Modding

General Discussions
Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Modding

Post by Anguille »

Wondering how much modding will be possible. I believe it should be possible to create a full Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG etc. mods for the game (races, ships and UI). So what will be possible (so far) for Horizon 2?

I think the analysis from DasTactic about Interstellar about modding is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtlgNEH0aUk&t=1947s
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Re: Modding

Post by Zaimat »

I'm a big believer in modding support (Horizon 1 had extensive modding capabilities including writing quests for it and the documentation with examples) but the reality is for most strategy games unless it has a huge community there won't be enough modding to make use of the effort involved to add support for it.

That said Horizon 2 through Unreal Engine 4 has the capability to mod pretty much everything, from graphical assets to writing quests to writing AI behaviors. The caveat is that you have to become familiar with Unreal Engine 4 and will need it to build the mod and package it to then share.

So basically the capability is there but there is some additional work involved to make it available. We can revisit this post-release if there is enough demand to make it worthwhile, we should be able to do it.

I personally would love to see a Babylon 5 or Star Trek assets pack in the game as a mod.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Anguille
Vanguard
Vanguard

Re: Modding

Post by Anguille »

Zaimat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:05 pm I personally would love to see a Babylon 5 or Star Trek assets pack in the game as a mod.
This would be great. As a Birth of the Federation and Star Trek fan, i would love that.
I may not post so much...but i am here watching!

Kuntari rule the galaxy: an Horizon AAR