Font very hard to read

Report bugs or help with technical issues
BlackGyver
Explorer
Explorer

Font very hard to read

Post by BlackGyver »

Hello, I've grabbed Horizon just today, and here's what the text looks like;

All blurred and barely readable in places, it's actually making reading text a strain on the eyes. Is it normal? If yes, any plans on improving readability? If no, do you have a solution?

Cheers!

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Font very hard to read

Post by True_poser »

Are you playing the game windowed or in fullscreen?
What is your ingame resolution and what is your monitor's standard resolution?

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

This is certainly not correct.

May inquire as to what operating system you're running, as well as the resolution, and the video card?

I can suggest fiddling with the video driver Anti-Aliasing settings, forcing it through the driver since the game doesn't currently support changing this.

EDIT: Someone else had this issue a while ago in this thread: http://forum.l3o.com/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... lit=blurry
It was resolved by updating his intel graphics drivers.

Additionally, if that's not the case for you, Window's text and icon 'dpi' settings can potentially cause this if they're not set to 'Smaller 100%' (I haven't witness this, but I have heard it is possibly the case). This can be found in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display"

BlackGyver
Explorer
Explorer

Post by BlackGyver »

I am playing the game in fullscreen, in 1680*1050, native screen resolution is also 1680*1050. I'm on Windows 7 64 bits (x86). My graphics card is an ATi Mobility Radeon 5870 HD. DPI settings in "display" are set to "Smaller (100%)" already. Will try fiddling with the Catalyst Control Center, but I'm afraid I'm a bit clueless otherwise.

BlackGyver
Explorer
Explorer

Post by BlackGyver »

Well, tried various things including every possible solution mentioned so far in this thread, to no avail. I'm currently playing with text somewhat blurry - as shown - which is a bit annoying, but what can I do?

Thanks for trying!

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

You might also try changing between exclusive Fullscreen and Borderless Window modes - it's difficult to say, without being able to recreate this issue myself, what will be helpful.

coldee
Voyager
Voyager

Post by coldee »

Got the same :(

http://imgur.com/EtmGmFE

My system: Windows 7 (64 bit), graphic card Radeon 5470 (actual drivers).

On each resolution, window/full screen mode and font/antyaliasing settings I can't read most of game buttons :cry:

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

coldee wrote:Got the same :(

http://imgur.com/EtmGmFE

My system: Windows 7 (64 bit), graphic card Radeon 5470 (actual drivers).

On each resolution, window/full screen mode and font/antyaliasing settings I can't read most of game buttons :cry:
The issue displayed here is different than that of the original poster (though they seem similar - this one has to do with textures, while the other was with the font rendering).

I can suggest getting the latest update for your video drivers, as well as setting them to their default settings.

On a side note, the image here is also from the launch version of the game, we have made many fixes since then, I would suggest connecting to steam to get the updates if you haven't done so already.

logfromblammo
Voyager
Voyager

Post by logfromblammo »

I am also having this problem. It looks very much like a font with a design height of 6 pixels that has been scaled up to a larger size and then blurred to conceal the pixelation. The menus, dialogs, and buttons are barely readable. The same problem occurs in every available resolution and windowing mode.

There is no separation between the middle and bottom strokes of 'e', 's', and 'a' characters. There is no separation of ascenders and the top of x height, and no separation between descenders and the baseline, as seen in 'f', 'g', and 'y' characters.

The scrolling text of the credits screen is legible. The slightly larger text of the Game Setup screen is legible. But both are harder to read than similarly-sized text in other programs, such as the words on this very page, as rendered in a web browser.

My system is Win 7 (x64).
Here is a selection of diagnostic info from DXDIAG:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.023Hz)
Driver Version: 9.17.10.3517
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/20/2014 07:40:46, 12617728 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

logfromblammo wrote:I am also having this problem.
We have had a few people with similar issues and they were fixed by trying a different intel driver version or changing a filter settings in the display driver options in windows (right-click on the desktop and intel graphic options). So I would suggest trying those settings first.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 is on the very low-end for video games. I have been able to run Horizon on a Lenovo laptop with HD 3000 but it was very slow. Their newer versions like 4000+ while not ideal for desktops work much better for games on laptops or tablets.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

logfromblammo
Voyager
Voyager

Post by logfromblammo »

Entering the 3D display settings of my graphics driver and selecting the "custom settings" checkbox was sufficient to resolve the problem.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing the solution too!
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf