What does exactly "Patrol" command do?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

What does exactly "Patrol" command do?

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

I expected that "Patrol" will intercept any enemy ships, allowing you to attack it.

In reality it seems like it's sort of "sleeping" command that doesn't do anything, except excluding ships from order route. Because enemy ships freely goes thru sectors with my ships, and I can patrol sector where enemy ships stationed, without triggering attacks.

Am I do something wrong, or it's really "sleeping" command? (And can I have real patrol command then? :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: What does exactly "Patrol" command do?

Post by Zaimat »

Patrol order is designed as it's namesake to provide visibility and interception by moving within the perimeter of the system to detect ships out of scan range and/or also helps with finding cloaked/stealth ships.

In instanced game mode it works more on the visibility aspect since interception is handled sector-wide at the beginning or end-of-turn.

In non-instanced game mode, battles happen at any time and patrolling will also help with the interception aspect much more.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:In instanced game mode it works more on the visibility aspect since interception is handled sector-wide at the beginning or end-of-turn.
So-o... how can I initiate this interception? Am I need to do it manually for each given sector, or is there way to automate it?
In non-instanced game mode, battles happen at any time and patrolling will also help with the interception aspect much more.
It seems, I totally missed non-instanced mode. Where can I tune for it? And where to read how it works?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Interception is automatic. In instanced mode whenever there are non-friendlies you get the prompt for potential combat in system. In non-instanced mode there is no prompt system, ships will get into fights when they are near/detect each other.

You can switch instanced to non-instanced mode from game options menu.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Interception is automatic. In instanced mode whenever there are non-friendlies you get the prompt for potential combat in system.
Hmm. But I could swear that I can hand in the system indefinitely, without any triggers from the enemy ships constructed/already presented in the system. But I can be wrong. I'll check it.
In non-instanced mode there is no prompt system, ships will get into fights when they are near/detect each other.
Oh. %) Interesting, but potentially disastrous. I'll check it later, I suppose... :)