Template customization

Learn to create Mods and post links here for others
RavenCurow
Voyager
Voyager

Template customization

Post by RavenCurow »

Is there a way to mod the template restrictions? I tried making a human template and then transferring it into the mods folder and editing the starting techs section to unlock more tech options, but I'm not sure what the numbers do or if I'm even doing it right. What I want to do is unlock the tech restrictions for humans so I can make custom templates like they were before the default techs were locked in. Is there a way to do this?

The numbers Mason, what do they mean?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Template customization

Post by Zaimat »

1. Exit the game first
2. Open Horizon.ini (found in MyDocuments\horizon game\horizon.ini)
3. Check if this line exists in your Horizon.ini and if it does change it to TRUE otherwise just add it at the end on a new line and save the file.
MOD_ALLOWADVANCEDRACES=TRUE
4. Start the game and you can now create the custom race directly in game from customize race, click the checkbox advanced race while customizing for unlimited points. And then move the xml file into your mod.
5. There are still some things you can only do from xml (like number of starting colonies etc) but not many.

If you need any further help let us know.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

RavenCurow
Voyager
Voyager

Post by RavenCurow »

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was able to find and activate the code no problem. ^.^ Now I'm off to conquer the galaxy with my re-customizable humans.

RavenCurow
Voyager
Voyager

Post by RavenCurow »

Another question if I may. I noticed there are quite a few techs in the now editable tech stats xml that were never enabled. I've found how to enable them, but is there a way to edit their descriptions? The short ones in the tech stats xml don't show the whole description shown in game. Where are these description files located? Also, when trying to activate the antimatter cannon it does not appear in game. Is there a way to activate this tech in game, or was it simply never fully built? Just wondering as these things interest me and open the door to using the other unused slots to mod in new techs.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

The disabled techs were placeholders that we did not implement. So it's unlikely to work just by enabling them as they require other components like corresponding custom visual effects and special abilities at level-5 like other weapons which don't exist for these on the code level.

But just as a fyi, techs are enabled/disabled by changing the xml value from -2 to -1 in the race templates (you have to do this for all races). You can rename all existing techs and change their values from the tech_stats.xml in global gamedata and the names under lang gamedata for each language.

RavenCurow
Voyager
Voyager

Post by RavenCurow »

I see. That would explain the antimatter cannon. When enabled it it appears in the template screen, has all of its level up effects, but doesn't appear in the ship design window unless its the highest level weapon you start with and is equipped by default. Other than that it works fine. Is there a reason it wouldn't appear in the design screen? I'm guessing it would be because its missing that code. Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate the timely responses. Its not often I play a game where the devs respond to questions so quickly.

Also, is it possible to add new techs in a mod? From what I've seen there isn't an xml for the level up stats so I'm guessing not. It would be a nice addition for a future update if so. Again, thanks for the info. I hope I'm not being too much of a bother. I just love modding games that I like. Sometimes more than playing them lol.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

RavenCurow wrote:...Other than that it works fine. Is there a reason it wouldn't appear in the design screen? I'm guessing it would be because its missing that code.
Exactly. The ship design screen code isn't handling those like it should. I can change that but it would not be enough to have it functional in combat.
RavenCurow wrote:Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate the timely responses. Its not often I play a game where the devs respond to questions so quickly.
Happy to answer!
Also, is it possible to add new techs in a mod? From what I've seen there isn't an xml for the level up stats so I'm guessing not. It would be a nice addition for a future update if so.
I'm not sure if you mean enabling other techs from the start. In the races default.xml file any tech that has "-1" can be changed to "1" and they will start with them. Alternatively use the Advanced race flag mentioned earlier in the thread.
Again, thanks for the info. I hope I'm not being too much of a bother. I just love modding games that I like. Sometimes more than playing them lol.
You might want to consider becoming a game designer :)

RavenCurow
Voyager
Voyager

Post by RavenCurow »

Well what I'd meant was I was wondering if it was possible to mod new techs into the game. Though from looking at the available files it doesn't appear so. Still, might be interesting for a future update. Hint hint, nudge nudge. lol

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Since we are on the topic I was wondering if it was possible to modify/change the number of tech points available for customizing a race?

I often feel that I could use another 50-100 points when customizing my race to make it just right, but using the unlimited mode would just make it too tempting to add too much to make it fun.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Yes, the number of points for customizing a race is currently in code but it would be possible to expose this to XML for modding purposes.

{EDIT} This has now been added.