Tech tree

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
Kordun
Voyager
Voyager

Tech tree

Post by Kordun »

I think the tech tree in Horizon is very confused. Games like Moo2, Stardrive or Endless Space do it better. I like it when i can plan my tech for the next 50 turns or when i have generally the overall view. I like it when i reach sciences step by step. But at the moment in Horizon the only different between most of the tech´s (armor, weapons) are the costs and a littel bit more dmg or resists! What do the other members think about the tech tree?

salvo
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Tech tree

Post by salvo »

as I already said in another thread, to me the tech tree is far better than any other I've played so far in a 4x game (beside SE V). Endless space for example has a terrible static tech tree, difficult to handle and totally unrealistic. Horizon's models pretty well how technological progress works in reality, you make a discovery, a stage where you know the tech but cannot use it yet, in order to find a way to use the new tech you have to continue studying until a breakthroughs, then you can put it into usage, then there is the refinement phase where you can improve the tech virtually endlessly. That's how technology advance works in reality and how a 4y game should model it.
Please, don't change it. The model could be improved by adding new tech types and ideally by introducing race specific techs which a another player can only access i.e. through diplomacy. Forceful ways to get such race specific techs (i.e. espionage, conquest and so on) could be dependant on the knowledge about this specific race otherwise you can not use it.

CrispyMouse
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: Tech tree

Post by CrispyMouse »

One of the best things I like about the Tech "tree" is that it is not a tree. I don't have to research X to get to Y. I don't gain access to Z because I'm so far along on W. What is required is that you have to find something or trade for it to be able to research it. (Though there might be a random factor for accidental discovery).

At the very beginning you don't see all the technology and in fact even though had researched all the technologies available to 10 in the game I just finished I'm not sure I saw all the technology. Often times through out the game you dig at a ruins and gain the ability to start research some new technology. Or you trade with another species for the technology, so talk frequently with your "friends" as they might have new technology for you to research.

Also you don't need to plan your next research, other then what your focus is (both overall [rarely used by me] and internal to the field [used extensively]), as you are researching everything simultaneously.