Best Game Ever

After Action Reports (AARs), Gameplay Videos YouTube, twitch.tv
keller
Contributor
Contributor

Best Game Ever

Post by keller »

Just a little background before you view the file below. The barsig and gargal have one small colony each. The tantik are quite a formible foe in battle and have quite a few colonies but me and my allies should be able to quickly over run them.

Now, all the grey sectors are "allied" space and contain colonies of both mine and my allies. As you can see in this screenshot the tantik is has expanded in this game. This could turn out to be a slightly prolonged war.

Last edited by keller on Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keller~

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Best Game Ever

Post by reefs_of_space »

How did you get so many alliances? Everyone hates me. I have few ships, few colonies. I'm weak and friendly. Yet all but three races are either hostile to me or at war.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

Monetary aid tribute, and offering ship supplies go a long way. If you do not have much money offer them ship supplies. Additionally, The difficulty setting also appears to affect how races react. There is a huge difference between normal and easy when it comes to diplomacy and I have found that the easy level is the most balanced in the game so I do not play using normal difficulty as everyone will hate you at normal difficulty no matter what you do. It also helps to expand and get as many colonies as possible as the kortah'z won't usually ally with someone unless they have some colonies. Last but not least I am playing in classic mode.

---Edit---
Thought I would add that I have 53 colonies and a strong economy giving me around 60bc to play with each round.

---Edit---

and now let the war continue!! The gargals have happily colonized the now vacant system which used to contain an enemy colony.
My fleets are currently bombarding 2 of the enemy's systems and a third one is about to be decimated in 2 more turns. I am also building an additional assault fleet from starbase 5 that will deal the final crushing blows to the enemy.

keller~

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

Thanks for the answer! I'm playing my first game so started out on normal difficulty in normal mode. Everyone hates me and I'm pretty excited to be generating about 13bc a turn. I have very few colonies because most of the galaxy was already colonized by turn 5.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I'm going to suggest starting over because of the difficulty setting you used. My first "normal" difficulty game I deleted because it was very frustrating and really took the fun out of it.
You can always up the number of systems when starting a new game ( recommended! ) and probably should as a galaxy with fewer systems won't leave you much room to work with.

May I ask what race you are playing as ?
keller~

reefs_of_space
Explorer
Explorer

Post by reefs_of_space »

keller wrote:I'm going to suggest starting over because of the difficulty setting you used. My first "normal" difficulty game I deleted because it was very frustrating and really took the fun out of it.
You can always up the number of systems when starting a new game ( recommended! ) and probably should as a galaxy with fewer systems won't leave you much room to work with.

I'm playing as the Humans. It's the sort of a campaign mode where you start out as an underdog and the Kor'tahz befriend you early on. So far only the Kor'tahz and Kuntari like me. The Lezgoon were friendly after I killed some Tantik for them but as I've been cut off from them for many turns they are now neutral. Every one else is either hostile to me or at war.

Does classic mode have the events and quests?

Lithari
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lithari »

reefs_of_space wrote:
keller wrote:I'm going to suggest starting over because of the difficulty setting you used. My first "normal" difficulty game I deleted because it was very frustrating and really took the fun out of it.

I'm playing as the Humans. It's the sort of a campaign mode where you start out as an underdog and the Kor'tahz befriend you early on. So far only the Kor'tahz and Kuntari like me. The Lezgoon were friendly after I killed some Tantik for them but as I've been cut off from them for many turns they are now neutral. Every one else is either hostile to me or at war.

Classic mode has no missions, its just a generic game of say, Master of Orion 2, all races start equally, all based on difficulty, i prefer the missions to be honest, it makes me feel more real, the only problem is the diplomacy, to really not be at war with anyone, besides Tantik, that is unavoidable, but the others, you just technically bend over and take it, you give them gifts and gifts and gifts until they like you, which i think is abit silly, i think in normal mode, the relations between races should be based on the missions you do for them, not how many gifts you give them.

Ashbery76
Vanguard
Vanguard

Post by Ashbery76 »

A good example of how easy it is when you know how diplomacy works,too easy.

Ahem.

Bansheedragon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bansheedragon »

Lithari wrote:
reefs_of_space wrote:

Classic mode has no missions, its just a generic game of say, Master of Orion 2, all races start equally, all based on difficulty, i prefer the missions to be honest, it makes me feel more real, the only problem is the diplomacy, to really not be at war with anyone, besides Tantik, that is unavoidable, but the others, you just technically bend over and take it, you give them gifts and gifts and gifts until they like you, which i think is abit silly, i think in normal mode, the relations between races should be based on the missions you do for them, not how many gifts you give them.
I had a game where I did some missions for the lezgoon before I met them
The missions I did was first the one where I kill the Tatnik at a research outpost, and later on I helped a Barbeck with fuel and asked him to help the Lezgoon with a cure for a plague.
When I finally did meet the Lezgoon my relations was neutral and eventually started to deteriorate and eventually ended in war, despite what I had done for them previously.
I would have expected these things to count towards my standing with them and have better relations with them than that when I finally met them.

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I would have expected these things to count towards my standing with them and have better relations with them than that when I finally met them.
This is why I did not like the missions either.

---The war continues---
I now occupy the home sector of the enemy and they only have 3 sectors left. These last 3 sectors have proven to be a challenge as
the enemy has turned back 2 of my fleets in need of heavy repair. This was because they taken completely off guard when they approached the planets only to get pounced on by starbases which went undetected because they were cloaked (ouch!). The next few fleets I make will be more prepared and contain a few mother ship class.

In the mean time, technology has advanced and my race now has developed an ultra small weapon which requires little space, yet has a devastating effect on enemy ships. All newer class ships will be replacing the majority of their nuclear missiles with the new torpedoes !!!

Now, for the remaining 3 sectors!!

keller~

Zaimat
Dev. Team
Dev. Team

Post by Zaimat »

Bansheedragon wrote:I had a game where I did some missions for the lezgoon before I met them
The missions I did was first the one where I kill the Tatnik at a research outpost, and later on I helped a Barbeck with fuel and asked him to help the Lezgoon with a cure for a plague.
When I finally did meet the Lezgoon my relations was neutral and eventually started to deteriorate and eventually ended in war, despite what I had done for them previously.
With the last big update (1.0.0.88) we changed quite a bit how tolerance works and affects relations and we should really review this aspect with missions so this sort of stuff is more consistent and works as expected. Thanks for pointing it out.
Horizon - Lead Designer | a.k.a. Raf

keller
Contributor
Contributor

Post by keller »

I'm glad to hear that you will be working on it in the future. In the meantime I will continue to play in the classic mode :) :)
keller~