing empires to colonize planets you just wiped out. But usually I just set the planet count low enough the end phase doesn't bother me :D

So, do I second this suggestion? Only if I can use this tech to transform gas giants to something habitable :mrgreen:
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Yes a create planet or something like that along with this would be nice. It could turn useless gas giants into a random planet type.
keller~

Fox83
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Fox83 »

I liked Stellar manipulation in Space Empires V that allowed to create/destroy anything in star system, turning sun to black hole and destroying everything in star system. Turning black hole into sun and building Dyson sphere. :twisted:

BTW will it be possible for terraforming to also increase colony space for improvements.

One thing I have mostly problem with in 4X space strategies is that I too soon don´t have a thing to research.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Fox83 wrote:BTW will it be possible for terraforming to also increase colony space for improvements
Buildings space is currently purely based on planet size. The exception being a race's original homeworld which being the cradle of their civilization benefit from a very large bonus. Terraforming does increase habitable area and improves living conditions but doesn't affect the number of buildings space.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

Zaimat wrote:Terraforming does increase habitable area.
Does it means that max population amount gets higher? Like from 9b to 10b (or something) after terraforming?
You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Wenla wrote:Does it means that max population amount gets higher? Like from 9b to 10b (or something) after terraforming?
Yes, as it terraforms the habitable area keeps increasing if the target type it's transforming to is more hospitable to your race.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Regarding the OP about destroying planet/suns (sorry Keller for not responding sooner, we did consider this for the last major update in November but ultimately had to drop it as it would require reviewing several major components and a lot of testing. I explain below) :

The original game design did not account for the complete destruction of planets and suns and there are several game systems that are reliant on planets being where they are and so forth. For example the Quest/Events generator that places quest items on planets and in star systems would not know how to handle if a planet or whole system was destroyed during the game.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I understand. Am quite happy with the way this game has turned out.

Any hints on what the final major update will contain?
keller~

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

keller wrote:I understand. Am quite happy with the way this game has turned out. Any hints on what the final major update will contain?
The November major update was the last one we had planned. Any new major updates would have required a paid DLC/Expansion to keep it feasible financially. We are not done with the Horizon Universe though it may take some time to figure out how and we will continue to support it with minor updates as much as possible in the mean time.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I misread a post somewhere because I thought there was another major update planned :oops:
I look forward to your next project :)
keller~