The Gargals are a persistent bunch...

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

The Gargals are a persistent bunch...

Post by reefs_of_space »

I'm playing on normal mode and difficulty. I finally have enough ships and credits to mount an offensive.

The Gargals declared war on me due to my treaties with the Kuntari. They attacked one of my colonies and although they destroyed most of my fleets and star bases in the sector their losses overall were greater and I held my territory. They were weakened as they'd put a lot of credits and ships into a failed invasion.

The first expeditionary fleet was sent to Gargal Prime supported by a fleet of bombers and troop ships. It took 3 turns of combat but finally their ships were destroyed and their star bases in ruins. Another round of bombing to wipe out their soldiers and destroy their backup fleet. Finally we invaded and conquered and assimilated the Gargal homeworld.

Beginning of the next turn they opened a diplomatic channel. I prepared to welcome the Gargals into my empire when they demanded I surrender! WTH? I wiped out all but one of your fleets. I have occupied your home world and killed billions of your people. And still you defy me, the Grand Admiral of Solforce?

So, uh, how do you make them surrender? They refuse to surrender to me (and in fact demanded I surrender).

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Gargals are a persistent bunch...

Post by Bansheedragon »

I noticed that as well,and its not just the Gargals
Been at war with a race and have conquered a number of their colonies.
Then they suddenly come to me and demand I give them tribute or that I surrender, when I clearly have the upper hand.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Good to see someone enjoying this game as much as me. In answer to your question just keep pounding away on them until they beg for mercy. If that fails you can just blast them into space dust.

I have found that attacking the home world of an enemy and taking out their ship yard and star base is usually enough for them to ask for peace, but if they wish to be utterly exterminated then so be it.

In one game I had they were very friendly, but in another they were somewhat aggressive and had a hostile attitude.
keller~

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

Thanks for the replies. I was confused by the Gargals behavior. As near as I can tell they have 2 agricultural worlds each protected by a space station, 2 motherships, barracks, missiles, and about 150,000 soldiers. I don't have enough troops to just invade so will have to bomb them for a while before invasion.

@keller I'm really enjoying this game. It took a while to understand the mechanics because it does things differently than most 4X titles. For my next game I'm going to do classic mode for sure. The missions are cool and make the galaxy feel alive but I'm spending so much time playing defensively and trying to fight off the Harkans that I've yet to complete one all the way through. The only race I'm ahead of is the Gargals and that's only because they decided it would be a good idea to go to war with everyone.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Many many things are possible in classic mode. The mission mode gives you a good feel of the game, but classic mode is where you can put what you have learned to good use. Never forget to do digs on planets because there is a lot of tech out there for the taking ;)
keller~

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

keller wrote:Many many things are possible in classic mode. The mission mode gives you a good feel of the game, but classic mode is where you can put what you have learned to good use. Never forget to do digs on planets because there is a lot of tech out there for the taking ;)
When you survey a planet and it finds something it puts an icon that looks like a pick and shovel. Is that what indicates a planet you should dig? Or should you dig on every earth-like planet?

The Gargals have fallen! I had hoped they would surrender so I could complete the quest to get an ancient race to surrender but no; they fought to the death. I assimilated two of their planets. I didn't have the resources to occupy and defend their last two planets so I bombed them into nothing. They did surprise me at the last two planets. They each had fairly substantial fleets and star bases -- all cloaked. It took me about 3 hours to wipe them out. And then the eyeball guys (Barbecks I think) declared war on me for invading their space! Fortunately they seem very non-aggressive and promptly agreed to an armistice.

I have two new colonies and have cleared another system for colonization. But my empire is low on money. Wiping on the Gargals and securing another region of space cost me about 200 bc (mostly because I had to quickly build up star bases and fleets to defend against the Barbecks and Kazmaks who both want the old Gargal Prime).

It looks like I'll be playing defensively again for 20 or so turns as I rebuild my treasury and refit my ships.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

When you survey a planet and it finds something it puts an icon that looks like a pick and shovel. Is that what indicates a planet you should dig?
Yes. After you have done the dig the icon will change to more of a circle. These will give you either a new technology, enhance one you have, or in some cases jump you a level or two in an entire field.

-----edit----
Here is a screenshot, On the left side you will note the pick. On the right side is the icon that appears after you have completed your dig

Some things that you can discover are:
Transporter Technology (try putting them on a starbase !!!! )
Stargate Technolgy (teleport from one end of the galaxy to another)
Androids , and lots of other nice techs which will help your empire. Not every planet will give you something, but some will.
shields
Last edited by keller on Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keller~

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

keller wrote:
When you survey a planet and it finds something it puts an icon that looks like a pick and shovel. Is that what indicates a planet you should dig?
Yes. After you have done the dig the icon will change to more of a circle. These will give you either a new technology, enhance one you have, or in some cases jump you a level or two in an entire field.

Some things that you can discover are:
Transporter Technology (try putting them on a starbase !!!! )
Stargate Technolgy (teleport from one end of the galaxy to another)
Androids , and lots of other nice techs which will help your empire. Not every planet will give you something, but some will.
I actually had one or two every game that gave me advances in ALL tech fields.
If you are luck and get one like that early on you could get a whole level in all tech fields.

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

That sounds awesome. I have androids but haven't found star gates or transporters yet. I just entered research treaties with the Kuntari and Barsiq (sp?) so with luck one of them will get them for me. I haven't had many opportunities to dig yet because I'm playing normal mode and almost everything has been surveyed/dug/colonized already. I'm going to finish this game but I can't wait to try classic mode.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I thought I should mention that transporters can also be discovered through normal research. However, I have yet to obtain star gate technology without doing a dig.
keller~

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

I got one for the surrender part:

Owning 3/4 of the galaxy and being in war with the Varaians who had only 1 planet left, they came to me asking for me to surrender to them. It just made me smile and you probably guess my answer :twisted:
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Owning 3/4 of the galaxy can be fun at times lol
keller~

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

Xyquas wrote:I got one for the surrender part:

Owning 3/4 of the galaxy and being in war with the Varaians who had only 1 planet left, they came to me asking for me to surrender to them. It just made me smile and you probably guess my answer :twisted:
Was it "I welcome my new Varaians overlords"? :)

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Xyquas wrote:I got one for the surrender part:

Sounds to me like the game is making some very weird checks on the surrender option.
My guess is that you just bombed them into oblivion as an answer to their demand.

Xyquas
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xyquas »

reefs_of_space wrote:Was it "I welcome my new Varaians overlords"? :)
*lol*
Master Of Orion 2 = Great
Master Of Orion 3 = Trash
Horizon = The real Master Of Orion 3 :-)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I bet it was along the lines of "here, check out our new cannons, oh I'm sorry was that your ship that we just blew all to bits" lol
keller~

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

The AI surrendering (as an example) is based in part on the race in normal scenario and strictly on their philosophy in classic mode.

The warrior like / conqueror races don't surrender easily and tend to fight to the end. It's not impossible but it takes a while to push them to the limit where they give up.

Oh and the Gargals aren't an ancient race, those are strictly the Har'kan, Kor'tahz and Varaians. In relation to completing the Varaian mission.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

The warrior like / conqueror races don't surrender easily and tend to fight to the end. It's not impossible but it takes a while to push them to the limit where they give up.
I like that the warrior races are like this. It makes for an interesting game because you know they will fight to the last warrior alive and then some.
keller~