Ship-Design

Strategy, Guides, FAQ
jeanlucpickacard
Voyager
Voyager

Ship-Design

Post by jeanlucpickacard »

How can customize my own ship? I see only 4 pre-structured ship-designs, which is just not enough.

Why not build a ship with a workshop-tool like in civ1? With this way one could build a tiny (scout) vessel up to huge ship with unique weapons (like battlestars).

I hope you can answer my questions - maybe a producer of the game.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ship-Design

Post by Lithari »

You can modify the designs to how you see fit.

On the colony tab, any colony, there is a design button, click it, then you can modify any design, up to 4 versions of each type.

jeanlucpickacard
Voyager
Voyager

thats the point. there are only 4 basic designs.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

There are 4 versions of 4 ship types.

That is totally enough to use.

I personally never use the scout ship hull, too small and useless in my opinion, I use the transport hull, as an explorer vessel, a colony ship and a boarding vessel, if the need arises.

I use the Cruiser Hull as fighter carrier and I use the mothership as the warship, planet bomber (heavy weapons or bombs)..it depends on my preference of playstyle at the moment of playing.

I also use the mothership hull as a bigger fighter carrier and a invasion ship.

FrozenFallout
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FrozenFallout »

I have to say after playing for a while and also remembering how most other games end up with you just building a ton of the biggest or second biggest ship in the game, I have come to like the idea of only 4 ship sizes. Although I do have to admit at first I was stunned by the fact you could make all sizes at the start and that you could build each size all on the same turn.

However I do hope that the game will have improvements to the stats of the base hull and how many points it gets for upgrades. Techs the improve not only stats but also open up more options. Like being able to do shield piercing on Lasers after you research a tech. Kinda like how Moo2 would allow you to modify weapons and had miniaturization on ships and tech to give more space, causing to go up in price for the addition but well worth it.

Currently it feels very lacking in options when I build my ships. I just put my most effective weapon in front with as much as i can fit as heavy and lights on the side. Being alpha though Im guessing we are just scratching the surface of what ship design is.

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

Well, the weapons currently have that in this game, though not even the lasers on MoO2 had shield piercing capability, it was the particle cannon that had natural shield piercing and the phasers could be gained that via technology.

FrozenFallout
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FrozenFallout »

Lithari wrote:Well, the weapons currently have that in this game, though not even the lasers on MoO2 had shield piercing capability, it was the particle cannon that had natural shield piercing and the phasers could be gained that via technology.
Right I was thinking of Phaser but I am talking more about the ability to put or take off this modification from the weapon. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the modification on a weapon like in Moo2 which I thought really improved ship designs in Moo2.

Currently its just all about the level you have your weapon tech at. Also weapons currently never get smaller and ships never seem to get more space which I felt really helped feel like your ships where improving as I got better tech.

jeanlucpickacard
Voyager
Voyager

A Nemesis-Ship would be nice.

Why not open the ship-designs to any side of size?

Killing a Planet or fleet with a death-star or

killing a huge carrier-ship with a high-end tiny micro-black-hole vessel. The unexpected is what makes games worth playing. Nothing unexpected i can find at Horizon.