Why are tactic maps anisotropic?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Why are tactic maps anisotropic?

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

As I noticed, we have oval moving patterns. I guess that it made for aesthetic pleasure of having "elliptic solar system"... but it doesn't work then. Just because tactic map itself is square. So in reality we have annoyingly slow up-down movement comparing to fast left-right one. Is there any sense of it, except mentioned? And maybe you can consider to change it?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Why are tactic maps anisotropic?

Post by Zaimat »

In order to keep travel time equal in both directions between sectors we have to keep the current system. It is indeed faster to travel on x-axis inside systems but there is also 2x more distance to cover so it balances out in ETA.

The perspective view is not something we can change as it's ingrained pretty deep in the system and affects various things like game resolution etc.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:In order to keep travel time equal in both directions between sectors we have to keep the current system. It is indeed faster to travel on x-axis inside systems but there is also 2x more distance to cover so it balances out in ETA.

The perspective view is not something we can change as it's ingrained pretty deep in the system and affects various things like game resolution etc.
Err... Is it mean that you are keeping track of the tactical movement on the main map? Wow. %) I never thought about it. Thank you for explanation.

But again: I cannot see this 2x distance in the tactical view. It's square! What am I missing?

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I think what Zaimat is trying to convey is that it is shaped more like a football field (rectangle) than a square.
keller~

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

keller wrote:I think what Zaimat is trying to convey is that it is shaped more like a football field (rectangle) than a square.
I got this part. SO my next question: why I cannot actually _see_ it. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote:Err... Is it mean that you are keeping track of the tactical movement on the main map? Wow. %) I never thought about it. Thank you for explanation.
Yes, the galaxy is seamless in Horizon. We added instanced combat post-launch since players requested it and it's easier to manage combat but if you turn off instanced-combat you can see how it's all one persistent map.
Smiling_Spectre wrote:But again: I cannot see this 2x distance in the tactical view. It's square! What am I missing?
It's true, it's rectangular (there is 1216 movement tiles horizontally vs. 646 vertically) in tactical per system.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Hmm. Ok, I'd better show it:

I see square here. And scrolling seems follow this tactic mini-map.

So two questions:

1. Why do you have rectangular map? Would it be possible to make it square to match mini-map? :)

2. Why am I see square mini-map? Maybe it's better to make it rectangular as it is in reality?