Sobriquet’s Guide to the ‘Horizon’ Galaxy – Part I

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Sobriquet’s Guide to the ‘Horizon’ Galaxy – Part I

Post by Zaimat »

Personal Note

As part of the first group to study the recovered Kor’tahz computer data discs; I was tasked to write a primer for all new Earth Alliance officers.

Because my original work “What We Know So Far” became HUGE and untenable, it was decided to split it up into several parts that can provide the relevant and up to date information in an easy to understand format.

I know the initial reaction and comparisons for some will be from the perspective of other games that you may have played, as part of your military strategy training but a lot of this may not apply here.

This can be because of many different things such as how space is more expansive with fewer restrictions and such things can affect how you conduct successful strategies.

With careful exploration, measured expansion and clever diplomacy you will be able to survive and lead a successful human empire.

-Sobriquet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Galaxy Layout:

The galaxy is divided into six primary sectors. With each sector containing 100 sub-sectors.

A sub-sector is huge in itself spanning many screens… It may contain a star system which can have up to 9 planets to travel to and explore.

Just as there are no choke points in space, there aren’t any artificial barriers moving between sectors, stars or planets.

The number of stars and planets is randomly generated based on the galaxy configuration. It is possible to play a galaxy configuration with hundred or more star systems and a thousand or more planets.

Movement is in 2-axis (in Isometric 2d) view.

Races:

There are 10 known alien civilizations in Horizon all with their own story, schemes and goals. Playing in the normal mode you will find races of different levels, some of them more powerful than you: a lowly new space-faring race.

Who said things were fair in this galaxy…

Colonies/Outposts/Outer Colonies:

There will be a lot of systems/planets available to explore. Expansion and exploration will not be just part of the start of the game but throughout the game. The act of colonizing isn't hard but developing that colony will take time and credits. It will be more important to pick the best planets and the most strategically important ones over quantity.

Outposts are major supply bases for your military. The distance from your systems will impact your ability to mobilize and support your fleet.

How to win:

Winning is the successful experience of progressing through the different stages: beginnings, discoveries, making contact,survival, expansion, war… Leading a new space empire to become part of the galactic 'scene' and claiming your rightful place among space-faring races.

You will be able to achieve this in many and different ways but specifically through Conquest, Alliances, the Galactic Council and story-based missions with different endings based on your choices.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Ashbery76
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: Sobriquet’s Guide to the ‘Horizon’ Galaxy – Part I

Post by Ashbery76 »

When we will get a video showing the gameplay like tactical combat?

I like the game will have exploration throughout the game as in most 4x games you map the whole galaxy far too quick. Will the game have space terrain, events,various planet specials and loot to make exploration interesting..

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Ashbery76 wrote:When we will get a video showing the gameplay like tactical combat?
Should be sooner than later. We are working hard to bring it all together and if we can open up the game to the community early like we want to this will also be taken care of but I plan on making a video regardless if this happens or not.
I like the game will have exploration throughout the game as in most 4x games you map the whole galaxy far too quick. Will the game have space terrain, events,various planet specials and loot to make exploration interesting..
All! Yes! :mrgreen:
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Anguille »

Excellent news...

Now some more media to keep people interested (screenshots, music or video).
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Fairin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fairin »

hopeing to add to this personally one day.. >:)
=(^.-.^)=

" A person can look for their one true love and find them, but could they look like the one true love for the person they find. " - Fairin

Traker
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Traker »

looking forward to seeing some gameplay footage and seeing the game in action