Add new ship module: Communications relay

Feature requests or ideas
Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Add new ship module: Communications relay

Post by Xyquas »

When playing on large maps I always end up in a situation where I am in one of the corners of the map and in the very far opposing corner there is one to more empire(s) I cannot communicate with because we share no two colonies within communications range.

Currently I adress this issue by building scouts and sending one to every empire I other have no communication channel with.

My thought was that this problem could be solved more elegantly by a new ship module: Communication relay. This works as multiplier for interstellar communication and has half the range of a colony (due to minimization for fitting in a ship). Should be small enough to just fit the smallest ship class if there's no other device aboard.

An alternative approach that I like even better: Introduce construction capsules which enable a ship to build a communication relay. This relay must be built in orbit around a planet like a starbase but here it can be a gas giant too. This variant would work like the colony ship's colony capsules so it has to be refilled at a starbase. Of course such a relay is a civil facility and therefore completely unarmed.
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

Flinx
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Add new ship module: Communications relay

Post by Flinx »

While it is common in the early-mid game to not be in communication range of every empire, I cannot think of any of the games I have played where I did not eventually have communications with every empire still alive. At level 10, the 'Interstellar Com' tech has a range of 11 sectors - this is more than one of the 6 big sector squares. You can focus on this tech for a while if you need to establish active diplomatic relations and trade routes for income. I also sometimes set up a forward outpost, or send a large invasion force deep into enemy territory to take over and hold a colony to bring an empire into trade route range.
"Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
Ex Circuit Boi wannabe

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Add new ship module: Communications relay

Post by Zaimat »

Listening posts are currently meant to act as a communication relay posts among other things. But one thing I always wanted to do which we never got around to it was adding the ability to construct stations or other structures in deep space or anywhere else via constructors etc.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf