Fleeing non-combatants

Feature requests or ideas
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Fleeing non-combatants

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

As I see, now non-combatants flee from battle automatically.

It makes the new and fresh problem. :)

1. Before this feature was implemented, I could select "Flee", and look on auto-flee result - or I can use "Engage", and try to minimize my losses. Now they are equal. Only in second case I can watch the fleeing with my eyes. :)

2. In some cases (I believe, when all battle ships are lost) non-combatants starts to flee automatically again. And again, it's not always good. In particular, I believe, I seen it once with bombers+invaders set, where invaders supposed to attack planet after bombers - but I can be wrong here. (and it is the possible notice for the next thread. :)

So question: can you remove this feature for the player ships, please? It costs me much more than I want to!

(Another, less desirable solution could be removing "Engage" button for non-combat fleets. At least it will make #1 less painful, even if same by results. Will not change #2, of course.)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Fleeing non-combatants

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote:As I see, now non-combatants flee from battle automatically.
Yes. The intention for this change was to reduce micro-management during battles with mixed fleets so the player can focus on combat ships while the AI takes over the player non-combatants (and they retreat from combat asap).

I think it's a net positive change and any downside of having manual control over them is minimal to the gameplay.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

*sigh* Ok, I expected it. Well, second proposal is valid still: can you disable "engage" button for pure NC-fleets then?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Sorry I disagree with you on this one. I think it should stay in case the player wants to watch it to stay consistent with the option. (I also considered allowing them to be controllable only when it's non-combatants and you hit engage but it's not very consistent. I may reconsider in the future.)

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Sorry I disagree with you on this one. I think it should stay in case the player wants to watch it to stay consistent with the option.
Well, it's pure visual, so I cannot disagree here. :)
(I also considered allowing them to be controllable only when it's non-combatants and you hit engage but it's not very consistent. I may reconsider in the future.)
Umm... Well, I am not totally sure that I see your reasons in this decision.

1. I am asking for _full_ control for ships for players. No separate rules for non-combats. No even current separate "auto-flee" rule. ;) Underlining: for players only. :)

2. If you can consider this way, I believe, you can get plain visual notice "you haven't any battle ships, do you want to do full retreat now?" And in case of "no", it will be exactly as it was before auto-retreat was implemented. :) (Including manual command of "mass retreat" that was here long ago).

3. I asked you about it once, but you, it seems, didn't notice. My main complain with auto- (or mass) retreat is dumb execution of it. I'll repeat, just in case you didn't see it first time.

I. Auto-retreat. Ship immediately prepares to retreat, and lose full turn for it, vulnerable for anyone. It's often suicide, if ship in question is close to the enemy.

II. Manual retreat (as I am executing it): flee from the enemy as far as I can in that turn, and only after that, in the end of my turn, execute "flee" order. In that case I doesn't lose advantage, and only enemies fast enough can reach me (and not necessary they will bother at all). In that case my losses are halved at least.

If automatic retreat would be executed the same way as I am doing it - well, I have nothing against it then. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote:3. I asked you about it once, but you, it seems, didn't notice. My main complain with auto- (or mass) retreat is dumb execution of it. I'll repeat, just in case you didn't see it first time.
Yes, I had missed this, thanks for bringing it up.

The idea is that ships should not be able to flee too easily so there would be a 1 round of delay where they are vulnerable. So at a basic implementation pressing retreat or mass-retreat are working as intended. But of course the player could move them as far back as possible before pressing retreat. Which is OK for the player but if the A.I. escapes too easily regularly it can become annoying.

What I have done is auto-controlled ships will now try to move in the opposite direction (based on their maneuverability/engines/movement points etc.) but there is a limit on how far back (if they reach the limit, it's easier with small/medium ships with high maneuverable engines). It's adjustable but I think as it is it will strike a good balance and address the issue you brought up but let me know.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:The idea is that ships should not be able to flee too easily so there would be a 1 round of delay where they are vulnerable.
But they are, anyway. Just because retreat+execute still will leave them vulnerable for the rest of this turn. Problem is, they was _too_ vulnerable. :)
But of course the player could move them as far back as possible before pressing retreat. Which is OK for the player but if the A.I. escapes too easily regularly it can become annoying.
As for me, it only will put it on the same board as player. :) And making player _too_ vulnerable is much more annoying. Especially now, when both sides received auto-retreat for ships that most prone to retreat. :)
What I have done is auto-controlled ships will now try to move in the opposite direction (based on their maneuverability/engines/movement points etc.) but there is a limit on how far back (if they reach the limit, it's easier with small/medium ships with high maneuverable engines). It's adjustable but I think as it is it will strike a good balance and address the issue you brought up but let me know.
Err... But it is exactly what I described, no? %D I wanted exactly that: spend all available movement in the turn in question before execute "retreat" order. If I sounded somehow different (like "run away as far as you can for ten turns"), sorry, it was unintended. :) Or did I miss something with your description?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote: Err... But it is exactly what I described, no? %D I wanted exactly that: spend all available movement in the turn in question before execute "retreat" order. If I sounded somehow different (like "run away as far as you can for ten turns"), sorry, it was unintended. :) Or did I miss something with your description?
Yes it's like you described except there is a cap on how far back they will move (for late game when some engines can move very far with small/medium ships). So the opponents (if they chase) always have a chance to fire at them for one round before they exit combat.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Limit. Aha. Got it. %) Well, somewhat arguable decision as for me, but immensely better than previous behavior. Thank you! :D