Introduction Thread

General Discussions
Inquisitor
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Introduction Thread

Post by Inquisitor »

Greetings,

I have played countless of hours moo2 (still play it occasionally! DOSbox FTW), civ1-5, homm1-5, Endless Space, TW series and so on. I used to play a lot of RTS (sc, dow, dow2, coh, hw, sc2, and so on), but lately I prefer the stressless profound fun of turn-based games.

Stumbled over Horizon and instantly bought it when I learned it had turn-based tactical combat. I dunno why this went out of fashion given how awesome it is? The only survivor seems to be the homm games.

I have just finished the tutorial and I'm quite happy with what you've done with Horizon. I'll probably post again, when I have played some more. :mrgreen:

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Welcome aboard and some very interesting introductions, great read!

aureliustratos: BOTF, a very good classic 4x game in itself. You probably see some similarity in Horizon on the galaxy view.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

Tich
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Tich »

Hi, I've played a lot of 4x games over the years, but still not very good at them ;)

Not sure which ones I started with but I remember SC, SC2 (didn't like SC3), MOO, MOO2, (didn't like MOO3 either)

Cant remember which other DOS ones or early windows.

Nice that in last few years more have been coming out, some good, some ok, etc. Like Endless Space, Galactic Civ 1 and 2, Sins of Solar Empire, Space empires, Sword of the Stars.

Tries the tutorial so far in Horizons, looks good, just hard to remember what keys do what (is there a list of shortcut keys somewhere?)

Main concern is that the galaxy will not be bit enough (I don't like meeting the 'aliens' too early)

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Tich wrote:Tries the tutorial so far in Horizons, looks good, just hard to remember what keys do what (is there a list of shortcut keys somewhere?)

Main concern is that the galaxy will not be bit enough (I don't like meeting the 'aliens' too early)
Welcome aboard! We will have much larger galaxies in later stages (up to 200 stars to explore)! Thanks for reminding about a shortcuts list, we will add it to the manual and elsewhere. The tutorial will remind you several times. Tooltips often will also give you the shortcut keys but we need to add more.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

ergie
Voyager
Voyager

Post by ergie »

Hello, I'm ergie. I'm from Spain, and I've been playing 4x games since MOO. I've played every valuable 4x game around, since then, even some not so good (the last one... ahem Legends of pegasus ahem). I'm a big fan of this genre. So I have lots of expectations about horizon. This one promises big things to come. Only have played 2 hours (RL / sons), and I love it. My old MOO2 is coming to life again, but much better.
I read the news about Horizon in space sector, and I usually trust Adam Solo. So here I am, I bought the alpha with the wallet that steam gave me after the LoP fiasco, and I hope that Horizon will be a reference for me in the next years.

Btw, I play FPS too, but there's a time for each genre. Nowadays Im playing Planetside 2 very hard, and I was a loyal follower of The BF franchise, but I missed the traditional 4x concept. I must say, the most attractive feature of Horizon for me is the tactical combat. I am really tired of RTS style, and I missed this. My other 4x game this days is Distant Worlds, but the real time thing kills my interests on the game sessions very quicky.
Lets hope this ship called "Horizon" will go ahead.

Xenotron
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Xenotron »

Andrei from Ukraine.
Russian native speaker, so could help with translation to this (and Ukrainian) language if needed. Some gamers from CIS can't play games in English and Horizon in particular (have seen such messages on forums).

4x and space strategies are my favorite types of games. Have played in SE series, SC2(the best game of it's type so far), SC3, MOO, MOO2(the best game of it's type so far), MOO3, GC2, Endless Space DistantWorlds, StarDrive. Some other I played, but can't say smth good about them now as they weren't so good for me - as Homeworld, Homeworld2, SOSE. Have bought recently the latest SOSE game, but haven't played yet.

