Question about uninhabitable planets

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
vbidez
Voyager
Voyager

Question about uninhabitable planets

Post by vbidez »

Hi,

I'm playing my first game just figuring things out and I'm trying to figure out what the situation is with uninhabitable planets? Is there a way to be able to colonize them or are they forever uninhabitable? What determines which planets are habitable? For example, why can I colonize Arctic planets, but I can't colonize Desert planets? Is there any way to use uninhabitable planets other than just as a military outpost?

Thanks for the help.

vbidez
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Question about uninhabitable planets

Post by vbidez »

I have a second question about the game I was playing.

Someone attacked one of my planets. There was a Starbase, a missile launcher on the planet and a ship in orbit. 2 enemy ships came towards me and I destroyed them. Nothing else happened after that, no other enemy ships were visible and then the combat ended. After the combat ended it said that I had been defeated in an invasion and that the planet had been taken over by an enemy.

What happened?

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

vbidez wrote:Hi,

I'm playing my first game just figuring things out and I'm trying to figure out what the situation is with uninhabitable planets? Is there a way to be able to colonize them or are they forever uninhabitable? What determines which planets are habitable? For example, why can I colonize Arctic planets, but I can't colonize Desert planets? Is there any way to use uninhabitable planets other than just as a military outpost?

Thanks for the help.
What planets you can colonize depends on whether nor not you have terraforming.
In the early game you will only be bale to colonize 4 types of planets.
Terran, Oceanic, Arctic and Desert

Once you have developed Terraforming you can colonize all planets except gas giants.
Toxic planets are considered extremely polluted planets, and they have to be cleaned first before they can be terraformed.
You know they have been cleaned when they have become barren at which point you can start terraforming.

Hope this helps.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

vbidez wrote:I have a second question about the game I was playing.

Someone attacked one of my planets. There was a Starbase, a missile launcher on the planet and a ship in orbit. 2 enemy ships came towards me and I destroyed them. Nothing else happened after that, no other enemy ships were visible and then the combat ended. After the combat ended it said that I had been defeated in an invasion and that the planet had been taken over by an enemy.

What happened?
There are 2 possibilities here.

1. A different planet was attacked and invaded at the same time.
2. Its a bug.

From what I understand, all battles happens at the same time, so if an enemy attacks 2 planets at once, you can only control one of the battles, the others are done by the AI.
I'm not completely sure about this, and its possible I have missed or misunderstood something.

Here is what you should do, if you still have the savegame from that turn.
Look at the turn report and see if another battle took place a the same time.
If there was another battle then it s possible the AI attacked and invaded the other planet.

If there was only one battle, then its a bug that should be reported and you should use the report option in the game launcher.
Using that report option sends all the relevant data about what happened to the devs so they can look at it and find out is there is a bug and fix it.
Remember to put in a description of what happened so they know what to look for.

vbidez
Voyager
Voyager

Post by vbidez »

Thanks for the information about Terraforming.

As for the second question, it turns out there were 2 combats happening in 2 different places and the second place was undefended. I was getting confused and thinking the two combats were in the same place.

Thanks all!

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

One more thing about terraforming.
You can only terraform up to the level of your races "level"

Lets say your race starts on an oceanic planet, then you can only terraform to oceanic planets, you cannot terraform to Terran type planets.

vbidez
Voyager
Voyager

Post by vbidez »

That makes sense. Thanks.

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

Bansheedragon wrote:Lets say your race starts on an oceanic planet, then you can only terraform to oceanic planets, you cannot terraform to Terran type planets.
Addition:
In this case, the oceanic planet is for your species what a terran planet is to the humans. You can examine this by viewing the planet stats: Best planets for your species always have 100% habitable area.
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

vbidez
Voyager
Voyager

Post by vbidez »

Xyquas wrote: Addition:
In this case, the oceanic planet is for your species what a terran planet is to the humans. You can examine this by viewing the planet stats: Best planets for your species always have 100% habitable area.
I like your signature. I tried to play MOO3, several times, and it just never made sense and I was never able to complete a single game. It was just confusing and not at all enjoyable. I will never understand how they managed to make that game as the squeal to MOO2.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

vbidez wrote:
Xyquas wrote: Addition:
I like your signature. I tried to play MOO3, several times, and it just never made sense and I was never able to complete a single game. It was just confusing and not at all enjoyable. I will never understand how they managed to make that game as the squeal to MOO2.
Maybe its easier to understand if you look at it a different way.

