Newb questions

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Zeebie
Explorer
Explorer

Newb questions

Post by Zeebie »

Hi everyone-
I'm brand new to the game and enjoying it quite a bit. I have a few questions I'm confused on, I hope someone can help?

-Is there some way to see all at once what all the colonies is building? The colonies list via F9 doesn't give any information along these lines, and it's rather tedious to click though each individual planet
- Where are the special abilities of weapons described? It's nice to know that my neutrino beam is "vorpal" but I have no idea what that means
- Earth says it can have 18 buildings, but after I build 15 there is nothing more available to build - are there some buildings that are unlocked later or somesuch?

Thanks for any help!

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newb questions

Post by keller »

- Earth says it can have 18 buildings, but after I build 15 there is nothing more available to build - are there some buildings that are unlocked later or somesuch?
There are 3 available levels of civilian buildings at the start. The 4th level buildings must be discovered through dig's or conquering other races who have it (via invasion).

Trade and Tourism buildings are best at generating income, especially if the colony is well located (near other colonies of yours and other races whom you have treaties with). Other things that affect are of course the level of the building, technologies, treaties, planetary resources for tourism etc. Your government building also generates tax revenue based on population.
- Where are the special abilities of weapons described? It's nice to know that my neutrino beam is "vorpal" but I have no idea what that means
For weapons, In the tech screen there is a description of what special abilities each weapon type has. It should be noted that special abilities of weapons do not start taking effect until after you have achieved level 5 in that tech and as a result will not appear in the description until then.

Hope this helps.
keller~

Zeebie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Zeebie »

keller wrote: For weapons, In the tech screen there is a description of what special abilities each weapon type has. It should be noted that special abilities of weapons do not start taking effect until after you have achieved level 5 in that tech and as a result will not appear in the description until then.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but some of the descriptions don't explain the effects - what does "critical strike" or "vorpal" mean? Is there a glossary somewhere?

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Zeebie wrote:
keller wrote: For weapons, In the tech screen there is a description of what special abilities each weapon type has. It should be noted that special abilities of weapons do not start taking effect until after you have achieved level 5 in that tech and as a result will not appear in the description until then.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but some of the descriptions don't explain the effects - what does "critical strike" or "vorpal" mean? Is there a glossary somewhere?
I did some searching on the vorpal term, but all I could find was about swords or other balded weapons from RPG games, so cant answer that for you.

Critical strike on the other hand should be pretty self explanatory.
Critical strike could mean the same as a lucky shot, you hit a vulnerable/weak spot or in a way that does increased damage.

Beam316
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Beam316 »

Zeebie wrote:

Hope this helps.
Bansheedragon wrote:
Zeebie wrote:

Hope this helps.
I did some searching on the vorpal term, but all I could find was about swords or other balded weapons from RPG games, so cant answer that for you.

Critical strike on the other hand should be pretty self explanatory.
Critical strike could mean the same as a lucky shot, you hit a vulnerable/weak spot or in a way that does increased damage.
well guys, vorpal just means that a single shoot of that weapon will damage all the sides of the attacked ships, so yea not pretty againts you but very nice practical and killer if its in your favor jejej so in short its like sorrounded damage, i read it from zaimat in a post i think btw, dont ask me when though :lol: :D :wink:

Zeebie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Zeebie »

Beam316 wrote: well guys, vorpal just means that a single shoot of that weapon will damage all the sides of the attacked ships, so yea not pretty againts you but very nice practical and killer if its in your favor jejej so in short its like sorrounded damage, i read it from zaimat in a post i think btw, dont ask me when though :lol: :D :wink:
Whatever vorpal does, it definitely does not do this. I can very clearly see single sides being damaged.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Vorpal weapons do the most straight-up beam type damage to the structure points. Where as say a Critical Strike weapon will do less structure damage but can destroy internal systems in one hit.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf