save during tactical combat

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

save during tactical combat

Post by reefs_of_space »

I'm involved in a large scale all sector war involving many taskforces. The battles are sometimes taking a long time (longer than I can usually play at one sitting). The next battle coming up is going to feature around 60 ships in the sector with enemy reinforcements on the way. Is it possible to save during tactical combat? It just occurred that I've never tried. Thanks!.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: save during tactical combat

Post by Zaimat »

It's not possible to save the game during combat. Is this with the instance combat being 50 rounds that you are finding it too long? or even at the 20 rounds without instancing?
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

Zaimat wrote:It's not possible to save the game during combat. Is this with the instance combat being 50 rounds that you are finding it too long? or even at the 20 rounds without instancing?
I'm not sure what instancing is. Is that when the AI controls some of my fleets?

It's only 20 rounds but there are a lot of ships and task forces in the sector. I'm controlling all of the ships. By too long I don't mean it as a negative criticism of the game -- I'm really enjoying the tactical combat. Now that I've got used to the size and scope and how to control multiple task forces I wouldn't want to go to smaller battlefields. There is something awesome about catching up to an invading fleet from behind and hammer and anviling them between two fleets :) Or rushing into an enemy's frontier planet and capturing the planet and its shipyards and using that to stage an invasion of their homeworld.

By too long I just meant that I often have an hour or less to play a few rounds and the combat sometimes takes longer than that. Especially when I'm outnumbered and have to be very careful tactically to avoid losing to many ships. I can only play for a few hours at a time on Sundays.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Instanced combat is available with the new update where combat is handled one battle at a time and ships are pulled closer when combat occurs if they are far apart.

The number of rounds was increased to 50 with instanced combat enabled (which is now the default option but can be switched off). So I was curious if you were referring to that or when playing with the original 20 rounds.

The instanced combat does speed up combat maneuvering since ships are pulled closer to the target automatically, also as technology advances, ships tend to become more easily destroyed. But beyond that we would need to reduce the amount of ships (based on logistics capability for example) for shorter duration combat, which is something we have considered.

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

Zaimat wrote:Instanced combat is available with the new update where combat is handled one battle at a time and ships are pulled closer when combat occurs if they are far apart.

The number of rounds was increased to 50 with instanced combat enabled (which is now the default option but can be switched off). So I was curious if you were referring to that or when playing with the original 20 rounds.

The instanced combat does speed up combat maneuvering since ships are pulled closer to the target automatically, also as technology advances, ships tend to become more easily destroyed. But beyond that we would need to reduce the amount of ships (based on logistics capability for example) for shorter duration combat, which is something we have considered.
I like combat the way it is. The only problem I have with the long battles is that sometimes I have to quit in the middle and lose some progress. I'll give the new combat a try though. I'm curious how it will change the game especially reinforcements and ambushes.

For example, my enemy was sending a large fleet to try to take back his planet. My remaining forces couldn't stand a chance but another fleet caught up to them and engaged. Would instance combat automatically move them to the closest fleet or to the fleet at their original destination (ie the planet).

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Would instance combat automatically move them to the closest fleet or to the fleet at their original destination (ie the planet).
Instanced combat pulls any task forces in the system into the battle, regardless of where inside the system. So it's a bit different in that aspect but yes best to try it out to really get a feel for it. You can always switch it off/on in game options if you want.