Horizon is Jynks-d

After Action Reports (AARs), Gameplay Videos YouTube, twitch.tv
Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Horizon is Jynks-d

Post by Jynks »

So, are hanging out in this chan for a while I thought I would give making a Lets Play ago. I have been making thread AARs for a while (after action reports) on Matrix and Stardock forums but not really tried this.

I've given it a go, and it was a bit harder than I though, but hehe.. oh well. We will see if I make it to the end :)

Horizon is Jynks-d

Play List Ep1: Introduction and Setup
Video

This is just a setup and introduction video. Actual gameplay starts at 23:13(ish) if you wish to skip ahead. I tried to be all tricky and installed an application to show keystrokes so you could follow my hotkeys but it didn't show up in the recording : ) hehe

Anyway, comments and suggestions welcome!

Ep2: The Great Flood
Video

The Tidal 'Verse flows from Brine out into the sea of stars in search of all the things that bring life. Water, Minerals and Genius. So marks the beginning of the age of expansion. A fast and explosive push into the stars that could being economic ruin upon Mother Brine as she spasms under the force of expelling her young.

Ep3: First Contact
Video

"After our initial expansion attempts into the great sea, we have yet to find any other life. Once again the terrifying existential thought of "we are truly alone: seers the mind of the entire Tide. I myself feel the heaviest burden, for it was my own design, my own force of will that pushed all of Brine to the belief that we would find trading partners to support the drastic economic costs of expansion. If we do not find these Aliens soon, then our colonies will be rot for barnacles." - From the private diary of Urant-Sool, Supreme Chancellor of the Tidal 'Verse 2176

Ep4: The Tantik Threat
Video

"A mind must be taken to our protection. The urge to move out into the 'Verse has left us vulnerable in every conceivable way. We've neglected arms, for kelp, forgotten how to be warriors, for merchants. Urant-Sool has left is open to invasion and now the vile Tantic and Kuntari are swimming down our unprotected currents. It is now my task to hold the Tide though the times upons us" - Farlan-Urik's inaugural speech as the new Supreme Chancellor

Ep5: Hostilities Build on the Boarder
Video

"In solidarity we are strong, and though diversity we are immune. The Tide has welcomed all, on Brine and beyond in the great sea. Yet now we face what the isolationists have feared for a hundred years. An aggressive, truly Alien race, that heeds no reason, coverts no kind of coin we can provide and is a very real threat to everything we have built." - Farlan-Urik Supreme Chancellor

Ep6: Assessing The Threat
Video

"The Tide flows for you, yet the Tide pulls on us all. We face the greatest threat that has risen form the Great Sea and we face it together, not as individual colonies but as a single Sqeedoken force of will. Our ancestors stand behind us with the as yet unborn tadpoles ahead guiding our flow through history, through blood, through sacrifice; and nothing, can resist The Tide or the future you make for us all!" Farlan-Urik speech to the first pool of conscripted troops and pilots at Octopie's official day of celebration for the completion of Orbital Space Station.

Ep7: Military Build Up
Video

"There was more delays today with the materials getting shipped over from homeworld. We have to shorten the supply lines. The construction of the fleet continues at speed. Fear is a constant on Octopie. Every media source is saying the same thing. The Tantik are coming. The attack could come any day. I've repeatedly reworded the same report and resent it again and again. We do not have the logistical support to age such a war. I look out across the factories that have sprung up like kelp in the push to get the fleet into great sea and all I see is folly, great gleaming tombs for untold numbers of nameless dead." - Sarnik-Ool - Senior Administrator of the Octopie shipyards - Private correspondence

Ep8: To War
Video

"The fleets left orbit today to a fan fair of global exuberance. Spirits are high and people seam to be only mildly worried. The propaganda mill has prepared us all well. Yet I am sceptical. What do we really know about the Tantik? One of the few things we truly know is ISN rates them as the top technologists in the galaxy. Who knows what really awaits us, and what kind of response we will illicit." - Sarnik-Ool - Senior Administrator of the Octopie shipyards - Personal Conversation of suspected malcontent recorded by the Institute of Corrective Thoughts. 2277.