Dont look at MOO3 as a sequel to MOO3, instead look at MOO3 as an attempt at making a completely new game and then calling it MOO3 to play on the popularity and success of of the previous games.

I played MOO3 many times myself, I even managed to get pretty far once after using some community mods that helped improve the game.

But one thing I could never manage was to get to the Orion system.
No matter how large and well equipped my fleet was, there was a defending fleet in the system leading to Orion that was always larger and more powerful than mine.
It was literally impossible to defeat that fleet since the size and firepower increased in parallel with mine so I was alway lagging behind.

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

Bansheedragon wrote: Dont look at MOO3 as a sequel to MOO3, instead look at MOO3 as an attempt at making a completely new game and then calling it MOO3 to play on the popularity and success of of the previous games.

I played MOO3 many times myself, I even managed to get pretty far once after using some community mods that helped improve the game.
I didn't like them taking the name and then totally changing the approach to the game, but that's not the reason for my statement. A friend of mine characterized MOO3 like this: "I don't want to play a sci fi game that looks like a setup wizard." Although I think this is very true, this is no strong reason why I don't like this game. I don't like MOO3 because I felt this is a game of no choices. The only thing I could do as a player was to click the turn button because all other things had to be automatted to function properly. I sure tried for hours of hours to give this game a chance but the best result I could achieve was a tie on the first system I fought at. That was the point where I quit the game and sold it for nothing just to not have to see it again.
I always was a bit sad about it because I felt there was a good game underneath that ugly user interface and the broken controls. Especially the detailled terraforming approach was something I really liked. Maybe I just did not find how to play this game but this gives the game an F as I played MOO2 for months (longest play time MOO2: 50 hours nonstop).

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I did not like MOO3. It was a completely different game than the original - Kind of like dungeon siege 1 and dungeon siege 3.
keller~

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

keller wrote:... dungeon siege 3.
*shiver*

Schreck1961
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Schreck1961 »

So how do you change a planet to something you like? There are no buttons to push that say "Terraform this". What if as a Human you want to convert a Desert, Arctic or Ocean planet to Terran? How do you do this if you already have a colony on it?

Beam316
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Beam316 »

Schreck1961 wrote:So how do you change a planet to something you like? There are no buttons to push that say "Terraform this". What if as a Human you want to convert a Desert, Arctic or Ocean planet to Terran? How do you do this if you already have a colony on it?
Hi and welcome,
1st you need to discover or get the terraforming technology in order to be able to terraform via de pollution control.
2nd the way you discover the techs its random and also can be asked/demanded thru the diplomacy from other races and lastly you can have a big advance in a tech field or discover more techs when you dig in ancient ruins or things like than in planets that are alredy surveyed.
I May not Have the Game Yet, but I've seen almost every Gameplay's and like 75% of the posts cose i've been around as guest more than a year, so i can give advice or even correct and help oh and sorry if my english isnt good i'm not a english native guy.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Schreck1961 wrote:How do you do this if you already have a colony on it?
In the colony view switch "ecology control" (just left of the ships, "Maintain" by default) to "Terraform".

You can do it only if you have terraforming tech.
You can do it only if you founded the colony, not if you assimilated someone's.
To terraform a toxic planet you first have to clean it by setting "ecology control" to "clean" and waiting till the pollution comes off.

Planet automatically terraforms to your race home world type.
Terraforming speed seemingly depends only on the tech level, not the population size or industry, so it's ok to set the planet to terraform even if you have only outpost there.