[1.0.2.122] Supply range bug(?)

Report bugs or help with technical issues
Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

[1.0.2.122] Supply range bug(?)

Post by Bansheedragon »

I have an issue with supply ranges for my ships I dont quite understand.
I have a scout and a colonizer.
The scout has 1 supply bay and nuclear engine(Lv2), the colonizer has 2 supply bays and graviton engine(Lv3).

I just had a scout survey a system and found a planet I wanted to colonize, however the colony ship cannot reach the planet as its apparently outside its range, even though it has more supply bays than that of the scout.
What I dont understand is how the colonizer can have a shorter range than the scout has, even though it has twice the number of supply bays.
Should not the range of the colonizer be longer than that of the scout since it has more supply bays?

Beam316
Explorer
Explorer

Re: [1.0.2.122] Supply range bug(?)

Post by Beam316 »

Bansheedragon wrote:I have an issue with supply ranges for my ships I dont quite understand.
I have a scout and a colonizer.
The scout has 1 supply bay and nuclear engine(Lv2), the colonizer has 2 supply bays and graviton engine(Lv3).

I just had a scout survey a system and found a planet I wanted to colonize, however the colony ship cannot reach the planet as its apparently outside its range, even though it has more supply bays than that of the scout.
What I dont understand is how the colonizer can have a shorter range than the scout has, even though it has twice the number of supply bays.
Should not the range of the colonizer be longer than that of the scout since it has more supply bays?
Hi its interesting that is Not a bug.
Sometime ago i read it in a post of zaimat about this same issue that 1 suuply bay in a scout give to them or their taskforce (Fleet) 5 more supply range while in a medium hull 1 supply bay gives to the ship or taskforce just 2 more supply range. So in sum your scout has more supply range (5 more supply range with just 1 supply bay) than your cololny ship (4 more supply range with 2 supply bays on it), as an aside note on the supply bays in the large hull ships they give just 1 more supply range or their fleet and in the motherships not even 1 just half of supply range for the ship or the fleet they are in.
And also i think that your level 3 graviton engine is still slower than your nuclear engine anyway :wink: :)

Beam316
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Beam316 »

maybe I was wrong about the amounts, but the general idea is like the same anyway here is the 1st quote i found from zaimat related to this issue:
Zaimat wrote:Supply Bays/containers take a fix amount (30) of available space on the ship. Thus each installation provides a certain amount (100) of supplies.

Bigger ships consume more supplies (which affects their range). The hull size required supply ratio is the following: 1/5/10/20

Small ship with 1 supply bay has same range as Medium ship with 5 supply bays and so forth.

---

And yes engines augment ship range as well because you can travel faster with same amount of supplies.

---

Supplies are pooled together in a task force. So it's possible for example to have a transport ship full of supply bays to augment the cruisers/motherships etc.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

After playing a little more I discovered something interesting.
I have a second colony ship that had a nuclear engine,and that ship had a longer supply range than the one with the graviton engine.

I'm not able to check it right now, but I think the description of the graviton engine was that it could travel either longer or faster than most other engines.

Beam316
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Beam316 »

Bansheedragon wrote:After playing a little more I discovered something interesting.
I have a second colony ship that had a nuclear engine,and that ship had a longer supply range than the one with the graviton engine.

I'm not able to check it right now, but I think the description of the graviton engine was that it could travel either longer or faster than most other engines.
well the thing is thats the case just when both engines are above level 5, where the graviton engine match the speed of the nuclear speed at the same tech level, until then the nuclear engine is always faster than the graviton, and at level 1 is twice as faster even, beacuse the base speed of the nuclear engine is 40 per turn while the graviton engine base speed is just 20 per turn, so there is the main reason of why you have that issue nothing strange there as work as intended, But also for you know at their max speed the graviton is much faster, with 92 per turn, than the nuclear with like 67 per turn anyways you could check all this stats in the techs descriptions of the engines, maybe you could check and see all the techs again when you see "stranges" things going on hehe :wink: :)