Horizon is a cool game so far. It has a great potential. Have some ideas to implement and it's developers to either think about them or just forget as a trash :mrgreen:

P.S. Can help as a tester as I worked some time on such position and have natural ability to provoke SW for crashes, bugs etc :mrgreen:

Tsadkiel
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Tsadkiel »

My Name is Sebastian and I am from Germany. Sorry for spelling errors. :o

I also play 4x games since the early 90's beginning with Master of Orion and Star Control and similar games like Space Empires and so on. Today I play regulary Distant Worlds, Endless Space and still MOO2. I was a little disapointed with Star Drive but that is another story so and here I would like to help improving the game, giving feedback to updates and most of all I would like to help translation to german language. :-)

Stormwarden
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Stormwarden »

Hello everyone.

I have been a die-hard fan of 4X Syfi for many years. My first computer (supplied by my parents) was a TRS80. The first one I purchased myself was a Tandy 1000 EX. I played my first 4X Syfi on that computer in 1986 and was hooked. Starflight was the game and Starflight II quickly followed. I have played nearly all 4X Syfi since. I particularly enjoyed Imperium Galactica I and II. My most obsessive game is without a doubt EVE Online which I have played without a break for 7 years. I am trying to wean myself off EVE and so have forced myself to not play for 6 months now. However I continue to maintain four accounts, lol. I just can't seem to let it go.

My wife and kids all game and we play many games together including first person shooters where I have come to realize that the young guys nearly always win lol. But Syfi 4X is definately my genre. We have 6 gaming computers in our home and often visiting friends of my children result in spur of the moment gaming nights.

Although I have monitored the forums that pertain to the games I play this is my first Forum post. I jumped at the chance to purchase this game due to the willingness of the developer to solicit input from those playing the game. I am excited to see how it progresses. I look forward to getting to know the regular posters better.

palkkipantteri
Voyager
Voyager

Post by palkkipantteri »

Hello everyone.

I am 30 years old finn. I have been playing strategy games since i remember :P. its quite funny to think that i played first civilization and MoO when I barely understood english. I am fan of strategy games, especially turn based one's like Civ series, MoO's and Master of Magic and of course HoMM's. I expect quite a lot from horizon and I hope it can bring out same kind of fun i had with MoO2 :) So far what I played Horizon have been quite positive considering its on alpha. It has in my eyes same amount of content as Endless space :P. though AI is not good. and of course there is lots of stuff to do :)

I do hope that you guys put more than 200 stars as a option. ;). for very long games :) somehow i always like to play on huge galaxy on every 4x space strategy game i play :P.

Cailean556
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Cailean556 »

My fellow Horizonites...If that's not a term used here, I hereby decree that it should be so!

My name is Cailean556. I'm from Australia and work in the government sector. My job sees me work long hours outdoors in a variety of climates and locales on occasion and I tend to travel a lot so I cherish my free time. I play a varied array of games but mostly science fiction based games (Horizon being my latest catch but also including Gemini Wars, Star Wars: Empire at War, Sins of a Solar Empire, Space Empires IV and V, GalCiv 2, MOO2 [Haven't played it in AAAAAAAAAAAGES!], Imperium Galactica 2 [Miss that game so much] and X3 as well as the incredibly addicitive Farm Simulator 2013). I also play STO and on occasion when a friend of mine wants to relive our nerdy glory days, I'll fire up WoW though nowhere near as often as I probably should or used to.

I'm also developing a novella series but if I manage to keep at it long enough, it may even turn into a saga of full fledged novels. It is also my intention to adapt my novellas into a sci fi hybrid RTS (think Battlezone 2 meets Sins of a Solar Empire with a hint of old-school browser text-based influence). Some aspects of it are quite similar to Horizon actually, as my inspirations were drawn from the same places (B5, Stargate and Star Trek are major influences though there are nods to BSG, Star Wars and a game called Imperium Galactica 2) though overall the IP is original and I hope engaging to readers once I'm done writing. I also play Warhammer 40k and am writing a short story for the Black Library as a side project though it's more of a background lore on my IG army.

