Tantik are way too overpowered

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Soldaris
Voyager
Voyager

Tantik are way too overpowered

Post by Soldaris »

Ok so been playing this game for months now. Have downloaded the latest version as of 19.5.2014.
The Tantik are WAY TOO STRONG, even on easy difficulty they are much too strong. They have 25 ships plus motherships when i only have 5 ships at most. This happens 5 games in a row and as said, i have been playing for months and months on previous versions.

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Tantik are way too overpowered

Post by reefs_of_space »

Soldaris wrote:Ok so been playing this game for months now. Have downloaded the latest version as of 19.5.2014.
The Tantik are WAY TOO STRONG, even on easy difficulty they are much too strong. They have 25 ships plus motherships when i only have 5 ships at most. This happens 5 games in a row and as said, i have been playing for months and months on previous versions.
I'm playing on normal mode and have found that all the races are a lot stronger than me. I've finally made some progress by playing slowly, making friends whenever I can, and playing very defensively while I build up my economy and fleets. I got very lucky that the Tantik are so far from me (actually, I don't know if home worlds' locations are random or redetermined). So even though I've been at war with them for 100 turns they are so busy on the other side of the map that I've been able to wipe out the Gargals and am about to begin dealing with the Harkan (who are way more powerful than me but I'm hoping I can out maneuver the AI).

Of course the Tantik are crushing the other races in their sector of space and becoming more and more powerful. So when I do finally confront them I'm probably getting my ass whupped.

Anyway, if you play as humans on normal mode you have to play very defensively for a long time as near as I can tell. I'm going to play classic mode next and from what I hear it doesn't have the same mechanic of playing catch up.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

what else can you expect from the scourge of the galaxy ?
No seriously , They often do expand but they are as I said, the scourge of the galaxy but the plus side to this is that everyone hates them. Kind of like the zuul in sword of the stars - powerful, yet diplomatically crippled. If you have a problem with them just ask your friends and allies to declare war on them. They will quickly try and make peace if they are at war with too many factions, or when you become powerful enough to start taking out some of their shipyards and bases.
I'm going to play classic mode next and from what I hear it doesn't have the same mechanic of playing catch up
This is correct. In classic mode all races start off on an equal footing.

For those who missed it, I did a post on here with some nice screenshots that you may want to check out. You can view it here
keller~

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, AI in these types of games are quite predictable, i might ask for peace and they say no, i am disgusting, being friendly with your kind is nothing but trouble, well not in those exact words, but you get the idea, but the very next turn, they ask for the same thing they insulted me by saying no to.....its just predictable and annoying.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Nah, Tantik are ok.
They are dependable.

It's the other races that irk me.
They are friendly. Then they send an invader ship to your colony. Then they invade. Then you destroy their invader ship. Then they angrily tell you to stop attacks on their ships.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

I dont know if you are aware of it, but you do have the option to select what AI races you want when starting a new game, both in Normal and Classic modes.

So if they are too much trouble for you could always just "disable" them so they are not in the game when you play, thats usually what I do as I dont like playing against them.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

No, thanks.

I just kill them all.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I did a game one time that was rather interesting because I made the tantik friendly toward me, and eventually , they became my ally. Made for a very interesting game.
Now when I played as them it was also somewhat interesting as I got to experiment with their weapons and see what they could actually do. After that game I had to play each race at least once just so I would know what they were actually capable of in combat.
I do recommend that everyone try each race at least once because there are times when knowing what your enemy is capable of as well as its weaknesses and strengths can lead to victory.
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

I don't think that's necessary.

Tantiks like to expand.
Har'kans can be strong oppenents if you're weak.

Barsigs and Gargal have immense growth rate so if left unchecked they can threaten you by sheer numbers, but it's unlikely.
Kamzak start strong and are prone to declare war on you if you don't talk to them often enough, but quickly lose the lead.
Varians do not care.
Kuntari, Lezgoon, Barbecks, Kor'tahz are pushovers.
AI Humans do not expand (I've seen 2 human colonies max), so don't even count them.

Weapons are the same for all races.
Their special effects are negligible and only come into play at level 5 and higher (that's midgame for you and usually the endgame for other races).
Oh, Barsig and Lezgoon have torpedoes that can be used for a blitzkrieg in the early game. However, AI doesn't do that.

That's all, folks.
Keep an eye on Tantiks and don't get in a war with Har'kans or Kamzaks too early.

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

True_poser wrote:That's all, folks.
Keep an eye on Tantiks and don't get in a war with Har'kans or Kamzaks too early.
Too late :( I've been at war with the Harkan since turn 30 and the Kamzaks since turn 50 and they are really starting to piss me off :)

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I suppose it depends on if you are in classic or not. Every game is somewhat random and some opponents can be obliterated with missiles where others can't. It all depends on who gets what armor techs on this but so far of all the games I have played, the barsig are the least of my worries and the kamzaks are not too far behind them.
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Kamzak have a strong lead in the beginning because they have good morale + fanatical trait which results in a very good workforce percent at the beginning.
However, they quickly lose it.