Star Trek Mod

Learn to create Mods and post links here for others
Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Star Trek Mod

Post by Xyquas »

First of all: Thank you for your work so far! I like the idea of playing Horizon with Star Trek ships and factions :D

When I tried your mod I was wondering about it and at first I didn't know why. But then the idea got clear in my head and I think I know now. While you obviously chose races from TOS, there are some ship designs from TNG. For my feeling this crashes. Having a TOS mod would be pretty unique as most ST mods I've seen for video games take on the 24th century of ST. So I suggest to split this mod into two: One TOS and one TNG. Being a TOS mod would give an argument why you made the Romulans on base of the Tantik while I think the most Tantik-like faction in ST are the Borg.

Please take this as nicely ment feedback. I would discuss species and species traits if you like to (don't know if it is possible to change the traits for custom species as Romulans definetely are not parasitic).

And if you want to have a translation into German for your mod, I can do this for you. Actually I translated the mod before trying it out - if I could upload files to this forum I'd do it right now .oO( this wasn't possible here, was it? ) Unfortunately, the german empire names mess up the grammar used in Horizon as german grammar works differently from the english one.

So: Please keep working on that mod! I'd like to see a full conversion!!! Maybe I could help with simple tasks?
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

Thank, Xyquas! I've tried to stick to TOS as that's my favorite. I think I've succeeded except for the Federation ships. It's hard to find the proper ship models. :)
I plan to finish this mod as best as I can with TOS ships. I may eventually try a Next Generation mod but only time will tell. Maybe Horizon 2 will be out by then. 8)

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

There are some 23rd century ship classes you haven't used yet (Constellation is the most popular one of those). Do you know the website Memory Alpha? Maybe this could help: Additionally, I recently tried the ST Mod for Stardrive 2, which has a large ship collection for starfleet. Maybe you could ask it's author where he got the models from? The Steam-Workshop URL of that mod is: If it isn't possible to avoid mixing of 23rd and 24th century, I feel that the 24th century ships should all be in the same row (slots 4 and 3 in the ship designer) and the race design then should be 24th century assuming that the 23rd century races have not yet been eliminated.
For a pure TOS mod there'd have to be other leader pics for Klingons and Romulans as well ;-)

To the devs:
  • Is it possible to mod the ship design contents? Currently, the small troop transport always is transport class design number 1.
  • Is it possible to rename the ship designs for only the player's race? I tried a copy of ship_design_names.xml within the mod in the gamedata directory which worked fine if I select Federation as race but Federation ship classes don't make sense when you play Romulans :D
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Xyquas wrote: To the devs:
  • Is it possible to mod the ship design contents? Currently, the small troop transport always is transport class design number 1.
  • Is it possible to rename the ship designs for only the player's race? I tried a copy of ship_design_names.xml within the mod in the gamedata directory which worked fine if I select Federation as race but Federation ship classes don't make sense when you play Romulans :D
I've made it so in ship_design_names.xml you can now specify different default design names per race (v1.0.2.142). I'm not sure about your other question but the class types are not modifiable.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

ketzerei84
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ketzerei84 »

The Kzinti are from Ringworld, not Star Trek :lol:

Still some excellent looking work so far mate, keep it up ^^

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

ketzerei84 wrote:The Kzinti are from Ringworld, not Star Trek :lol:

Still some excellent looking work so far mate, keep it up ^^
Ah, but the Kzinti were in Star Trek. 8)
Thanks for the kind words. I'm behind but still plan to finish this mod.

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

Don't give up hope! I've just started work on the Tholian Assembly. :D

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Nice....

Did you replace the pictures in diplomacy etc?
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

Not yet. I'm going to finish adding the last three races first. Then I'll work on adding the images for the stuff Zaimut allowed access to (diplomacy, encounter screen). I also plan to edit each of the races traits.

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

This would be awesome...

What are the other 2 races?
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

For the other two playable races I'm going with the Cardassians and the Lyrans. I'm dipping into the Star Fleet Universe a bit more with the Lyrans but I think if the Kzinti are in the Lyrans should be too.

As for the other three unplayable races, I'm not 100% sure yet. I have time to think about it because I won't change those until the 8 playable races are fully complete.

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

Updated to version 1.0! See the first post for information/download! :mrgreen:

craig68x
Voyager
Voyager

Post by craig68x »

Thorn wrote:Just a quick note, I've been busy the past few months but things are slowing down again. As of today I'm back to work on this mod! :D
Klingons are next. I plan to have only one graphic for each of the four ship type/sizes (for now at least) to speed things up. Plus it's hard to find enough useable top-down views of ships for some of the races. :shock:
Qapla'!!! Klingons rule! Although I'm sure I'm a minority here. :mrgreen:

Well done!
~~Why is Abbreviation such a long word?~~

craig68x
Voyager
Voyager

Post by craig68x »

Just wanted to say I'm having a blast with this mod. Already the Cardassians have declared war on my Klingons. Ha! Bring it on Dukat-wannabes!
~~Why is Abbreviation such a long word?~~

Scorbutus_Mundi
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Scorbutus_Mundi »

I know it's been a few years, but since the link is dead, does anyone else have a copy of this mod?