True_poser
Contributor
Contributor

Post by True_poser »

Ok, my name is Sergey, and I work at the current holder of the MOO trademark.
By the way, MOO2's research screen with an Elerian in the intro is awesome (But realtime Voyager comms? Wow, FTL! Heheh.)

I saw this game in Steam's early access and I was like - "many 4X fans have been requesting for years" - really? I read this so many times...
Yep, you pretty much nailed it.

I was a fan of the genre since I first owned a computer, but, sadly, no game in the last almost twenty years has been able to topple MOO2 and Ascendancy for me.
Despite obvious alpha-stage issues, I believe you're doing this right.

Dranikos
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Dranikos »

I'm Paul, I prefer to go by my Forum name, Dranikos, when I'm online because it's familiar to me (infact if you see a Dranikos in any online community odds are 75% or greater that its me). I'm 28, live in the Eastern United States, and dislike introduction topics, so that's about as much as I'm willing to divulge at the moment. Cheers!

GhostOfGod
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by GhostOfGod »

Christ, you guys make me feel like just a pup.

The name's Samuel, people call me Sam. However, Ghost, GoG, GhostOfGod, whatever as long as I can identify myself. I am a mere 21 years of age, though I -am- a professional tester*...so hopefully I can actually add something here. Either way, I've only been playing 4x games for about 12 years? Civilization 3 was my first real dive into them, but I've been playing Strategy games since Great Battles of Hannibal/Alexander.

* - Not a game tester, specifically QA Automation testing. I write code to abuse other peoples code and make sure that it still works as designed N years in the future.

CellNav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CellNav »

Howdy folks,

My introduction is long over due ... My name is Robert. I'm an old fart at 46. My first computer ... well, dad bought a TRS-80 and my social life went down hill since! :lol: I consider myself a casual 4x gamer. It feels like it's been 300 years since I played MOO and those old memories are coming back as I play Horizon. I play mostly anything that involves strategy and some kind of turn based.

As far as real life goes ... I play an interesting video game 40 hours a week. I click things with a mouse, type on a keyboard, and talk when needed. I enjoy a good cup of java as I do my job, that's if I can get a sip or two between transmissions ... I'm an En-route Air Traffic Controller.

Anyway ... :P
Don't let me wake up and catch you sleeping !!!

Cumberlow
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Cumberlow »

Snap........46 here too CellNav.

Started out with strategy board gaming (pre-PCs) then progressed. Got into PC turn based strategy gaming later when I got a 386 (MS-DOS only), after finishing university. Win95 came out at the right time for multi player MOO2 with a Lan, the best game fun I've had and I was looking for that experience again when I came across Horizon. Time constraints mean it's mostly single player now, except for once or twice a year for board games and beer when I meet up with old friends. See boardgamegeek.com list for examples of the games we play, 7/10 of the top 10 and many more.

Real life I'm a scientist, professor and a Dad, but by night I'm a gamer. Cumberlow refers to a bronze age burial mound in the field behind my house. It means burial mound of the Welsh. My wife is Welsh....................she doesn't see the funny side of that name.

FrozenFallout
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FrozenFallout »

Hi everyone,

Thought it would be a good idea to post here and introduce myself proper.

Frozen Fallout here, been playing video games and made up Table Top RPG games before I even knew what Dungeons and Dragons was, 29 years of age and huge fan of 4x strategy games and table top gamer. Been playing 4x games since I played my first back in the 90s, the all famous Moo2. I have always compared any 4x game that I play to Master of Orion 2 while I still finding myself bringing up Moo2 every 6 months or so for a game or two. I also followed and was greatly disappointed with Moo3 when it came out although the Fan Mods did a good job of fixing allot of issues with it. Ever since I have been hoping to find a new 4x game that will make me spend sleepless nights building my space empire. Although some have done a good job, Distant Worlds, which is what I wish Moo3 would of been like a bit more great macro management system with a great micro management system, Endless Space, which had a great feeling but the card based combat just isn't as fun as the Tactical combat, Civ 5 which is awesome but not a space empire game, and Space Empires IV and V which where both very well done but are now a bit dated just to name a few.

