Claim on systems

Feature requests or ideas
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Claim on systems

Post by Anguille »

I've been thinking about it recentely. The fact that i cannot avoid over races to make colonies in the systems i am in (or vice-versa) makes it sometimes hard for me to clearly see where my territory is (same in MOO2 of course). I am wondering if for the next game, it could be possible to consider the option to have claims on systems (like in Birth of the Federation) but with the option to have open-borders (like in MOO3) where another race can colonize if such a treaty exists (overwise it would mean war). Not sure if i am clear.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Claim on systems

Post by Zaimat »

Currently there is the system control and then the border which extends 1 square (sector) in radius around the system (territory control displayed as a dotted circle).

The AI won't colonize knowingly (at the time it sends a colonizer) in a system where another race has a colony. But it may settle within the radius around the system thus encroaching on territory.

In either case if you or the AI players don't have an alliance, it can lead to worsening relations if the two races aren't social or dislike each other.

I think what you are proposing is a more strict territory borders that if you enter without the proper treaty (after a warning prompt) it will immediately lead to hostilities or war! It would make for a more transparent system.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Zaimat wrote: I think what you are proposing is a more strict territory borders that if you enter without the proper treaty (after a warning prompt) it will immediately lead to hostilities or war! It would make for a more transparent system.
Yes...this is what i mean indeed. Maybe i am one of the few who would like that, don't know. It would be a little more like in Bith of the Federation or the original Master of Orion. Maybe as an option?

Cheers

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Actually found an easy way to do it....having only one planet per system on the biggest map :D
Started a new game with these settings....already feels like a different game.

The only problem is that the chances to find a good planet is fairly low.....having the option to have better than "normal" in the setup screen for the galaxy generation would solve this. What do you think?

Thanks

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

The "Habitable planets - Common" setting gives "equal" weight for spawning all planet types. Although the weights are modified by the star type. Setting it to rare halves the chance for Terran/Ocean/Desert/Arctic.

What you may be noticing is the size of planets? It is almost always small or medium on the first orbit so setting 1 planet/system will not yield larger planets. The code could be made more lenient here. Is that maybe what you were noticing?
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Not every race like rock planets, right? I guess that in that sense, equal weight for all type of planets is needed. My mistake.

Indeed, lots of small and medium planets but this was not what i had in mind. It's a good idea though. :wink: