CPs and why their current implementation isn't ok

Feature requests or ideas
Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Re: CPs and why their current implementation isn't ok

Post by Wenla »

As I can see it (and of course IMHO), problem is not getting harder/more difficult start/middle game, but getting harder END game. I like this game a lot, but I can't see how I lose (of course I like to win). Losing I mean that I can't find strategy to win (except palying lower difficulties).
You have to have a vision before you can define your strategy

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Are you finding it hard to play at average difficulty? Do you play classic mode or Normal scenario with missions?

Might be a good idea to start a new thread about this after yesterday's update. I would be interested to know how people find the difficulty playing start to late game in context of what difficulty setting and game options.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

Zaimat wrote:Are you finding it hard to play at average difficulty? Do you play classic mode or Normal scenario with missions?
No, it's not hard (IMHO of course), but it takes longer time to reach what I call "turning point" meaning that I move to the first position and clearly see that I will win.

Classic mode, huge, high density, six races (at least one older race included), only 'last man standing' victory condition. Before latest major patch game lasted usually 300-350 rounds, after that 400-450. Haven't tried (yet) hard/very hard levels, but I assume that what harder level, that longer it takes to reach turning point.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Nope, it does not.

As in most strategy games, the harder level makes it harder to survive the early-game onslaught.
If you survived, you'll most probably win.

I enjoy smaller maps, because they make the game more intensive.
My to-go layout is all races, small galaxy, 5 planets max in system, common special planets, rare habitable planets.

Dialtone
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Dialtone »

My game setup is.

Qty of Stars - Very High
Qty of Anomalies - 12
Scenario - Classic
Qty of Planets - 9 / System
Habitable Planets - Common (My race uses Metallic, so I don't think this helps me, just the other organic AIs)
Special Planets - Common
Game Difficulty - Very Hard
Random Events - Often

I think in the latest patch the AIs do expand better, but like in most strategy games once you surpass the AIs they continue to remain static in their developement. I think the AIs need to do some of the following things, if possible. Keep in mind I know most things are easier said than done. :)

Strategic

• AIs need to focus on military build up before declaring war, even if they can't match their enemy, they should at least try for a reasonable period of time. Instead of just declaring war, unprepared, against enemies that overpower them militarily.

• AIs in a war should focus on building warships as much as possible, even if it's going to excede their command point limit, unless they have their enemies overpowered by a fair amount. These first two points lead me to a suggestion. You can rush build a unit or building, but it would be nice if you could put a ship on hold, say by right clicking the rush button to turn it red. Then AIs and players could build ships without worry of exceding their limit. They could put ships on hold at the last turn or two when they're out of command points or they can't afford more, this could be used by AIs prepairing for a war also. This could surprise a player when they kill AI ships and they replace them within turns.

• AIs not at war or preparing for a war should focus on expansion and development, putting a better focus on developing their new planets. e.g. starting all level 1 buildings asap, plus purchasing ones such as level 1 Farming and Industry to kick start growth. Building up their starbase count a much as possible, especially when CPs are enabled. They should still build a fleet, just not as a priority. AIs may do some of this already.

I think having different development states for AIs would make them more unpredictable, and a much greater challenge when they use their full economic strength to fund their wars against other AIs and the player.

Tactical

• AIs need to retreat from battles that they're going to lose, especially when on offence. During defences that they're going to lose but don't want to give up, e.g. developed planets, they should always focus fire on ships they can kill, so they at least take something with them. I can't stress the importance of this tactical point, they should never sacrifice their ships for nothing.

• AIs need to be crueler with their attacks, many times I've seen an AI ship sit in orbit but not bomb my planets. They should always bomb, and troops should be used when available, but the bombs can often make it so their troops have alot less to do.

Wenla
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Wenla »

If AI ever learns to build and use full size (=10 ships) fleets, I'll be in trouble...