Steam early access feedback

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
ibdoomed
Voyager
Voyager

Steam early access feedback

Post by ibdoomed »

I'll use this thread to document my feedback regarding the game.

I'm only a few minutes in but generally this looks and feels fantastic.

Naming the ship during ship design is limited to proper case. Is there a specific reason for this? I generally name my ships something like Colonizer MK1, MK2, etc... with the K capitalized, but your system does not allow this. Also a minor annoyance is that the font used doesn't differentiate between lowercase L and 1 but I can live with that.

ibdoomed
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Steam early access feedback

Post by ibdoomed »

I think these sentences should read:

At level 0, techs are in the discovery phase, meaning we do not yet know how to adapt THEM for use. Once the research progress has reached 100%, it is but a matter of time before we finally figure out how to use THEM.

I could be wrong, I'm not a grammar expert.

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

ibdoomed wrote:Image

I think these sentences should read:

At level 0, techs are in the discovery phase, meaning we do not yet know how to adapt THEM for use. Once the research progress has reached 100%, it is but a matter of time before we finally figure out how to use THEM.

I could be wrong, I'm not a grammar expert.

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Ashbery76
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Ashbery76 »

I liked the introduction story while the graphics are basic it sets up the game theme nicely.And I liked the guy playing MOO2.

Thoughts after the tutorial.

I did not see any info how to merge task forces,none in the orders panel but my experience made me try drag and drop but new players would not know.I do not see scrap or retrofit in the order panel?

Tactical combat looks pretty cool but it really needs to unlimited zoom out option.I would also like to see weapon,special range circles when I hover over the weapons in the panel.

I will post more when I play more but I like what I see.

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

The scrap button is in the fleets window (at the top on the galaxy map - or press F). We could optionally add it to the taskforce orders panel if it's used often and people really prefer to have it there.

Retrofit (upgrades) is currently automatic (ships will dock if they are near a starbase - in orbit of a planet). If people really want to manually retrofit ships we can add it to our nice-to-have list.

Tactical combat suggestions noted as well. Thanks for all the feedback.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Amaror
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Amaror »

Hey, first of i like the game a lot.
It's fun to play although it's still early in development.
What i don't like are the technologies.
It's a nice idea, that you basically just level up your stuff, but it's just not very exciting.
When i level up a technology i allready have, i think "nice", but i am not excited.
It's even worse when i discover a new one.
What i got so far from the technologies, is that every race starts with other weapons, engines, armor and generators and you discover just the stuff the other races started with. While good lore - wise, it's not good gameplay wise, because discoveries are not exciting. They are just worse than what i allready have, because they are not levelled up. So unless i discover some construction or biology stuff, i usually don't even bother thinking about the new discoveries.
While in other 4x games discovering new stuff and aquiring new technologies is the most exciting part of the game for me, in this one it's just boring.

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

I might agree that just levelling up can usually be quite bland and boring, but if done right it can be ok. The most important thing is choices and if there only ever is one choice (build everything as fast as you can) then it will become bland and boring.

I have only played the tutorial so far and I'm quite satisfied with what I have seen. I will admit that I'm usually a player that prefer more complex games but the similarity of the feel to MOO2 I get feels good. ;)

One thing that I would comment on that I noticed in the end when killing the pirate was that it was quite hard to know where my weapons would hit their ship. It might be good if the section that will be hit from any position could be highlighted when you hover your attack symbol over the target. And as the above poster said, some form of information of weapon ranges would be nice.

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

jorgen_cab wrote:...It might be good if the section that will be hit from any position could be highlighted when you hover your attack symbol over the target...
We do have something similar (maybe difficult to notice):
When hovering over the target, in the right hand port, you can see a light grey colour appear. This indicates the areas of the ship that will potentially be hit.

jorgen_cab
Citizen
Citizen

Post by jorgen_cab »

Ok, I will check that out again... perhaps it should be emphasized a little more since I did not notice it. I actually searched for some indication of just that feature.

salvo
Voyager
Voyager

Post by salvo »

I think levelling up as a form of technological process is a realistic approach, combined with new discoveries it is a simple but good model of how technological advances realistically work. Though, of course a little more diversity (especially in weapons) would be welcome. It would be awesome if there were some sort of race specific technologies which maybe could be acquired by other players by diplomacy, conquest or whatever.

crimsonsun
Explorer
Explorer

Post by crimsonsun »

I forgot to add something when doing my feedback last night, the graphs and stats were not working which is odd because they were fine when I played the first time...

By this I mean that a picture of the Graph was placed but a single red line went off and down in the opposite direction while the graph itself was absent any data... this was true both in the statistics menu as well as the news reports...

Slipsilk
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Slipsilk »

Hey,
I am going to be going back to the UI today so thanks for the feedback. Helps me better target trouble areas like the targetting of ships.

I can't promise I will get to everything but I do want you to enjoy the look of the game as much as the gameplay. I think I'll start drinking coffee soon :p
Edge loops make me silly

Grogger
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Grogger »

crimsonsun wrote:I forgot to add something when doing my feedback last night, the graphs and stats were not working which is odd because they were fine when I played the first time...

By this I mean that a picture of the Graph was placed but a single red line went off and down in the opposite direction while the graph itself was absent any data... this was true both in the statistics menu as well as the news reports...
This should be fixed in 0.0.2 (current version), though older save games will still suffer from it (the data saved is incorrect)