[1.0.1.108]Something wrong with the allied combat

Report bugs or help with technical issues
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

[1.0.1.108]Something wrong with the allied combat

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

Situation:

1. I am allied with Barsig and in war with Barbecks.

2. In the Barbecks system where my fleet patrolling, two Barsig scouts tries to attack the enemy. I receive "Do you want to assist?" message. I agree.

3. My two scouts destroys orbital station, and I go to fast combat - I have no passion to destroy planetary defense manually, because with 20 ships it's the tedious chore (worth to suggest something... but not this time). By results Barsig lost both scouts, Barbecks lost everything, I lost nothing.

4. After the battle I received note from Barsig: "Stop to destroy our ships!" What?!

So, I think that there is one of two possible bugs:

- Either my fast combat destroys allies along with the enemies;

- Or any allied losses in combined battle goes to my account, regardless of who actually killed this ships.

Check it, please?

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [1.0.1.108]Something wrong with the allied combat

Post by keller »

Hi again. If you can reproduce this from a saved game then this might be a good time to use the reporting tool.
keller~

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

keller wrote:Hi again. If you can reproduce this from a saved game then this might be a good time to use the reporting tool.
Hello. Hmm, as I see, it was too long ago. :/ I will remember it for the next time.

Hmm, I found the reporting tool. Is it better than forum post? In forum at least I can put savegame... But I have no idea what priority developers has, of course. :)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

The reporting tool automatically uploads and emails debugging files of the last 10 turns to the developer and is their preferred method but there are certainly times when a screenshot in a post would be better.

If it is possible for you to reproduce a suspected bug be sure and include this information in your post or report as this will increase the speed of tracking down any suspected bugs.
keller~

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

What you reported should not be possible so I'll do some testing to see if I can reproduce it.

The game keeps autosaves for 10 last turns as Keller mentioned so if it happened within that period do send a report and I'll check. Thanks.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:The game keeps autosaves for 10 last turns as Keller mentioned so if it happened within that period do send a report and I'll check. Thanks.
Aha! Found it. Autosaves, that's it.

Unfortunately, while games _are_ definitely covers this period, I cannot found situation described. :/ Only one, quite similar situation was day before my post, and this was scouts vs planet. No station. Actually, there was only three allied battles, during whole day (about 6 turns), and nothing exactly like described.

I am starting to think that it was my fault, and I destroyed poor scouts instead non-existing station. :(

Sorry then. But I will keep my eye, if something similar will happen again. And if it will _not_ happen - it's definitely my fault. Sorry again.

Hmm, on the other hand, when I tried to reproduce situation _again_, with the same save, nothing happened at all. No allied battles this turn. %|

Seems, game is more randomized than I thought. *sigh*

Well, I will stick to "user error" version until something new appears. And sorry again third time.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

No problem. It gave me an idea that since (human) errors can happen in battles may be it would be cool if occasional 'accidents' happen in game and an ally ship is hit due to fumbles. Can open some new game possibilities. At least in theory ;)
Smiling_Spectre wrote:Seems, game is more randomized than I thought. *sigh*
Most likely some parameters changed if you replay several turns back before the battle. So this is possible.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:
Smiling_Spectre wrote:Seems, game is more randomized than I thought. *sigh*
Most likely some parameters changed if you replay several turns back before the battle. So this is possible.
Well, it wasn't "several turns back", it was exactly same autosave. :) There is no use to make several turns in row in such delicate issue, I think. So I simply sequentially restored every autosave since 28th to 30th, then press "End turn" and look for the needed results. Mentioned battle was in the very first autosave, but when I restored it again to try to lure enemy to this scouts, I received different results - without allied battles at all.

Nothing bad in it, I like randomized battles. But in case of reproducing issue - especially when I am not very sure where exactly it happens, and there are about two dozens of suspicious systems - it was not very convenient. :)

Actually, I was prepared to random, as I got 2 identical warnings about my expansions before that, during replaying this 6-7 turns (It was actually enough to test first 4-5, but I stopped to try saves when I was _sure_ that they are too away from the target situation). In "actual" game I didn't got any warnings, obviously - with the identical initial pre-end-turn conditions. :)

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

He-ey, I just got it again!

And it seems like it have nothing with allied combat. %) Something different is here.

Only battle this turn is auto-battle in the Yergat system (sector I), against Barbeks. I destroyed their scout here.

And at the end of turn I got "Stop to destroy our ship" from the... Barsig. Oh? %)

Reload, repeat. Same result.

Reload, manual battle. Same.

Reload, refuse to battle. Still the same!!

So _someone_ killing poor Barsigs, but I am blamed, it seems. %)

Hmmm, I was sure that I could include files in my post. But no. Oh, ok, I doubled this message in reporting tool.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

We did not receive the report, can you try sending it again or manually send the save game folder (zipped etc) to support @horizongame.com and I'll look into it asap.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Message sent. (Hmm, report said that it was successful!)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Thanks, got it this time. We found this obscure bug and will have a fix for it in the next update soon!

It looks like according to the saved game you had attacked some Barsig ship(s) many turns ago (8+ turns ago according to Barsig history). The diplomatic threat dialog didn't get cleared after displaying (as it would have normally on the next turn) so it repeated at a later turn out-of-context.

The bug could only happen if the game was saved/reloaded during the turn that the attack happened. The fix will make sure this no longer happens. Thanks again for reporting this!

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Thanks, got it this time. We found this obscure bug and will have a fix for it in the next update soon!

It looks like according to the saved game you had attacked some Barsig ship(s) many turns ago (8+ turns ago according to Barsig history). The diplomatic threat dialog didn't get cleared after displaying (as it would have normally on the next turn) so it repeated at a later turn out-of-context.

The bug could only happen if the game was saved/reloaded during the turn that the attack happened. The fix will make sure this no longer happens. Thanks again for reporting this!
Huh, it's quite a big "only". :) As one turn takes as long as half-hour for me sometimes, then I am playing 2-3 turns at once, so at least third of the turns could be affected. :) Thank you!

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Yes, definitely that should never happen with the dialog regardless of how many turns are played. The patch should be up later this week.

Some stats from your saved game:
Number of objects in game (max reached) : 2505
Number of objects in game (active) : 2494
Number of player objects in game (active) : 1580

Note: objects are defined of ships, orbitals and colonies.

Because we have no cap on number of objects, it can add up if you colonize most planets, build orbitals and large fleets playing in a galaxy with ~200 stars and thousands of planets. The game is highly optimized for short turn times but we are always looking to optimize more. But I would suggest reducing number of objects or playing in average/fair size galaxy on older pc's or laptops for quicker turns. Also note that if the game is running in window mode, it needs to be in the foreground to get full cpu speed.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Because we have no cap on number of objects, it can add up if you colonize most planets, build orbitals and large fleets playing in a galaxy with ~200 stars and thousands of planets. The game is highly optimized for short turn times but we are always looking to optimize more. But I would suggest reducing number of objects or playing in average/fair size galaxy on older pc's or laptops for quicker turns. Also note that if the game is running in window mode, it needs to be in the foreground to get full cpu speed.
Actually, I am aiming to increase amount of the objects. That's the mean of 4X for me! :D Yes, I am aware of side effects, but thank you for the warning. :) I tired of lame restrictions of practically all newest 4X "Fit yourself into 5-10 planets/cities or we will force you to shrink". :| I think, Firaxis is to blame, but maybe they simply follow common trend...

(*Reminding about possible fleet list expansion...* Well, I hope, you seen all my suggestions ;)