Im really excited for Horizon and was drawn to it because of allot of the ideas I heard the Developers talk about before the Alpha was released. Bringing back Tactical combat on an epic scale is just awesome. Although I loved Moo2 tactical combat I really like what Horizon has done here with one giant map for the whole galaxy. No longer do all combats start with every ship lined up and now if you see the enemy coming many turns away you can actually intercept fleets and its all done on a tactical map. I also like the idea that you come into a living galaxy. Although many games do a well enough background story to explain why all races are getting into the stars around the same time and it make allot of sense for a 4x game as many are multiplayer and you want everyone to start on the same playing field but having a Galaxy that is filled with Old and powerful Aliens and new up starts makes it feel more like many of the Science Fiction movies and shows that I love like Babylon 5 or Star Trek. Having a story of your trek into the stars of a living breathing galaxy instead of a brawl to the death is just the kinda game I wanted to play.

Zenduce
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Zenduce »

Hello,

James from the Midlands, I remember being one of the first to get MOO1 and guessing the ship designs for security questions :) . Mainly played MOO1 & 2 and Pax Imperia. Then moved onto Command & Conquer / Starcraft games and got hooked on Battlefield FPS series ever since. Recently got back into MOO2 and saw this game/review. Just completed the tutorial and i like how MOO2 concepts has been brought into the game - loving it so far. I am not a fan of RTS space strategy games and i find alot of other 4x games too focused on ship battles.

Have a few comments/questions but will post to relevance topic area.

Keep up the good work

GDJOnline
Voyager
Voyager

Post by GDJOnline »

Hi all,

I'm Julian, from New Zealand, and rapidly approaching 40.

It cracks me up reading this thread as most of the posts pretty much sum up my experiences as well. I've always been a TBS fan - I have fond memories of Civ II, MOO2, and XCOM Enemy Unknown. I've been searching for the perfect space based 4X game for a long time, and have never been completely satisfied with the modern offerings. I was burned a bit with a pre-purchase of SOTS2 and vowed never to buy an unfinished game again (and to be fair to Kerberos they did stuck with it long after launch). However, the feature list of Horizon just proved too irresistible - I'm particularly excited by the turn based tactical combat and the event drive tech tree. I'm also impressed by the quality of comments on the forum and by how active Zaimat appears to be. Like some of you, I'm generally much more of a lurker than a participant.

Anyways, enough from me. Hope to see you around.

Teksun
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Teksun »

Howdy folks,

I feel like I'm coming late to the game.

I'm a long time 4X player. I fell in love with CIV when it first came out, it reminded me of the countless hours playing table top games like star fleet battle without having to wait for the friends to show up :). I've played just about every one I could get my hands on since. All the CIV's, MoO's, XCOM's and their spinoff's (UFO, Alpha Centauri, Lords of Magic, etc, etc, ad nauseum)

I just saw this game on Steam last week and had to give it a shot. I'm really enjoying it so far and appreciate all the hard work the dev's and contributors have put into it. I hope that I am able to help out as well.

Hawkeye
Voyager
Voyager

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi everyone,

Hawkeye here (actually I am Ralph from Germany)

I´ve been a gamer since 1980 (Battle Tech, Full Thrust, Shadowrun, ...) and a PC gamer since, oh, about ´85, played everything space from the original Elite onward (MOO of course (all versions, even MOO3), Ascendency, Conquest - Frontier Wars, Wing Commander/Privateer, the list goes on and on :) ).

Since some 10 years now, I have concentrated on war/strategy games (reflexes are starting to lack a bit), the more complex, the better (War in the Pacivic - AE and Aurora taking the cake in that regard for me)
Not much into online gaming (even if I _do_ play Eve online once in a while)

Looking forward to this one, even if it is way below my usual complexity level ;) but hey, it´s a space 4x, no way to avoid it :)
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack