Nice Game. but too frutrating to play in its current state.

Feature requests or ideas
jawstheshark
Explorer
Explorer

Nice Game. but too frutrating to play in its current state.

Post by jawstheshark »

Love the Missions and galactic lore bit. Need an option to turn off the 'slow' text. More of these, and added 'modes' like the Normal I would pay for in a DLC or expansion if enough stuff in it.

Imagery is nice, but feels very dated quality wise.

Ability to choose your nation's logo instead of hard-coded to race. Same with Ship designset, needs to not be rigidly linked to race.

Need ability to see/edit the keyboard mappings in game

Need place to see undiscovered techs, can be in-game help. Mystery is only a valid method through your first full game. After that, not being able to see this is just annoying.

Need auto-survey and auto-dig options on scouts

AI is very poor at expansion.

Why cant I be the crystal race?

Diplomacy is in need of some tweaking. Once war is declared almost impossible to get Peace, and even if you are super stomping the AI they will never Surrender. Also once you destroy all colonies of the AI, they need to go away. Hit a bug where one race wanted me to embargo another. Once I did I could not cancel the embargo via options on either race. Navigation of the options is not very intuative.

Space combat is bad. First, if in Instanced mode if I have more than 1 system with a fight needing resolution on only the first one pops up for me to click on. If not in instanced mode no retreat option. Encounters appear to be all resolved together, so ships in the same system, but not involved in the current fight get sucked into it as well? It looks like you were going for some hybrid of MOO and SINS combat? Visuals on the ships are lackluster. Anything other than auto is an exercise in tedium. Redesign time imho.

More variety on the colonization vids please. after the 20th time, it gets really old.

Shelving this for now. Hope to see updates. It is a good start, but needs more lovin.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Nice Game. but too frutrating to play in its current st

Post by Zaimat »

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's appreciated! Just a few things I'll note below that may help clarify some things you mentioned..

re: Scrolling text
You can click anywhere on the window and it will stop the scrolling and display the full text

re: Why cant I be the crystal race?
The 3 ancient races are playable through a mod (included with the game) as they were not available at launch. Just need to enable it via the mods menu.

re: AI is very poor at expansion.
With today's update this should be a lot better, based on difficulty setting. The AI was being too picky (waiting for ideal quality planets before picking one).

re: Instanced combat
All battles in the same sector should be listed when you get a prompt, you may have to scroll to see them all and then can pick the one to engage. Each race (and player) can engage one battle per turn.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

jawstheshark
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jawstheshark »

Zaimat wrote:Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's appreciated! Just a few things I'll note below that may help clarify some things you mentioned..

re: Scrolling text
You can click anywhere on the window and it will stop the scrolling and display the full text
But I dont want to click every time
Zaimat wrote: re: Why cant I be the crystal race?
The 3 ancient races are playable through a mod (included with the game) as they were not available at launch. Just need to enable it via the mods menu.
Ok.
Zaimat wrote: re: AI is very poor at expansion.
With today's update this should be a lot better, based on difficulty setting. The AI was being too picky (waiting for ideal quality planets before picking one).
Will try it out
Zaimat wrote: re: Instanced combat
All battles in the same sector should be listed when you get a prompt, you may have to scroll to see them all and then can pick the one to engage. Each race (and player) can engage one battle per turn.
One battle per sector, or one battle period? If I have multiple available in different sectors how do I get it to goto the sector I want? It got to the point to get the fight I wanted, I had to move all other ships away from the enemy.

If it is one battle period, I would like to voice disagreement with that concept. One combat encounter per System per turn would make lots more sense in my brain.

And kudos on the very prompt reply!

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

It's one battle selection per race/player for each sector. You can have have engagements in multiple sectors.

For every sector where there is a hostile detected, you will get at least one prompt, one after the other for each sector until all sectors are processed.

You can also engage any sector for combat where there is a neutral/friendly/quest ships or monsters. Since these are not hostile you are not automatically prompted instead before pressing next turn you need to select the sector(s) and press 'Engage Sector'. You can do this for multiple sectors too.
jawstheshark wrote:
Zaimat wrote: re: Instanced combat
One battle per sector, or one battle period? If I have multiple available in different sectors how do I get it to goto the sector I want? It got to the point to get the fight I wanted, I had to move all other ships away from the enemy.

If it is one battle period, I would like to voice disagreement with that concept. One combat encounter per System per turn would make lots more sense in my brain.

jawstheshark
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jawstheshark »

Zaimat wrote:It's one battle selection per race/player for each sector. You can have have engagements in multiple sectors.
For every sector where there is a hostile detected, you will get at least one prompt, one after the other for each sector until all sectors are processed.
The two games I played, the prompt per sector is not working all the time. I only got the 1st sector it got to with a conflict. One particular instance I hit where both systems in question the hostile was the same race, that I was at war with. I had a colony ship in a system where I had a planet with a starbase and the enemy had a undefended planet. This was in sector 1, then in sector 2 I was trying to destroy a colony with a fleet. I looked at the sectors after reading the information about instanced combat being driven by sector.

Tried instanced and non instanced, and in order to get my fleet to actually attack the colony I had to keep all ships away from the sector 1 system in question.