Ep9: Attack Ships on Fire
Video

"The responsibility I feel for Brine is paramount in my mind at all times. The pressure fuels me to do great deeds and deeds I have done. Far from the prying eyes of the civilian press, only we on the front line truly know the cost and currency of this war. I ordered the bombing of Yargrat IV, I authorized the use to Neutron Bombs and have systematically wiped out entire colonies in my punch through Tantik space. One of my officers resigned his commission rather than follow my order, as is his right. Though I would rather be remembered as a monster and Brine be safe for all time, than remembered as a compassionate and have this threat remain. The Tantik are as close to evil as I have ever imagined was possible and as long as I command the School I will push hard and fast into their territory and leave nothing behind me. I will cut a surgical line across the galaxy removing the Tantik blight from my sea." - Shan-Sill - Fleet Commander

Ep10: The War Continues
Video

"While we agonize over the loss of a ship here and a soldier there the loss of life among the Tantik is incalculable. Billions of lives extinguished through orbital bombardments upon defenseless Tantik colonies. There is no persuasive argument for a supposedly civilized race to behave in this manner. The loss of life, Sqeedoken life, Tantik life; any life, on this scale is a mark that will scar our ancestors for all time. I urge everyone to gather at depth of 2000 fathoms above the capital of Brine and all her colonies to show that we as a a people can no longer allow this to continue, that this horrific genocide is unacceptable to us and to all sentients." - Karal-Zill - Public Pirate Broadcast across the interstella network prior to her disappearance. Dissident Database file 28421.45

Ep11: Alliances form and Crumble
Video

"With the galaxy now explored and as of yet intergalactic travel being an unattainable technological possibility, the time has come for us to start to look carefully at the political climate of the Galaxy and our relationships to the other major races. Just as Brine went though globalization, so to is the Galaxy getting smaller. The choices of Brine are no longer are in a vacuum but now encompass and must take into account all who we are in contact with and all who they are in contact with. It is our recommendation that we change our policy of non-interference in galactic political matters and start to publicly support our close allies. No longer can we sit on the fence. Massive intergalactic war will be upon us, if not now, then soon. We must look to forming actual alliances rather than trying to please everyone while staying neutral for when the great war pollutes our sea we must not find ourselves surrounded by hostiles even at the risk of loosing our lucrative trade alliances." - An expert from the conclusion of the Galactic Political Necessities Report.

Ep12: A Shift in Focus
Video

"Finally we have had the breakthrough I have been waiting for, but it is not an advancement in our understanding of the physical world but a breakthrough in the attitudes of the powers that be. So decades I have labored to change peoples minds on the subject of organic technology. For so long a ideological goal it has become a heresy to suggest anything different. Still the math dose not lie. Organics by their very nature are limited in their scope and power due to the complex balance that is life itself ontop of the what the design is pushing for. Inorganic technology has none of these weaknesses. Finlay someone has noticed my fight against institutional stubbornness. The word has come down and the funding approved. Science has been given new life, and once again the young elite will swim from the universities to pounce on the new fields that will open, I am sure in short order." Simrant-Zull (Interdenominational Physics Pool) - Blog post at the Cherry Ripe Institute of Pure Research

Ep13: Re-fit
Video

"After years of study, we are finally ready to put our new crystalline technology into mass production. The prototype Orca Class ship was a huge success and now with the modified power source it should perform even better. It urks me to think of the huge waste of resources spent on the development of Organics. As a yong squid I could never understand why my professors were obsessed with this idea of living technology. I'm glad that in my time the taboo on constructed technology has been cast aside." Simrant-Zull (Interdenominational Physics Pool) - Blog post at the Cherry Ripe Institute of Pure Research

