Sprite Sheet

Learn to create Mods and post links here for others
Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Sprite Sheet

Post by Thorn »

I've had some success in generating sprite sheets from 3d models but I'm wondering if they will actually work in game. They default ship sprite sheets look to be 128 pixels wide by 2048 pixels long. I can create sprite sheets but the don't really look like the default ones and the size is different. I'm about to try one in game (it would be easier if there were some way to create a sandbox to test this) but was wondering if there were any tips the developer could give concerning this?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Sprite Sheet

Post by Zaimat »

The sprite sheets are in the following format:

FR0000 (fighter size - 32 by 32 pixels x16 frames vertically)
SC0000 (scout size - 64 by 64 pixels x16 frames vertically)
TR0000 (transport size - 128 by 128 pixels x16 frames vertically)
CR0000 (cruiser size - 128 by 128 pixels x16 frames vertically)
MS0000 (mothership size - 256 by 256 pixels x16 frames vertically)

You will need the frame sizes correctly, you can do a batch resize in photoshop if you render them out all at 256 by 256 (otherwise render them to the correct size directly from 3d models).

There are 4 sprite sheets for each Scout/Transport/Cruiser/Mothership so the player has more variety but for modding you can reduce to just one of each type (and just clone it 4 times and name it the same way, eg: MS0000, MS1000, MS2000, MS3000).

You can use this script to automate the sprite sheets:
http://alessandroituarte.com/blag/2012/07/03/470

Once you have one, you can place it in the mod folder (eg: under races/race04/ships). To make a testbed, give your race lots of money, purchase ships of each type and save the game. You then just have to hit continue and double-click on the sector the preview (or engage sector with game option instanced mode - off).

If you need further help at any point feel free to ask. Will try to respond as quickly as possible.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

Thank's Zaimat!
I've had some success in creating a sprite sheet manually but have another question. Where is the file that controls the green glow around the ship? My sprite appears in the game ok, but the blank background and glow of the design I replaced are still there!

Also, for testing is there a way to move the ships to see if all 16 directions are working? If I buy the ships and place them I can only see one facing. Any mouse clicking in the sector preview just returns me back to the main screen.

I'll try the Photoshop script early next week. Progress is being slowed by real life, but progress IS being made. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Thorn wrote:Where is the file that controls the green glow around the ship? My sprite appears in the game ok, but the blank background and glow of the design I replaced are still there!
Can you post or email a screenshot to support @ horizongame.com so I can see exactly what you mean?

For testing the 16 positions: In the game options menu, turn off instanced combat, then press engage sector and save the game. You can then start the game any time, hit the Turn button and rotate each ship to test by right-clicking.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Thorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Thorn »

Here's a screenshot of what I mean. Ignore the ship sprite I created, it had some transparency issues that I fixed. :P