Diplomacy - why are all my negotiations so short?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Diplomacy - why are all my negotiations so short?

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

My long game coming to inevitable end, while I am controlling quarter of galaxy and researched everything to L8.

But one thing is troubling me. Regardless of race and my relations with it, every diplomatic dialogue now consist from the one reply. Already second ends with "we are boring/irritated/etc."

Is it normal? It wasn't that way before the last patch. It's true for every race: from my allies to neutrals to my enemies.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Diplomacy - why are all my negotiations so short?

Post by Zaimat »

What relation do you have with the races you are communicating?
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:What relation do you have with the races you are communicating?
Hmm, now I cannot reproduce it. :( Either it fixed itself after save/load, or... Ah, wait, it still exist for three races. (But not for all already)

When I reported, I tried to make alliances/non-aggression pacts with everyone peaceful, every turn, and I had exactly one try for race, regardless of "friendly" states (and for "neutral" too, of course). It was several turns in row, definitely five or more. And the same was true for threats: before, I could offer peace, on rejection demand the planet and then repeat demand, and only at 4th try it goes to "we are bored" course - but lately it was exactly one reply, peace or demand - no matters, and any second reply didn't work already.

But now, it seems, everyone are good, except Barbeks (still one try for asking for alliance, despite friendly state), Kor'tahz and Varaians. Maybe you can check the saves that I sent to you, please, and tell me why?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Depending on the race relations they have a different threshold before getting tired. Let's say this threshold is defined by 4 tokens for neutral relations. Tokens are used when you send a greeting when starting communications and also when you ask them for something and replenish one per turn. Tokens don't go negative so you can always communicate once a turn and ask for something.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:Tokens are used when you send a greeting when starting communications and also when you ask them for something and replenish one per turn. Tokens don't go negative so you can always communicate once a turn and ask for something.
1. Ah. So relations limits maximum amount of tokens, not regeneration amount. Got it. (Maybe worth to change it? Like, 1 for hostile/war, 2 for neutral, 3 for friendly? Otherwise it looks slightly strange - as described above. But it's only suggestion, actually, it works for me... :)

2. Err... Greetings uses one token? Why? %) Are there actions that not uses tokens then? Otherwise, if only one token replenished and one used, it have no sense in border cases (and will stay that way as long as you will try to communicate each turn). "Hi, I can talk with you, but on the second thought no, I am not". :)

Or "not going negative" means "not going below 1"?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

I think the regeneration of tokens is working fine like this to provide a good balance and prevents "abusing" the diplomacy system.

Greetings engage the ambassador so it uses one token but it will listen to one proposition and accept/reject and only after it will be tired to continue. The second check happens on response only.
Smiling_Spectre wrote:Or "not going negative" means "not going below 1"?
It can go down to zero but not lower. So it regenerates +1 on turn and that allows communicating and make at least one proposition.

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:I think the regeneration of tokens is working fine like this to provide a good balance and prevents "abusing" the diplomacy system.
Got it.
Greetings engage the ambassador so it uses one token but it will listen to one proposition and accept/reject and only after it will be tired to continue. The second check happens on response only.

It can go down to zero but not lower. So it regenerates +1 on turn and that allows communicating and make at least one proposition.
Hmm... This bit is slightly strange for me. As I see, it works this way, right?

1. Greetings+proposition=1 token.
2. Any proposition after that=1 token.

I would make check for any tokens to Greetings works, and then would have only one way of handling tokens inside... But, oh, well, result would be the same, so it not matters. :) Sorry for spending your time on this.

And thank you for your answers!