Is there a place I can upload a save game where I encountered this?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

There is a "report an issue" link on the launcher. It will attach your saved games and send it to us if you think something is wrong. I can certainly take a look and get back to you. Please provide any pertinent details (save game slot or name, what to look for etc).

jawstheshark
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jawstheshark »

Zaimat wrote:There is a "report an issue" link on the launcher. It will attach your saved games and send it to us if you think something is wrong. I can certainly take a look and get back to you. Please provide any pertinent details (save game slot or name, what to look for etc).
Reported. Save game is named Sector_Issue

jawstheshark
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jawstheshark »

Ok, I think I found my issue. First I was confusing what Sector was. I was thinking it was everything that started with say a 1, or a 2. Seems to actually be each square of the map. So one combat per sector per turn, is actually what I was wanting to see.

Second, I did not realize I had to click the - Engage Sector - button that becomes available if there is something there to fight. I was expecting the game to cycle through available combats without me telling it to engage that particular square. Since it kinda does that for you already, but not 100%, I had assumed that was how it was intended to work but was buggy. *Note many other 4x space games behave like I was expecting.

With clicking the engage thingy, then I get the expected combats even when there are multiple available.

Strong suggestion - Add engage sector to ship/fleet order options.

Also, I would add a menu option to auto-engage any/all sector where there is a possible hostile encounter.

Note with this build, the 4 AI races I encountered so far in my corner did not want to talk to me at all for peaceful stuff, trade, etc, and declared war after around 50 turns without me attacking them. I am guessing it was because they were scared of me? At the time, I was well above all of them on all the statistic charts. Normal - Hard

I can understand such things from warmonger aggresive races. But the calm, peace guys should not do that unless I attack them, or do stuff to make them mad. It would be nice if we could see what they are mad about. Also, even when they are mad you should always be able to offer stuff to them. I mean who turns down gifts, right?

But they definitely expanded better than they were.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

jawstheshark wrote:Ok, I think I found my issue. First I was confusing what Sector was. I was thinking it was everything that started with say a 1, or a 2. Seems to actually be each square of the map. So one combat per sector per turn, is actually what I was wanting to see.
Yes, there are 6 large sectors and 100 sub-sectors inside a sector. Combat is per sub-sector, sorry didn't make that distinction more clearly in my previous response.
jawstheshark wrote:Second, I did not realize I had to click the - Engage Sector - button that becomes available if there is something there to fight. I was expecting the game to cycle through available combats without me telling it to engage that particular square. Since it kinda does that for you already, but not 100%, I had assumed that was how it was intended to work but was buggy. *Note many other 4x space games behave like I was expecting.
If there is a hostile it will trigger a prompt every time but if they are neutral,friendly or quest related, you have to manually engage.
jawstheshark wrote:Strong suggestion - Add engage sector to ship/fleet order options.
The engage sector is per sub-sector, every ship (your own + allies) will enter the fight inside the area, and for the enemy as well.
jawstheshark wrote:Note with this build, the 4 AI races I encountered so far in my corner did not want to talk to me at all for peaceful stuff, trade, etc, and declared war after around 50 turns without me attacking them. I am guessing it was because they were scared of me? At the time, I was well above all of them on all the statistic charts. Normal - Hard
That's quite likely, they will be more likely to attack you or declare war if they don't like your race, if they feel threatened, if you encroach on their territory or if you expand too fast.
jawstheshark wrote:I can understand such things from warmonger aggresive races. But the calm, peace guys should not do that unless I attack them, or do stuff to make them mad. It would be nice if we could see what they are mad about. Also, even when they are mad you should always be able to offer stuff to them. I mean who turns down gifts, right?
That's generally how they behave but if they feel threatened they will either try to appease you or go to war.
jawstheshark wrote:But they definitely expanded better than they were.
Glad to hear that!

jawstheshark
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jawstheshark »

Zaimat wrote:
jawstheshark wrote:Second, I did not realize I had to click the - Engage Sector - button that becomes available if there is something there to fight. I was expecting the game to cycle through available combats without me telling it to engage that particular square. Since it kinda does that for you already, but not 100%, I had assumed that was how it was intended to work but was buggy. *Note many other 4x space games behave like I was expecting.
If there is a hostile it will trigger a prompt every time but if they are neutral,friendly or quest related, you have to manually engage.
Yeah that 'automatic for hostile' you might want to check, as it does not always automatically cycle between all sub-sectors with hostiles, which is what I was initially observing. The Engage command gets around it though.
Zaimat wrote:
jawstheshark wrote:Strong suggestion - Add engage sector to ship/fleet order options.
The engage sector is per sub-sector, every ship (your own + allies) will enter the fight inside the area, and for the enemy as well.
Yes, but it would be nice if 'Engage' showed when you clicked the 'Orders' button
Zaimat wrote:
jawstheshark wrote:I can understand such things from warmonger aggresive races. But the calm, peace guys should not do that unless I attack them, or do stuff to make them mad. It would be nice if we could see what they are mad about. Also, even when they are mad you should always be able to offer stuff to them. I mean who turns down gifts, right?
That's generally how they behave but if they feel threatened they will either try to appease you or go to war.
I understand. On the wishlist
- See what they are mad about.
- The 'Make Offer' option should always be available

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

jawstheshark wrote:Yeah that 'automatic for hostile' you might want to check, as it does not always automatically cycle between all sub-sectors with hostiles, which is what I was initially observing. The Engage command gets around it though.
Really appreciate you reporting this issue, I was able to reproduce it from your report and it's been fixed in today's update.