How to replenish my invading forces?

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

How to replenish my invading forces?

Post by Smiling_Spectre »

I believe, before last patch all my troops slowly regenerated up to ship capacity.

But now it's several turns already, and all my ships are on the orbits of the my planets. With barracks, space station and docks, if it matters. Nothing. They are still empty.

Only one suspicious issue: all this planets are assimilated, and not _totally_ belongs to me yet. But it not affects barracks (they are replenished as usual), so why it can affect ships?

So - what am I doing wrong?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: How to replenish my invading forces?

Post by Zaimat »

I did a quick test and could not reproduce any issue with refilling troops automatically so long as there is barracks on the recently invaded (under assimilation) colony.

Normally each task force can dock once per turn to refill troops. Exception is if player uses the unload troop order which puts a 5 turn cooldown (this is to safeguard about potential exploit).

If this isn't the case send me the save also to check further.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Aha! So basically this replenish is not free, but sucks garrisons for it, right? Or it's somewhat more complicated?

Anyway, I know why I didn't get replenishment then: I manually pulled out troops from barracks on the whole system to get at least _one_ fleet ready.

Still I want to hear how exactly it works. I.e. how it depends on barracks, and how much troops extracted from them (as I believe that I never seen empty barracks, if not directly order to get all troops from them. Maybe I am wrong here, of course.)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote:Aha! So basically this replenish is not free, but sucks garrisons for it, right? Or it's somewhat more complicated?
When using Load/Unload/Redeploy orders it adds/subtracts from the planet garrison as much as you have available and room.

Where as automatic re-supplies add 5000 soldiers (1 troop pod) per turn for each ship with empty pods, regardless of local garrison size.

When using the Unload/Redeploy orders to transfer ships *down* to the planet it sets a 5 turn cool-down for automatic resupplying the task force from a planet. This is so it won't be exploited (otherwise it will quickly refill and can be transferred back to the garrison to strengthen it, over and over).

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:When using the Unload/Redeploy orders to transfer ships *down* to the planet it sets a 5 turn cool-down for automatic resupplying the task force from a planet. This is so it won't be exploited (otherwise it will quickly refill and can be transferred back to the garrison to strengthen it, over and over).
Aha. I believe, exactly this bit hit me. Tsk.

Ok, two questions then.

1. Is it planet cooldown or fleet cooldown? I.e., can I get resupply from the _other_ planet in the same system?

2. Is it unload/beaming down troops only that affects resupply, or both load/unload and redeploy tasks?

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Smiling_Spectre wrote:1. Is it planet cooldown or fleet cooldown? I.e., can I get resupply from the _other_ planet in the same system?
The cooldown is on the task force so the planet doesn't matter.
Smiling_Spectre wrote:2. Is it unload/beaming down troops only that affects resupply, or both load/unload and redeploy tasks?
Only when unloading or adding to the planet garrison (through redeploy).

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:The cooldown is on the task force so the planet doesn't matter.
Aha. Now we have new set of the interesting questions! ;)

1. How exactly cooldown managed? Ship-by-ship, or for the fleet in whole? If it's ship-related, everything is good. But if it's to fleet, there are more possibilities for non-intuitive problems:

- What happens when "exhausted" ship leaves fleet? Does it retains "exhausted" qualities?
- What about "fresh" ships in the "exhausted" fleet?
- What about "exhausted" ships in the "fresh" fleet? :)

2. What about invading? Technically it's exactly the same as unloading, so it must share cooldown counter. Is it?

3. Can we have some visual mark of this cooldown? Because right now it's highly unintuitive, and in "fleet-related" approach can make whole range of strange unexpected problems (as for me). I cannot imagine anything unfortunately, but any sign of _unusual_ ship will do, with some pop-up hint about "quarters still reserved for troops" (better with remaining cooldown turns, but, oh, well. :).

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

The cooldown is task force based since all orders are task force based. Yes it could be better if there was also a ship based check but it adds some complications for some really extremely rare situations.

Invading sets a 1 turn cooldown like all default actions with troops.

An indicator would be nice sure, I'll see about it in a future update (no promises though).

Smiling_Spectre
Advisor
Advisor

Zaimat wrote:The cooldown is task force based since all orders are task force based. Yes it could be better if there was also a ship based check but it adds some complications for some really extremely rare situations.
Oh, well, but then you are prone to simple exploits. Basic one is: Take out ship from the fleet, take all ships from the old fleet into new. Viola! No cooldown! (Any partial exploit will work too. Like, take full ships from the "fresh" fleet while give back "exhausted").

Proposal: set "exhausted" status to the any fleet, that involving ships from the "exhausted" one. In both cases: new fleets made from splitting exhausting one retains exhausted quality, and fresh fleet that absorbs exhausted ships will absorb exhausted status too.

It will give you situation close to mine, when I unexpectedly have a lot of exhausted fleets by no visible reason - but no exploits possible. And remaining problems would be eliminated, if you'll make exhausted status visible - but it's lesser priority, of course. :)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

I've done as you proposed :D - it will now carry over the cooldown if you split or move ship to another task force. Should be in the next update.