How can I invade or destroy a defended colony? (v1.0.1.100)

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
ulrich
Voyager
Voyager

How can I invade or destroy a defended colony? (v1.0.1.100)

Post by ulrich »

I would like to invade an enemy planet (I'm at war with Varaian, as usual) but it is DEFENDED - so, if I use the action INVADE I'm warned that it is impossible.
Before version v1.0.1.100 there was the action DESTROY COLONY (if I can't invade the colony, my second option is to destroy it) but now it is not available any more. Can I enter the combat view to destroy the enemy ships that are defending the planet (and the planetary defence)? How?
I can see many enemy ships in the same sector but (this time) when a click the TURN button I'm not asked if I'd like to enter the combat view and fight them.

thanks

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How can I invade or destroy a defended colony? (v1.0.1.1

Post by keller »

Can I enter the combat view to destroy the enemy ships that are defending the planet (and the planetary defence)? How?
Assemble your fleet then move it into the sector you wish to attack. Once your ships have arrived into the sector on the galactic map hover your mouse over the sector , and there should appear a small label that says "engage sector" Click this and you will be able to enter into combat in that sector.

Be warned that when a planet is considered defended that they may have any or all of the following:

A missile base , A planetary beam, A starbase , ships in orbit, troops, and of course planetary defenses such as a defense shield which accompanies missile bases.

Now if the enemy has cloaking technology then it is possible that you will not see some of the defenses until you are on top of them or they are on top of you. This is of course dependent upon their level of technology and your level of sensors but definitely something to consider as it can be quite a shock to head for a planet and have a starbase decloak and blow away a portion of your fleet.
Last edited by keller on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

In order to invade a planet you need to destroy its defenses.
If you hover your mouse on a planet during combat it is shown as a thick green circle around the planet with 9999 all around.
When these defences are gone, and there's draw or victory for you, you can invade no matter how many enemy ships or orbital structures are left (really, don't destroy shipyards if you're going to capture the planet).

In the new (1.1 and further) versions the combat is changed.
Usually you'll have a pop-up asking do you want to engage, autoresolve or flee, and if you want, where do you want to battle.

However, sometimes if the enemy doesn't seek action, you have to engage sector (ensure that battle will be held next turn) manually.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

If you hover your mouse on a planet during combat it is shown as a thick green circle around the planet with 9999 all around.
When these defences are gone, and there's draw or victory for you, you can invade no matter how many enemy ships or orbital structures are left (really, don't destroy shipyards if you're going to capture the planet).
Really ? ? I thought you had to destroy the starbase to ?!?
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Well, I'm not sure now.
I'll have to recheck it.

However, you have to make a conscious effort to leave a starbase alive, as they are pretty fragile.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I have found that shipyards are very fragile. Anyway , I am curious about this so I guess whoever finds out first about the planetary defenses (the planet's green circle) can post back.
I bet this will work when there is just a shipyard as they have no real offensive/defensive value (only shields). I have never tried it but its now on my list of things to do so again, whoever finds out first can post back :idea:
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

You can definitely invade a colony with shipyards still intact and in orbit.

I've tried to invade a colony with a starbase without destroying it.
I didn't destroy it, however, it was counted as "loss" in the after-battle report and I was able to invade a colony.

So, only planetary defense buildings count as a colony's defenses against invasion.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

So, only planetary defense buildings count as a colony's defenses against invasion.
This of course means that only missile bases, and planetary beams , and the planetary shield but this would also mean that there is a small visual or game play bug. (testing now)

------------------edit-------------------
here is the results of my testing.
I built a starbase on a fresh colony and used the quick buy option.
The planet has no missile base, no ships in orbit, No troops and no planetary beam. Regardless of this , the planet now shows that it is defended.

In short , even if the planet can be invaded , it is still considered and shows defended if any of the conditions in my previous post is present
A missile base , A planetary beam, A starbase , ships in orbit, troops, and of course planetary defenses such as a defense shield which accompanies missile bases.

So then, what has appeared to change is the rules on invasion (e.i you can now invade a planet even if it is reported as defended) or has it always been this way and no one has caught this until just now ???
keller~

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

I believe, "defended" just means the planet doesn't get "blockaded" if any hostile ship comes nearby.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

yes that to.
keller~