Ep14: Sqeedokai: The most hated race in the Galaxy
Video

"The expansionist military industrial elite have been focusing us ever onward to our own destruction! Even the Barsig, an Ally for over 200 years is at the forefront of the galactic backlash that you knew was coming, that we knew was coming. That I knew was coming! Our pointless war with the Tantik has gone for generations with billions upon billions of Tantik dead and our own suffering is only measured in the conscience of the few. Now our standing in the Galaxy, our monstrous greed has brung us to war with 60% of the know worlds! The time is now, stand up, stand up and demand peace, demand the dissolution of the Imperial Order and once again bring Brine and her people back to the comfort of pace and friendship." Piznak-Rul - Leader of the People's Voice; an excerpt from his speech above Brine at the largest swim in recorded history. Only 5 minutes before his death during the rioting caused by the Military sending in troops to break up the gathering.
Last edited by Jynks on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:46 am, edited 14 times in total.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Horizon is Jynked

Post by Zaimat »

Enjoyed watching the first episode, very nice commentary! Only thing I might have done differently is playing with less stars (average or fair) for a speedier game but curious to see how it goes.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Horizon is Jynks-d

Post by Jynks »

Updated with next 2 videos. I'll only bump the thread every 2 videos to save on spam.

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Jynks »

** UPDATED **

I'm starting to find a problem with my play though. I seam to have neglected my military to the point that I feel very vulnerable across my left flank. My racial abilities have left me prone to invasion and weak on invading, and as of yet I have few ships to defend. All in all I am pretty worried!
Last edited by Jynks on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Jynks »

** UPDATED **

I'm feeling very trapped at the moment due to a failure on my part to really push into defensive technologies early. I've expanded pretty much as fast as I can and soon expect my income stream to reflect that, but I feel that I am so far behind in the military aspects and so close to such an aggressive race that war is unavoidable, and undefendable!

In a rush to defend myself I have started constructing small quick to build cruisers as well as a few larger ships. Earning nearly 7bc a turn now I can make some large purchases as well as fast tracking production. To that end I am pushing heavily into weapon research, logistics and engines. With luck I'll be able to hold off the first few waves of combat and give myself time to research ground assault techs.
Last edited by Jynks on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Jynks »

** UPDATED **

The war with the Tantik has begun in ernest. So far the few skirmishes have been of little consequence. It seams they are invested in particle beam technology and we are running Ion Cannons and have a slight advantage in range. Allowing us to pick off their space stations with little effort. So far we have yet to find true resistance.
Last edited by Jynks on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Jynks »

** UPDATED **

I've been a bit busy with Eador recently as a new patch came out and I wanted to give it a look see, but in general I am happy with the way things are going. I feel that I am pretty much out gunning the Tantik and my only fear now is over extending. As I am near the limit of my logistics research I am worried about spreading to far and not being able to guard everything if the wars spread to any more races.

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Jynks »

** UPDATED **

I'm just adding the flavour text to the original post now... so if you scroll to the top you can read it up there is you wish. The thread was just getting really cluttered with lots of the same text blocks and I thought it was really ugly!

I've come to a kind of impasse in ep 13. I'm not sure how to trigger the end game win condition. My fleets are nearly unbeatable yet my expansion across alien space is slow. I seam to not have anything to do. I build more and better ships, I destroy the Tantik planets, I colinise. Yet I do not seam to be getting any closer to voctory.

Maybe I need to split my fleet into a heap of smaller ones and just do a blitzkrieg though alien space glassing the planets but not attempting to hold them?

Watch ep 14 at around 23:46 for some fun!

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

would you happen to have the link to the explorinate group on steam you were talking about in your first video? Thank you for your response in advance. I enjoyed the videos to.
keller~

Jynks
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Jynks »

Hi guys.... I haven't forgotten this game. My mic broke and I finally got around to ordering a new one... I may restart, or continue.. haven't decided yet.
keller wrote:would you happen to have the link to the explorinate group on steam you were talking about in your first video? Thank you for your response in advance. I enjoyed the videos to.
Explorminate @ Stem - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/explor ... iscussions
Explorminate Webpage - http://explorminate4x.com/

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Welcome back, let us know if you make any new videos, the first series was very well done!
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf