To build or not to build

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
keller
Contributor
Contributor

To build or not to build

Post by keller »

How many of you build a star base on the first turn of the game ? I have been experimenting on whether it is better to go ahead and build it or to simply wait and invest in building up my planets.
keller~

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: To build or not to build

Post by Bansheedragon »

I never build a starbase if the first turn.
As I play mission mode, I always build a scout for exploration, a transport to board the Khor'thaz probe, and a barracks.

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

I'm only about 1/2 through my first game (Normal mode) and I think star bases are mostly for defense and retrofitting ships, correct? I think I would wait to build one until I was far enough in the game that other races were starting to become a threat and/or I needed to retrofit my ships. That way I could spend the money and production on upgrading my planets and trade routes.

Of course now that I'm at war with the Gargals and my armistice with the Harkan is up in 2 turns I'm building star bases at all my colonies as fast as I can.

What are the advantages to building star bases right away?

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

One of the major advantages of building one on the first turn is that any ships you have get refit. So if you build a colony ship and colinize in the same system then the colony pod will be repaired on the beginning of the next turn (very useful for colonizing your home sytems early on) It also provides a decent defense for your plant so you don't have to worry about some race attacking your homeworld. Additionally, it causes all production on the planet to be doubled. So your new trade centers which would have taken 14 turns would now only take 7 turns.
The disadvantages are that you will be broke for a while as it will take just about every penny you have to build it.
keller~

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Provided there are planets in your home system that are colonizable then it might not be so bad idea no
keller wrote: It also provides a decent defense for your plant.
I know its a typo, but I just could not help but laugh at this one.
Its one of those rare ones that really gets at me.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, i play with the advanced race mode active, so i have a pretty advanced race, i avoid building scout ships, its rather pointless, i modify the plans for transport 1 to become a explorer/colony ship, giving it scanning tools, colony pod and a cloaking device, not that it does anything to prevent detection.

I just modify the following:

Transport 1 = Expand

Cruiser 1 = Warship

Starbase = Why rename it

I rarely build warships unless its needed, having warships changes nothing on the diplomacy side of the game.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Advanced race mode?
First time I hear about that one, and not seen any option for anything like that.
I always run normal mode with missions, so is that something thats only for classic mode maybe?

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I know its a typo, but I just could not help but laugh at this one. Its one of those rare ones that really gets at me.
LOL yes its pretty awesome especially if you are thinking about a game that has a plant as a race
Advanced race mode? First time I hear about that one,..

Hmm, I always play in classic mode but have no idea what he is referring to.
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Bansheedragon wrote:Advanced race mode?
You can enable unlimited points for race creation by editing an .ini file.

I don't think building a starbase on the first turn is a good idea.
Creating a strong economy is much more important.
Starbases are ok for refitting, yes, but even for mass-colonizing a system buying 4-5 colony transports and then scrapping them is more profitable.
So, it's just a defence enhancer for time when you can afford to wage some serious wars/

Building barracks, on the other hand, makes for a cheap and quite effrective defence solution on early stages.
Troops build up quite slowly, so the earlier, the better.
Yes, when you're rich, you can just buy troop ships (troops are included), unload troops on a planet, scrap ships, rinse, repeat, but it's rarely needed - why not buy some warships instead.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Troops build up quite slowly, so the earlier, the better.
In my opinion they should build a lot slower!
keller~