[1.0.1.108]Fighters are too underpowered

Report bugs or help with technical issues
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

[1.0.1.108]Fighters are too underpowered

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

I can have fighter bays, so I merrily made my first space carrier as fast as I could.

But then I discovered the terrible truth: all this fighters are simply decoys, not worth anything.

Fighter bay takes twice of place that I have on the average Scout. But my Scout can kill mothership single-handed (I believe, it means that Scouts are way too overpowered... but I didn't test. It will be purpose of my next game! :) What can do squadron of 5 fighters? Oh, it can fire once per turn for awesome 10 damages!!

Also, I just noticed that I haven't technology for fighters. Can it be the reason, maybe? Accidentally skipped technology tree?

Anyway, right now fighters looks like bad joke. Fix it, please? :)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [1.0.1.108]Fighters are too underpowered

Post by keller »

Fighters do make great decoys but can tear small ships apart and help rip holes in shields of larger ships. They can be used as both decoys and fire support. As far as them being underpowered I disagree because if used right they can be most helpful.
keller~

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

keller wrote:Fighters do make great decoys but can tear small ships apart and help rip holes in shields of larger ships. They can be used as both decoys and fire support. As far as them being underpowered I disagree because if used right they can be most helpful.
Explain it, then. Let's say I can get one fighter squad per turn, just as scout (Actually, it takes too many items in consideration, and usually fighters still much slower to get than scouts. But let it be even). But for scout I have about 10-12 guns, each with power compared to fighter squad - or overcoming it. Why must I select fighters then? I could get some use of fighters if they had 5 shots instead one (anti-missile, specifically), but even there it doesn't work, as one squad shot=one eliminated missile, so quite useless. What am I doing wrong?

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Ok, fighters are small targets and can not be hit with heavy lazers. They work best in groups of 2 or more squadrons. As your technology increases it becomes harder to hit them. So one shot one kill is not always the case especially if you are using targeting disrupting weapons. They have small mount lazers so they can be used to help you defend your ship from incoming enemy missiles or in the face of overwhelming force can delay the enemy forces long enough for your ships to escape (decoy).
as one squad shot=one eliminated missile, so quite useless. What am I doing wrong?

You should use your fighters in conjunction with your point defense lazers on your ship. (you have the ability to fire different weapons at different targets on your ship) To use a specific weapon on your ship turn off all the others by clicking on them. You can turn them back on when your ready to use them. Additionally , if you have weapons that are out of arc then turn your ship so that you can bring more weapons to bare.
keller~

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

keller wrote: They have small mount lazers so they can be used to help you defend your ship from incoming enemy missiles or in the face of overwhelming force can delay the enemy forces long enough for your ships to escape (decoy).
Well, decoy is only meaningful use I see. Unfortunately, it worth too much for decoy. :)
You should use your fighters in conjunction with your point defense lazers on your ship. (you have the ability to fire different weapons at different targets on your ship) To use a specific weapon on your ship turn off all the others by clicking on them. You can turn them back on when your ready to use them. Additionally , if you have weapons that are out of arc then turn your ship so that you can bring more weapons to bare.
Yes, I know this part, thank you. ;P And it is not about fighters, you see? :) My scouts does all this functions much better, so the question. :)